Running different after black widow exhaust install

Nrstar8088

Hello all.

I was really hoping to get some advice.

I just installed a low level black widow 300mm oval exhaust with headers (obv) and I'm noticing that my mph is lower now at same RPM than before.
For instance, before I would generally be at around 65mph at around 6500 RPM. Now at 6500 RPM my mph is more like 53-61.

Also I almost feel that there is no power gain in low range which I thought was supposed to be affected?

Not sure if it's because of me riding differently but i really don't think so.

I'm wondering if I should reluctantly get a power commander v ?

I'm extremely confused about power commander (V) / fuel tuner/ dynotuner/ fuel controller/ flash ecu tuner(?) and their differences/relationship to each other.

I don't mind spending $300 for power commander V but would I also need fuel tuner and/or something else?
Like block off plates?
I do have a gytr air filter installed from previous owner.

I have looked up alot on this subject but couldn't find exact answers to these questions. Wanted to do exhaust and that's all but now that it's running different id like to be sure everything is OK and perhaps optimized.

Again I would greatly appreciate some guidance /advice as I'm a fairly new rider.

Thanks so much for reading.

Side note:
The black widow 300mm sounds absolutely awesome in my opinion, inexperienced as I am. It's much louder than I thought and I haven't even tried without the baffle out.

Matt3000

Hey, with a full exhaust you will want the tuned engine. I have the PC FC, and brought my bike in to get tuned by a professional with a dynojet. Pretty sure the PC5 can do more functionality, but nothing you will need (I believe). Also once you get it tuned once your good to go. You should test with and without the baffle to see what you like before tuning, as it will effect the air flow and tune. (slightly, I believe)

Nrstar8088

So after doing more research it seems like I can go get my ECU flashed and that's that.

Or

I can buy the power commander V and try to find a map to install with it.

I read that ECU flash has more options and more detail.

Not sure what to do but just wanted to post this.

Was really hoping to just install the exhaust. Having a motorcycle is quite expensive especially when you really love it!!

Fabes_movin

So after doing more research it seems like I can go get my ECU flashed and that's that.

Or

I can buy the power commander V and try to find a map to install with it.

I read that ECU flash has more options and more detail.

Not sure what to do but just wanted to post this.

Was really hoping to just install the exhaust. Having a motorcycle is quite expensive especially when you really love it!!
Power commander is better IMO. It has the ability to set several different maps so you can have multiples for various occasions. I have read Marthy makes the best maps hands down

Nrstar8088

Thanks for replies so far. Much appreciated

I watched the video and think I might do the power commander but still need to think things over.

Are these maps from Marthy still available and if so with black widow exhaust?

And are they costly?

And I'm still wondering if block off plates are needed and if that's an easy diy job.

Fabes_movin

I think you only need block off plates if it's going from a 4 to a 2. So only you can tell that.

Check out YouTube channel "half click up"
I think he has the maps to share. He's active on this forum

Matt3000

I don't think an ECU flash exists for the FZ6R. I could be wrong but even the guy who tuned my bike said there wasn't. You should search the forums for maps. Pretty sure there are some to download. But it may not be perfect if it isn't the same exhaust.

Half-Click Up

My understanding is there isn't a company out there that will ECU flash the Fizzer.
I myself run an R6 header with Radiant Cycles Shorty GP and the Hindle Performance tune.
I ran Marthy's RevA map for years and it's a fine tune; however, the Hindle tune is dyno-based and delivers a bit more mid-range and top-end pull for my application. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you'd like the Hindle map.

Nrstar8088

Actually i just noticed today that the 02 sensor bolt was out and must have fallen off mid ride. Perhaps that's the cause of the different rpm speed.? Or maybe the way I was riding, I dunno but I plugged it up and it seemed OK on long ride today.

I'm in usa and i think I'll go with the power commander anyway. PCFC is what I'm leaning towards. I'll make final decision by midweek.

Thanks everyone for the info/replies/advice etc

Nrstar8088

So I am going to be installing the pcfc hopefully in next few days if weather is OK.

I got the hindle map from half click up and also downloaded Martha's rev maps.

Unfortunately I must started having issue again of very low mph at 650prpm.

It was 65mph roughly but now it's below 55. More like 50mph. I'm wondering wurst it could be.

I'm quite certain there's no exhaust leak anywhere.

I did try to plug the 02 hole with aluminum foil and I think a piece dropped inside of exhaust but I think I was having this issue before that .

And I will be taking exhaust off and making sure it's out before I install power commander.

For those interested I'll update after install.

Nrstar8088

I was hoping to install pcfc and see how it runs afterwards but I couldn't install it because i had issue.

When the bike turned on and what I believe is fuel pump sound goes on for the first 3 seconds the led on pcfc stays lit but then goes off when the start up sound stops and I would normally hit the engine start button.

When I do hit the engine start button the led on pcfc flickers extremely fast and even stayed lit for a second or so but the engine doesn't start.

I made sure everything was installed correct and tried a few times to redo it.

I Uninstalled pcfc and bike was fine again abs started right up.

Not sure what the problem is.

I have to wait till Tuesday to talk to dynojet.

Ugh

Nrstar8088

Dynojet said to turn the bike on as soon as I turn the key and while the fuel pump pressurizing sound is still on.

But I'm wondering why just about every video I've seen people wait until the sound is off (2-3, seconds) and then they hit engine start button.

I am worried starting it to soon might be bad?

Any ideas or any one familiar with this?
Maybe I'm just a worry wart.

I haven't reinstalled pcfc yet but will in a few days when I get a dry weather day.

Thanks

Rumpig

You can start the bike before the pump priming is completed without any problems.
I haven't used a pcfc so can't comment on the problem with that but something else seems wrong and you should sort that out first.

Nrstar8088

So I got everything sorted out and the pcfc is installed.

Embarrassingly, I installed the ground wire on the positive side of battery. (Go ahead let me know how dumb I am).

So with the pcfc installed the bike is so much smoother as most people say and the response at low end is increased much to my liking.

And I still have the slight backfire noise upon decel which I actually like. It's not obnoxious though.

The other problem I thought I was having was another thing that points to my inexperience I believe.

I believe I thought I was at 65mph at 6500rpm in lower gears but that didn't quite make sense. In 5th 6th gear in at that range. So I think I didn't realize I was in lower gear at the time I noticed the range difference.

So all seems well.

Just reporting that I'm quite happy with the pcfc with hindle map(actually haven't tried revA map yet.) Although I do wish I never needed to spend the 300 dollars in the first place but that's life.

Thanks for the replies!
Be safe out there... guy from my job just died on FDR (nyc)
After riding home from work.

32 yes old 2 young kids and an awesome positive, funny guy.

RIP