Quest for Front and Rear Signals

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Nope. I talked with Chad and let him know I was in no hurry. I want to get a few more parts ordered, such as these lights (just bought the dome lights), so I can have everything here and slowly put it all back together at the same time. And Im slow so Ill need to plan ahead and set aside an entire weekend to do stuff. That said, my headlight should have shown up at his house today.

As mentioned, I got the small amber dome lights for the front. Pretty sure Im going to order/try the R6 flushmounts noted here...$49 for flushies with built in 3 wires for running lights AND resistors in toe make this a win win for me.

Still very undecided on the rear. I may simply break down and get a fender eliminator with lights. I may also get the Motodynamic sequential tail light too. Once I decide all this ill order my fronts. I tend to sleep on things, Im not very impulsive.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Dart mentioned it someplace else, and I dug this up for VA...we dont even need turn signals haha. I dont know what the joker who did my inspection last year was talking about:
State-by-state motorcycle laws

That said, even if I get the sequential tail, Id still keep rear signals too...It cant hurt at all. I dont really want a FE...I actually like the shovel...it adds notice to the signals and plate easier, and, is quite functional...its fantastic for mounting locations or tie does.

While signals are optional, reflectors are required! So if I got an FE, id need to find a place for the reflectors. ...

I think I just talked myself into waiting on the FE, but, still undecided on the sequential light and what rear signals I want. Trying to decide to see where to order from, and save on shipping.

If I got a FE, Id get this (comes with the lights):
2009 2010 2011 FZ6R FZ 6R White Fender Eliminator 2T S | eBay

Deciding on these 2 rear signals:
New 18x LED Motorcycle Turn Signals Race Carbon | eBay

or

2X 18 LED Turn Signal Light Carbon Fiber Indicator Front Rear Motorcycle Amber | eBay

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

So I now have the following, and my thoughts thus far from only looking for a few minutes:
1. The microlazers dome lights: really nice quality, but smaller than I thought. This is a good thing, because now I can mount them in a few more places than I originally thought. But, not many perfectly flat front facing places to out them

2. Motodynamic 6R front flushies: They are the same general shape as the FZ6R signals. BUT, the plastic back adapter definitely doesnt fit. I unscrewed it and it layes flush OVER the opening in the fairing. I need to take the rubber base off to tsee if the light would fit in the cutout. However, by removing the plastic base, the mounting bolt comes off. So I need to see if I can find a suitable way to mount. I will post pictures in the coming days to see if anyone has ideas

3. Rear leds signals with my FE (got them in this listing: 2009 2010 2011 FZ6R FZ 6R White Fender Eliminator 2T S | eBay ) - thoughts: super nice FE! I like the lights too...and the License plate light is good too. I need to look at wiring, etc.

Things holding me up: Not sure about the front flushies or not. Or they come with resistors, but if I decide to return them I will likely need an LED relay since most dont already have resistors. I may need a relay anyway if the back LEDs wind up causing the fast flashing. I also need to pay attention to what wire to tap in to the for the license plate light, I havent looked yet.

I also need to get connectors/taps/quick connects too, but, wont need as many if the keep the front flushies cause they have OEM connectors. I also need to get my HID light back ;)

At the end of the day I may put my light in and put everything else back together stock while I decide on things and figure out if to proceeed, or return to the lights and get the rest of the parts I need.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

I really like these flush mounts. The mounting bracket on the back actually fits perfect into the fairing openings, but the angle and pitch is definitely for the R6. The flushie itself doesnt fit in to the fairing opening. These lights are really what I want, so ill probably run stock until I can find a suitable way to mount them. There is a very small screw port where the base of the light screwed in to the bracket. I could just use a longer screw with a washer (similar to other universal flush mounts) and screw into that small screw port. Then maybe a small line of epoxy under the rubber base to affix it to the fairing. Between the screw and epoxy I would think it would hold. Ill have to sleep on this (I hate returning things!).

It was fairly stock electrical wise. I had things like a TBR and JBP, handguards, stuff like that. But I wanted to lights, FE, new windshield, etc now. Electrical is my downfall haha, so Im taking my time with this.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Here are some quick pics I got this morning.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

lwclancers

First pic, you can see the base of the light with its plastic knob I could likely get a longer screw for...but it won't support much force. Thus my idea of some epoxy. You can see the rubber base as well (it'll help keep it still, its quite tacky)

Second pic, you can see how the rubber base pops off, ill want to affix the light to that as well to form one piece.

Third pic is the disconnected base. You can see its designed for the R6, not out bike...and its molded around the mounting bolt. I naught be able to cut down the plastic on top and bottom to attempt to make it fit, but might be tough getting the angles straight.

lwclancers

So, everyone give me some ideas to how to make this work :) Some illustrations or ideas are welcome, I really want to use these lights, just not sure of a secure way to mount, sigh.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Yea, its maybe 1/4" larger than the fairing opening. Im going to try a little epoxy to hold the light to the washer, a little epoxy from the rubber base to the fairing, then a longer screw and wide washer on the back. Im hooping it will hold.

If they made a plastic bracket on the back specific to the FZ6R fairing angle these would be perfect and a great price given the quality AND resistors and that its plug and play with running light.

bdorr1105

I have not tried these but I have proton flush mounts and they are freakin awesome, they are secured by a bolt and washer and they dont move at all. They look awesome and it comes with bullet connectors so you can splice into your OEM connector and keep daytime running and I use the strobe affect. I got a signal relay that is the same exact size as stock and i have stock flash rate with my sequential integrated led tail light with signals. It came out great

lwclancers

Dumb question of the day, before I cut in to any wires (such as removing the rear signals) do I have to disconnect the battery? Or just the positive to the battery? I'm just tired and can barely think straight.

Decided I'm not doing the small dome lights on the front just yet. Going to get the headlight done, mount the flushies (they look awesome, tested them), and FE with led lights. Once that's all done, ill do the front domes

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lwclancers

Got them on. I used a dremel to cut out the bolt and nut, and gorilla glued it to the back. I then affixed to the fairing with a dab of gorilla glue, and then the nut on the back...as well as a screw into the little screw part that was there for the bracket. I think its fine. Ill recheck in a few days.

As far as function, they work great. Ill post a video at some point since its better than pics for the blinkers.

Attachments