Just Curious!!!!!!!!

I notice that when pictures are posted with guys not wearing all of the proper gear they get criticized heavily. Why is it that police officers on duty don't have on full gear? Just curious

See red

It's a compromise..... Safety gear? Uniform? B-proof vest? can he or she still drive it??? Also they take training courses for driving. You too can learn it for a measly 850 for the 4 day course.

LS6TT

They're criticized because others want that person to be safe, roads aren't the best for us. Gear is essential, comfortable or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by officers not, the motorcycle officers here are in full gear, pants, boots, gloves, jackets, bulletproof vests.

They're criticized because others want that person to be safe, roads aren't the best for us. Gear is essential, comfortable or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by officers not, the motorcycle officers here are in full gear, pants, boots, gloves, jackets, bulletproof vests.
Well in louisiana and a lot of other places I've seen, the cops don't wear jackets. Only time I would see them with a jacket is when it's cold outside, which those are for warmth. I see most rash on upper torso as most of the time that will be the first thing to hit.

I understand the bulletproof vest which part of any cops uniform, but it's not only cops I see this way. I have to say since riding and paying attention more, riders on sport bikes gear up more than riders on cruisers and non sport bikes.

I always gear up because I never know when my day will come!!!

It's a compromise..... Safety gear? Uniform? B-proof vest? can he or she still drive it??? Also they take training courses for driving. You too can learn it for a measly 850 for the 4 day course.
That's some serious cash for 4 days....geeesh!

LS6TT

Well in louisiana and a lot of other places I've seen, the cops don't wear jackets. Only time I would see them with a jacket is when it's cold outside, which those are for warmth. I see most rash on upper torso as most of the time that will be the first thing to hit.

I understand the bulletproof vest which part of any cops uniform, but it's not only cops I see this way. I have to say since riding and paying attention more, riders on sport bikes gear up more than riders on cruisers and non sport bikes.

I always gear up because I never know when my day will come!!!
Can't speak to Louisiana, I've been in lafayette and rayne a lot and never seen a motorcycle cop (those cities even big enough, lol)

Can't speak to Louisiana, I've been in lafayette and rayne a lot and never seen a motorcycle cop (those cities even big enough, lol)
I know right!!!! They mostly hide behind trees in school zones lol

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Wooster

My uncle retired as a city motorcycle cop up in PA back in the early 90's and from seeing the pictures of him on his bike, they didn't wear much gear also. Pretty much boots, gloves, and a helmet. As somebody who works in law enforcement myself all I can say is full leather gear just wouldn't work in so many ways. Plus it would just look rediculous with all the gear I already have on for the job....lol.

vengeance44

ya in my city all they wear is a white open face helmets and boots maybe gloves thats about it but i actually dont mind seeing them bc i usually follow them to see if they want to hit the twisties with me lol

redwing-2001

I had the opportunity to observe part of the 2 week moto-cop training course at the site where I teach MSF courses.
Whatever they charged, it would be worth it. It is unbelievable what they put those guys through and what they can do when they are done.
I asked several moto-cops the question about gear and never really did get a good answer except that department rules say they have to wear the same uniform as everyone else while on duty. And, in the event of a crash, one of them said, the way they ride, it wouldn't matter if they had gear on or not, the outcome would be the same.
Not saying I agree with that logic, just repeating the answer I got.

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Parcho

God I love Reno 911.

In Florida I see only the boots, helmet, glasses and gloves. I figure its their choice. The law doesn't require you to wear gear other than glasses. So they follow the law.

In Wisconsin they wore jacket / pants as well. But there were not many lol.

That Reno 911 pic is hilarious!!! ROTFL

Roaddawg

Imagine trying to yell, "Drop the gun" or "Put your hands up"...with a full face helmet on. Or getting into a foot pursuit or wrestling on the ground with a suspect for your life while all in full leathers....It's just not practical OR safe! They aren't out there to drag a knee as they ride as fast as they can through the canyons...or ride wheelies down the freeway. Plus, with the duty belt and vest, your already adding over 20 lbs of gear. So, it's a compromise of safety (gear) vs. safety (life).

Modular helmets would be ideal and I know many departments are starting to use/test these out. CHP has started wearing new textile jackets and they are testing the modular helmets as well.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member