Passing?

Duke

I'm wondering if you guys have seen this, as I am new to the bike world (only have a little over 500 miles on my first bike), this situation caught me a little off guard.

On my way home today I was on a back country road that leads to my house. I'm traveling at a good clip of about 65 mph and I come up to a trike that apparently wasn't familiar with the road as he was doing about 40 mph. As I speed up to pass, the guy started to swerve into the left lane as though to give me room on the right hand side to pass, leaving his center wheel on the center line of the road and his left wheel in the left lane... I've never experienced this so I did what I always do (since I had already started my counter steer and acceleration) and passed on the left after making sure the coast was clear. But my question is, is this standard for a lot of people to allow faster moving bikes to pass on the right hand side by moving into the opposite lane?

No, do not pass on the right.

That's what my thought was. Since I'm so new to riding I wasn't sure if that was commonplace for people to do... I passed on the left anyway. Was just weird...

Not sure about the kinds of roads you are talking about, but it is customary in CA to pass/lane split on the right if you are in the car pool lane (presumably for the extra space given by the double yellows), but other than that.. passing is generally done on the left from my experience.

That guy is an idiot. He clearly didn't want you to pass as he saw you approaching at a higher speed. Oh well, just proves that these ppl are everywhere!! Hope you enjoy your bike and be safe

... it is customary in CA to pass/lane split on the right if you are in the car pool lane (presumably for the extra space given by the double yellows)...

The lane-splitting rule says you have to split 2 lanes. Shoulders are not a lane, so you have to split the HOV and #1 lanes.

Road was a two lane yellow dotted lined road. Pretty decently traveled but not super heavy at this time of day. I think maybe I'll encounter 4-5 cars each time I'm on it. Super long straight away that in my old Camaro we could get up to triple digit speeds. So, not sure what his deal was, I wasn't being overly aggressive, wasn't following closely, didn't even have my brights on. I must agree with Nismos LOLTRIKE.

The lane-splitting rule says you have to split 2 lanes. Shoulders are not a lane, so you have to split the HOV and #1 lanes.

And CA is the only state lane splitting is legal in anyways so that does not matter for the rest of us ;)

Pass on the left only. :cool:

Agreed. What he did was really, really dumb. If he wanted you to pass, he should have pulled to the right and given you space. I'd interpret what he did as "hogging the road" and trying to prevent you from passing, which is stupid, inconsiderate and (depending on the specifics of the situation) possibly illegal.

and dangerous.

i think this is more of what he was doing than giving you space on the right.

That guy is an idiot. He clearly didn't want you to pass as he saw you approaching at a higher speed. Oh well, just proves that these ppl are everywhere!! Hope you enjoy your bike and be safe
:Im With Stupid:The f#cker on a tricycle, he already has low self-esteem issues, and now you are trying to pass him!?

Get a car with a convertable roof... :rolleyes:

If I was disabled and loved riding as much as I do, I would ride a trike. Convertible is still nothing close.

If I was disabled and loved riding as much as I do, I would ride a trike. Convertible is still nothing close.

If my choices were limited I'd do what I had to do to keep riding, but there is no substitute for a bike.

Philisophical motorcylist question: If you can't hold a 2-wheeler up anymore, trike or Spyder?

If my choices were limited I'd do what I had to do to keep riding, but there is no substitute for a bike.

Philisophical motorcylist question: If you can't hold a 2-wheeler up anymore, trike or Spyder?

tesseract1.jpg

Yamaha Tesseract 4 Wheel Motorcycle | TechCraving.com

:D

Back