Tough call... but, trading in the FZ6R

BKP

Well... fact is, I *really* hate to do this -- I love the 6R. However, been looking for just a *bit* more versatility, and something that doesn't have my hips and knees aching (after I finally got my butt straightened out, with the Corbin).

I wanted something that would be a little more fire road friendly, that I could tour with, longer distances, and more diverse terrain, improve the ergos a bit (to accommodate my no-longer-20yo-joints), and be as reliable and smooth as the 6R, with approximately the same power band, *without* moving to a cruiser.
So, after a *lot* of research and reflection (and weighing the 650 against the 1000 on multiple criteria), Saturday, I pulled the trigger on a new Pearl White 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS:

Should have it in about a week or so... It's not going to win any beauty contests (although, I like it's 'looks')... but, that's never been what I've been about as far as my bike...

Downside, I think the 6R is an incredibly good all around sport bike (with the exceptions noted above), and it's been absolutely bulletproof. Also, this is one of the best forums I've been on for info, meeting other riders, and civility (so I won't be running off, except to be spending some time on the Strom forum).

Upside, there are *lots and lots* of Strom riders in my area! Couple of years ago, it was between the Strom, and the 6R. 6R won. With the redesign of the Strom in 2012, it pushes it over the top for me, now. I get to start all over again with farkles on another bike (oh joy...). Which also means I'll have quite a few accessories for sale shortly, including the Corbin seat, Puig light-smoke touring windscreen, Shad rack and topcase, sprockets and chain (which I never got around to installing), etc. Watch for them in the FS section....

Anyway, finally joined the ranks of the "once owned an FZ6R."
But, for the record, you're not getting back the t-shirts...!~

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BKP

Congrats Bro. I sat few time on the Strom and I really like it. I will be debating too between the Vee and Wee Strom. One has more ponies but the other one has killer MPG.

Going naked was on top of my list and I have no regrets. But I will admit that my next ride will be an adventure bike. Strom or S10.

Hey... don't be a stranger. You still owe us a full review compare to the 6R.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks, Marthy... The FZ09 was sooo on the short list... However, I suffer from over-practicality, and as *very* awesome as that killer triple is, a couple of my requisites had me go another way...
If you get a chance to demo the 2014 Vee2, do it. I'll take action you put a deposit down right there. Saw it at the Progressive show, sat on it, and it was really do-able. Took me a while to sort out my decision because of that new Vee2

Will do, with the compare...

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BKP

high school friend of mine upgraded from a cony to the strom1000
he takes several long trips a year and when I asked him how he liked the change, he said he wished he had done it sooner... didn't realize how many "other" roads he was missing.

Congrats!
Thanks...

A friend of mine, as well, went from a Ninja to a BMW F800GS... He's always in the north Ga mountains, up into NC, and across into TN... When I ask him the routes he took, he says he can't recall them all because many of the "roads" didn't have names... This from a twisty bum...

Quite a different perspective...

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

rhnatyk

Congrats Barry. That's a great bike and I'm sure you'll love it. There are lots of "dirt" roads up around Elijay that will get you off the beaten path. Should be fun.

baxim

man, Im so jealous, ive been debating on switching too. I think I have watched all the videos on the vstrom. Its a solid bike based on review and die hard fans. It will definitely be my next bike. Maybe next year.

Like Marty said, give us a full review in comparison with the 6R. Subscribed.

Y

yellowfz

The green eyed monster abounds.
The Strom and the others from Yamaha, BMW, Kawasaki, Ducati, Triumph and such are so comfortable feeling when setting in the saddle.
Gravitating that way in the future.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

Sad to see a 6R go, but congrats on the new ride. I've sat on the 650 before and it does feel comfy and nice for the taller people also!
Well... as for comfy, just swapped out the standard seat for a Sargent (much comfier now); and lowered the bike today, 3/4" with Kouba links ('cause I'm not one of those tall people!).

*Now* it's "almost" where I want it... (Which I think is a perpetual state for our bikes)...

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member