R6 front end on FZ6R

Lilday

u said that swapping the front end with other 41mm forks might cause issues and bad compatibility with wheel and such, arent u already doing that with the r6 front end ?
With this conversion I'm taking everything from the R6 and only using the FZ6 steering column. So I can be certain that the forks, yokes, wheel etc will all line up perfectly.

If I change just the fork legs, the original bike (lets say a cbr600rr) may have yokes that are different width apart, even a few mm. This would mean the cbr600rr wheel would not fit correctly. The FZ6R wheel may then fit in terms of width, but the wheel spindle may not fit through the forks correctly.

please dont take this wrong im not challenging you. but if fully adjustable 41mm forks from a cbr 600rr are already "race ready" you could leave ur tripples ans stem alone and just literaly drop them in with the front wheel brakes and everything attached.
I'm not taking it the wrong way dude. I made this thread so people could give their ideas and help out :)

What you've suggested would be another option, but comes with issues with the wheel spacing.

I dont know what u meen by the r6 having radial brakes, ours dont ? i know u either have fixed or floating disc brakes. not bagging on you just asking an honest question, from one rider to another.
Radial calipers bolt on to the fork with the bolts adjacent to the frame of the bike. This means you can put bigger brake discs on (if you wanted) and only be required to put spacers where the brakes are fitted. The brakes on the FZ6R mount with the bolts perpendicular to the frame of the bike, and so adding larger discs is not possible. See here:

R6 Radial calipers:

FZ6R standard calipers:

You can see how on the R6, the bolts go into the fork leg in the same direction as the wheel. On the FZ6R, the caliper bolts go into the fork at a 90 degree angle to the wheel.

Its cool man, questions are good. I only learnt about this through riding mountain bikes recently.

Sorry if people maybe thought I was biting at them? I appreciate all comments, ideas and criticism. I've never done anything like this before so people challenging it is a good thing :D

Last edited:

ylwf3vr

one big question is all this work tp swap front end even worth it? why not get an r6 at that point?
I was thinking the same..

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Lilday

one big question is all this work tp swap front end even worth it? why not get an r6 at that point?
R6 is impossible to insure for somebody of my age in my area.

I love naked bikes too. Bikes with fairings are way too much work. Living in the UK you have to wash your bike once a week, pretty much all year round if you want to keep it clean and mechanically sound...Removing the fairings every weekend is not fun (as I had to do with my old bike).

You can't clean a bike with the fairings still on. Not properly. Having a naked bike IMO looks better and allows me to keep it shiny.

I also have a 33bhp restricted license - R6 would be pointless.

The fact is I'm stuck with the XJ6 for at least another 18 months and the standard forks look horrible, so I wanna change them. I don't think I've ever kept anything I own standard...I like to tinker and play.

On the subject of springs, the swap has been done before as mentioned in the first post and he had no issues. I will be having the suspension tuned after the swap is complete so that should help.

I think the forks should support it well, I myself am only very small and light, and bikes are of course designed to allow heavier riders to ride them safely.

Lilday

OK a little update.

Finished most of my uni work so I've had time to look over everything such as the old threads etc and get sorted.

So:

- The bearings needed for this swap are here:
(For 2009- R6 forks) TOP: 30x47x12, BOTTOM: 31x55x18
99-3540-5 All Balls Racing
99-3538 All Balls Racing

- The FZ6R stem CANNOT be pressed into the R6 bottom yoke.

- One guy who tried it (Vitrox) had the R6 stem machined to match the FZ6R threads and fit the FZ6R top bearings. With these conversion bearings it should fit OK.

- The R6 stem is shorter than the FZ6R - meaning I'll have to get it extended if possible, or find another way to fit the lock nut.

Bearings are ordered, as well as new bar mounts. I'll be drilling & strengthening the R6 top yoke.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Lilday

Updates...not much but a little

- Bearings removed from R6 bottom yoke, they were pressed on.
- Bottom yoke has gone for powder coating. I'm having it black like the MT09.
- Top yoke ordered, this one:

- I've fitted a tire to the front wheel, so that is ready to go.
- Levers are both fitted ready to go
- Replaced brake reservoir
- Mudguard has been primed and filled, almost ready for paint
- Bought some Ohlins stickers for the forks :p

So just waiting for the top yoke to arrive. I imagine I will start the fitting around the 20th Jan.

Lilday

Well, bottom yoke is back from powder coating.

So close...

The top yoke should be here on Tuesday :D
Probably paint the mudguard in the next few days.

So almost ready to go!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

knightmare

I like....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilday

New bearings fitted

Top yoke still not arrived...I've got a UPS tracking number this morning though and it should be here tomorrow.

Lilday

any updates?
Not yet.

Planned to have it all done before University work got heavy but it happened fast. Will hopefully have it done between March/April at some point.

I've found a local guy who can do any machining and welding so that is a bonus. I need to order a washer for the yoke nut too.