Oil Filter?

does anyone know what size cap fits the filter. on the vehicles at work we have a black cap that fits right over the end of the filter w/ a 3/8" drive hole. obviously its too big for these filters. would a 67/68mm be close?

does anyone know what size cap fits the filter. on the vehicles at work we have a black cap that fits right over the end of the filter w/ a 3/8" drive hole. obviously its too big for these filters. would a 67/68mm be close?

Service manual says it's 64.2 mm, Yamaha part #YU-38411.

The closest in my collection is a 65-67 mm, which in my experience ain't close enough. :mad:

not close enough for first change or for any change. the first was tight for me, even with a screwdriver. i wonder if duct tape wrapped around the filter will make it tighter.

Service manual says it's 64.2 mm, Yamaha part #YU-38411.

The closest in my collection is a 65-67 mm, which in my experience ain't close enough. :mad:

Well guys just got back in from changing the oil. I took my time taking the faring completly off as I wanted to know how to take it off and disconnect the turn signal. Anyways, oil came out great, wasnt to many metal flakes but I havent examined the oil filter. The oil filter on the other hand didnt come out so great. I had to do the "screwdriver method." First thing I did was punch a hole in the very top front of the filter and then punched out a hole in the bottom front of the filter to allow the oil to flow out a bit faster, making the proccess a bit less messy. After that I just punched numerous holes and kept turning counter clockwise till I got it to budge and then I was able to throw on a cheap harbor freight oil filter clamp and was able to turn it off the rest of the way. Never the less, there is a very happy k&n-204 on there now with the nut! Enjoy the picture of the filter :)

23552_716465834775_21425540_39991482_3921109_n.jpg

I sure did mike! Although I never started throwing tools because I couldnt get it to budge though, which is always a good thing! How much oil is everyone putting in with the oil filter, the little manual states to use 2.96 qts, but in ther service manual it says "total amount" is 3.5 but says to only use 2.96 with an oil filter.... I am confused now

What I would do, just saying... what I would do. Is throw oil in there, then ride around to see if it went down etc. Then throw some more in there.

Back out to the garage!

How much oil is everyone putting in with the oil filter, the little manual states to use 2.96 qts, but in ther service manual it says "total amount" is 3.5 but says to only use 2.96 with an oil filter.... I am confused now

The difference is because some of the old oil is retained in the engine.

Makes sense now, went out to the garage and checked the dip and we are good to go. I also finally moved the bars back a bit as they were up way to high and raked them back a bit and moved my levers to where I liked them as well. Also upped the rear shock from 3 to 5. Will see how it rides now, the rear was on the soft side for me

just make sure your bars don's slap the tank. mine are down a bit from stock too and they are extremely close to hitting at lock, but they dont.

Makes sense now, went out to the garage and checked the dip and we are good to go. I also finally moved the bars back a bit as they were up way to high and raked them back a bit and moved my levers to where I liked them as well. Also upped the rear shock from 3 to 5. Will see how it rides now, the rear was on the soft side for me

Nope they dont hit the tank, that was the first thing I was adjusting up to was how far back they can go at the stops before they hit the tank and then moved the bars back forward abit to counter

Pure One filters.

While I'm not one to tell anybody what to use/not use on their bike, I found the following on the Purolator website:
Motorcycle Filters

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

Again, this is from Purolator. Use what you want.

Cheers!

I personally use K&N oil filter. I like the 17mm nut end, easy off - easy on .

Tnx cbzdel for the recommendation ... :p

I had actually read on the box of the K&N filter for this bike it says something about working better with synthetic oils. I dunno how that works haha but I'm running the Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil and figured what the hell.

I find it easier to mask of the filter with tape and spray the top of the filter with truck bed liner from AZ. Dries in about 30 mins and you get the easy twist off of a fram without the crappy filter quality. Same thing they do on the assembly line.

Nope, thus here is Steve's (wrightme43) list!

Oil filters that will fit
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1.5mm threads,
14 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve,
2.3" O.D. gasket
2.5" to 3.5" long.
If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters.
None are recommended.

AC Delco PF2135
AMSOil SMF103
Carquest 85358
FRAM PH6017A
Honda 15410-MCJ-000
K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
NAPA Gold 1358
Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
STP SMO 17
WIX 51358
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3323, about $6.
Made By Champion.
WalMart SuperTech ST7317,
about $2. Made by Champion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy these filters Automobile Filters,
about 2.5 inches long.
AC Delco PF1237
Baldwin B1400
Firestone TF2876
Hastings LF113
NAPA Gold 1365
Purolator L14612
STP S-02876
WalMart SuperTech ST6607
WIX 51365
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
AC Delco PF-2057
Auto Pro 2356
Autopride CF240AP
Baldwin B1402
Carquest 85356
Carquest Red B4620
Casite CF240
Castrol 7317
Champion Labs Ph2867
Defense Filters Dl7317
Deutsch D-370
Federated Filters LF240F
Automobile Filters,
about 3.25 inches long.
Fram Double Guard DG7317
Fram PH7317
Fram Tough Guard TG7317
Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
Group 7 V4610
Group 7 V4620
Hastings LF240
Mighty M4612
Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
Napa FIL1356
Napa Gold 1356
Parts Plus PH2867
Pennzoil PZ-109
Penske 7317
Powerflo SL14610
Powerflo SL14620
Pro Gauge PGO-4620
Pro Tec 164
Promotive PH4610
Pronto PO3593A
Purolator L14610
Service Champ OF-4622
Shell SH48
Shell SH529
Stp S-02867.
Valvoline VO50
Warner PH2867
Wix 51356

This info is available at Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

I will link to thier oil filter testing as well.

I highly highly recomend the purolator pure one filter PL14610 for less than 6 dollars it is one of the finest available.

The WIX & CARQUEST are the same filter and the specs are wrong. This is from the WIX website:

Part Number: 51358
UPC Number: 765809513587
Principal Application: Honda Motorcycles + Industrial Engines, I-R, Honda (87-10), Komatsu, Kubota, Kia (95-05), Mercury, Arctic Cat, Nissan (06-11), Polaris, Subaru (05-06), Yamaha, Other
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=13/52
Burst Pressure-PSI: 265
Max Flow Rate: 8-10 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Don't know why this isn't recommended because it is a great filter

While I'm not one to tell anybody what to use/not use on their bike, I found the following on the Purolator website:
Motorcycle Filters

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

Again, this is from Purolator. Use what you want.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I have been using the PureOne's (per numerous recommendations from various riders) for three or four oil changes now, and have not had any issues with oil pressure. They have worked great. Just my two cents. Although, now Amazon sells the motorcycle line for around $6-7 which isn't too bad either.

for my first oil change i bought a yamaha filter and the thing cost me $20. did a little research and found that my car and bike both use the same size filter. the purolator filters are near impossible to find/get in canada but i found a guy in the US selling six of the model i needed, so i bought them and had him ship them to me.

Do yourself a favor ...

I bought both the small oil filter wrench from yamaha that goes on the top of the filter, and all it did was slip as I tried to loosen the filter. I also had the filter That I purchased from harbor freight
2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html
. This saved my a--, it works to get a small grip and loosen the filter. U then can use the yamaha filter wrench or hand loosen the filter to get it off. Hope this helps, as I have read every post and thought I was prepared. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-to-4-1-4-quarter-inch-oil-filter-wrench-36778.html

Back