Things I don't like about our FZ6R

Pinarello Rider

I have about 900 miles on my bike. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase as it does EXACTLY what I need it to do. It stops quickly and easily, it accelerates quickly (but not crazy fast), it turns well, and it returns decent fuel economy. There are lots of threads on what we like. Here is my non-exhaustive list of things that Yamaha should have improved before delivering the bike. It fires up quickly and easily, thanks to EFI, the dashboard is clear, there is a usable fuel level gauge that is accurate too, and it is fairly priced for what you get.

1. The windshield throws the air right at your helmet. I would prefer a larger windscreen (I know that aftermarket fixes this, but that's not the point)

2. The horn button is BELOW the turn indicator. That's nuts - just about every time I take my left hand off the handlebar and put it back, I honk at someone. And the first 2 or 3 times I use the indicator for each ride, I have to relearn the location of the horn to avoid it.

3. The seat is like a platform. A little higher in the middle or lower on the sides would make it more betterer.

4. That crystal type thing in the front and center of the bike that does nothing. Really? Nothing? North American market gets screwed again (think Ford Focus RS, Nissan Skyline, etc...)

Cerebus

#1: I'm OK with the windscreen just because it keeps the sporty look. If it had come stock with a big touring windshield, it would have turned me off.

#2: Amen

#3: No opinion either way

#4: The whole headlight is ugly as sin IMO. The power crystal thing is whatever the opposite of "icing on the cake" is.

My biggest complaints would be the way the exhaust looks and sounds.

moreno12

The bike for me is good . It will be perfect if it had clipons and a better exhaust

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Pinarello Rider

5. The Speedo is off!! Gad this one drives me absolutely batty. BMW did it with my old 328 and it was a freakin math test every time I got behind the wheel. Now I'm doing it with the bike. Had I known that ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike. The speedo should be relatively accurate. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in over 20 years of driving, and I plan to keep it that way. Getting a 10+ over because I calculate wrong would piss me off to no end.

I have about 900 miles on my bike. Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase as it does EXACTLY what I need it to do. It stops quickly and easily, it accelerates quickly (but not crazy fast), it turns well, and it returns decent fuel economy. There are lots of threads on what we like. Here is my non-exhaustive list of things that Yamaha should have improved before delivering the bike. It fires up quickly and easily, thanks to EFI, the dashboard is clear, there is a usable fuel level gauge that is accurate too, and it is fairly priced for what you get.

1. The windshield throws the air right at your helmet. I would prefer a larger windscreen (I know that aftermarket fixes this, but that's not the point)

2. The horn button is BELOW the turn indicator. That's nuts - just about every time I take my left hand off the handlebar and put it back, I honk at someone. And the first 2 or 3 times I use the indicator for each ride, I have to relearn the location of the horn to avoid it.

3. The seat is like a platform. A little higher in the middle or lower on the sides would make it more betterer.

4. That crystal type thing in the front and center of the bike that does nothing. Really? Nothing? North American market gets screwed again (think Ford Focus RS, Nissan Skyline, etc...)

yillbs

Arn't all bikes off by about 10%, non linear of course. I've never had a bike that gave me the proper speedo readout?

5. The Speedo is off!! Gad this one drives me absolutely batty. BMW did it with my old 328 and it was a freakin math test every time I got behind the wheel. Now I'm doing it with the bike. Had I known that ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike. The speedo should be relatively accurate. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in over 20 years of driving, and I plan to keep it that way. Getting a 10+ over because I calculate wrong would piss me off to no end.

glorp

windscreen-fine for me, maybe you are too tall?
horn button-never noticed, but been thru lots of bikes
seat-find it comfortable, try a 6 hour ride on a drz400 or dr650
exhaust sound-like it, does not intrude at higher speeds

funny little jewel light thingy, exhaust looks, swingarm looks-if i want to find flaws in the bikes looks, i stand in front of the mirror. when the depression starts, i hop on and go for a ride :eek:

if anything, i would like to be able to switch the temp to outside temp like the new vstroms have

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

My Fz6, ninja 650, 250, and just about all other bikes ive seen have the horn below the blinkers.. wonder which bike he's coming from !
I had a Harley 883. Never *accidentally* hit the horn on that. Do it all the time on the FZ6r.

The relearn part is just muscle memory. Exaggerate the motion to avoid hitting the horn.

This topic has been cover many time... :surrender:

Sorry - Been perusing the website for months and didn't see anything come through.

BKP

The swingarm ... looks like crap ... cheapest looking part on the bike.
+1

And it doesn't take a normal screw-in spool...

zcypher

I lol'd at the horn part. I hit mine by accident a few times too, other rider is like .. ???

otherwise I love it! i don't find it heavy at all, I find it really easy to maneuver at all speeds, the bike fits me perfectly. I am relatively tall (6'1), so I can flat foot both feet easy.

i do eat a lot of the wind, it was pretty bad when it was really windy out riding on the highway. I really do not consider this a complaint or knock against the bike though, I knew I would be eating the wind when I saw what the bike looked like and its hilarious little windscreen! So i'm good with that.

I like the look and sound of the exhaust. I rode all day yesterday and was barely sore at all, so i'm gonna say I like the seat too. The thing is just an absolute blast.

Most likely the only thing that could happen is after I'm more used to the bike, I want more power. I'm already kinda feeling like that, slightly.. I mean it still feels like plenty of power for my first bike, and plenty fast to get into trouble, but... yeah.

Pinarello Rider

Don't get me wrong - I like the bike overall. It just isn't perfect - a thread like this can help people who are looking at the bike go in with their eyes wide open.

I lol'd at the horn part. I hit mine by accident a few times too, other rider is like .. ???

otherwise I love it! i don't find it heavy at all, I find it really easy to maneuver at all speeds, the bike fits me perfectly. I am relatively tall (6'1), so I can flat foot both feet easy.

i do eat a lot of the wind, it was pretty bad when it was really windy out riding on the highway. I really do not consider this a complaint or knock against the bike though, I knew I would be eating the wind when I saw what the bike looked like and its hilarious little windscreen! So i'm good with that.

I like the look and sound of the exhaust. I rode all day yesterday and was barely sore at all, so i'm gonna say I like the seat too. The thing is just an absolute blast.

Most likely the only thing that could happen is after I'm more used to the bike, I want more power. I'm already kinda feeling like that, slightly.. I mean it still feels like plenty of power for my first bike, and plenty fast to get into trouble, but... yeah.

linkgt

I agree with all your points Pinarello.

Another thing I want to add is you really have to mod this bike quite a bit to make it look good. The 650 on the other hand looks more sportier. However, that V twin engine just kills it. I finally rode a 2013 650 the other day and it's alot more rough than the fz6r. it also vibrates a hell of a lot too and I dont like the sound at all. It makes corners nice though. After riding the 650, i'm glad I went with the fz6r and it made me appreciate her more :)

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member