Just Curious!!!!!!!!

From what I've read and seen, the BMW patrol bikes are FAST!!! And recently in California, they're starting to use a new Kawasaki ZX14 built specifically for Police use. These things are far from parade bikes.....

Its actually the Kawasaki Concours, which is more of a detuned ZX-14 engine and at least 150 lbs. heavier and bigger overall.....still blows the BMW's away. CHP doesn't use them for parades. Its more for getting to the emergency scene through the stop-and-go traffic and basic traffic enforcement.

Last edited:
With all the clout law enforcement has, I'm actually really surprised that they can't have one of the major gear manufacturers come up with some official police uniform riding gear suited for bike cops- ie armored jacket with sleeves and pants etc. They can always get modular full face lids as well.

Seems like they are stuck in the 60's 70's mentality when it comes to bike safety. And, that's a shame.

Did they actually buy a fleet of them, or was it a dealer sample?
Im just curious, we only have HD and hondas here, depending on the department.
But when a manufacturer comes out with a new service vehicle, they usually make a few hundred to send around the nation as demos.

When the chargers first came out my cousin had a prototype to review for a month.It had fancy graphics on it and said Dodge city instead of having to change them at every department that tested it.

But anyway that was just my opinion, from here.In Indianapolis they mainly are parade vehicles, before retiring my uncle ran the garage for years, they only kept about 25 bikes, and they were all 1000lb harleys.

The gear they wear is honestly just as dated as the bikes lol.In the 70's, when harleys were fast still, the cops were geared up for the time.

If more places adopt the faster bikes, I think it will become more acceptable for the departments to splurge on modern gear.For now I think they just cant rationalise spending that much on gear for special vehicles.Most departments cant afford swat teams or even drug disposal teams.Funding determines everything.

Until they are forced to change they wont.As sad as it sounds, thats how it works

Yes, they bought a fleet of them. They are slowly replacing the BMW's (Many of the CHP bikes have well over 100K miles). The Kawi's are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, more reliable, and faster. There's been some bugs getting worked out (i.e. radios, accessories, and such) AND the budget problems have also slowed down the purchasing of more. As for new patrol cars, they started testing those again. The Charger just didn't take off well for CHP.

As for the gear debate, the other BIG issue (besides the bulky gear deal) is tradition. As the joke saying goes, "Progress hampered by 80+ years of tradition." As the newer generations rise up in ranks and the older ones retire, you'll start seeing some change.

Last edited:
I guess I can call the one standing up on his bike a SQUID COP!!!! Lol

I guess I can call the one standing up on his bike a SQUID COP!!!! Lol

You've got to admit, if he was rolling slowly through an intersection waving his hands directing traffic you'd damn well listen.

You've got to admit, if he was rolling slowly through an intersection waving his hands directing traffic you'd damn well listen.

Aw yeah no doubt!

Back