High-tech helmet w/ GPS, heads-up display, audio, rear view, etc.

latony007

Don't think I'll be getting a cruiser anytime soon. Thinking my next bike is likely to be a Ninja 1000 or FZ1 if I can get lower fairing. I know they're available for some years.
i have a cruiser (metric of course lol) and its really nice to be able to switch depending on what type of riding you want to do. I ride my FZ6R alot more, i was going to sell my cruiser but my wife and kid said no they wanted me to keep it and take them on rides. in fact im trying to upgrade it right now. i really dont like 2 upping on the fz6r, passenger smashes you into the tank. And i would accept a harley if someone gave it to me, but id then sell it and by twice as much bike in metric for the same amount of money :)
harley has some nice bikes but i dont see anything that makes me thing they are worth 1 cent more than metric never mind double. But to each his own.

Sascha

According to the cnet review the guy from skully said it would be somewhere north of 1000$ but not extreme. So I would guess the number would be closer to 1400-1600$ for the helmet still out of my price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a cruiser (metric of course lol) and its really nice to be able to switch depending on what type of riding you want to do. I ride my FZ6R alot more, i was going to sell my cruiser but my wife and kid said no they wanted me to keep it and take them on rides. in fact im trying to upgrade it right now. i really dont like 2 upping on the fz6r, passenger smashes you into the tank. And i would accept a harley if someone gave it to me, but id then sell it and by twice as much bike in metric for the same amount of money :)
harley has some nice bikes but i dont see anything that makes me thing they are worth 1 cent more than metric never mind double. But to each his own.
I have a Harley and it will be the last Harley I ever own. Rode it to work today and it just doesn't compare to my Six'R. I'd give it to my buddy, but that would be more of a burden than a blessing.

latony007

Anyone have any updates on these Skully helmets, Or was any of the many people on this site who applied for Beta testing selected?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

MiniMose

i am beginning to think they are using this to populate marketing email lists. also... the beta test, from wha ti understand... will cost you, if they ever choose anyone.

my guess is that they are generating a false positive on demand by using this "beta testing" to prove to investors and distributors that the 1k price will be worth it.

latony007

i am beginning to think they are using this to populate marketing email lists. also... the beta test, from wha ti understand... will cost you, if they ever choose anyone.

my guess is that they are generating a false positive on demand by using this "beta testing" to prove to investors and distributors that the 1k price will be worth it.
you would think there would some kind of release date by now. Or at least you would read or youtube some of the beta testers if they actually picked any. And 1000 is crazy, thats 1/7 what i paid for the bike brand new including taxes and registration, i hope they bring it out at a price somewhat reasonable. You know in 5 years there will be a bunch of copies. Anyway if anyone hears anything post it up.
thanks

Brock Kickass

$1K is expensive, but I really don't think it's unreasonable. High end helmets with no tech features can run $700+. $1K may be 1/7 the cost of your bike but that is all relative. I've paid $500 for a car. There are bikes out there that can run over $30K and there are people out there who have paid $1Million for a vintage Mustang. It's all apples to oranges.
In the end it's what the market will bear. If they are unable to sell them at their asking price they will have to lower their price. If they can't keep them on shelves good business sense says they are selling too cheap. Personally, I doubt they will have a hard time selling them at the (speculated) price point or more.
I bet time will reduce cost. The tech will mature and volume will increase, both reducing manufacturing costs. For now, they will be expensive to make because it is all new tech.
If you don't want to pay, wait 3 or 4 years. If you want to have cutting edge tech, dig out the wallet. If $1K+ is too much for you, go an buy a Bell or an HJC. They aren't loaded with cutting edge tech, but those features aren't free.
I hope I get to test one once they're available. It looks to me to be hands down the coolest innovation in motorcycling in years. It's a great idea and I don't begrudge the founders whatsoever if they meet huge success from it. Nothing ventured-nothing gained.

latony007

$1K is expensive, but I really don't think it's unreasonable. High end helmets with no tech features can run $700+. $1K may be 1/7 the cost of your bike but that is all relative. I've paid $500 for a car. There are bikes out there that can run over $30K and there are people out there who have paid $1Million for a vintage Mustang. It's all apples to oranges.
In the end it's what the market will bear. If they are unable to sell them at their asking price they will have to lower their price. If they can't keep them on shelves good business sense says they are selling too cheap. Personally, I doubt they will have a hard time selling them at the (speculated) price point or more.
I bet time will reduce cost. The tech will mature and volume will increase, both reducing manufacturing costs. For now, they will be expensive to make because it is all new tech.
If you don't want to pay, wait 3 or 4 years. If you want to have cutting edge tech, dig out the wallet. If $1K+ is too much for you, go an buy a Bell or an HJC. They aren't loaded with cutting edge tech, but those features aren't free.
I hope I get to test one once they're available. It looks to me to be hands down the coolest innovation in motorcycling in years. It's a great idea and I don't begrudge the founders whatsoever if they meet huge success from it. Nothing ventured-nothing gained.
I agree with a lot of what you say. I wont pony up 1k for one so I will wait till they come down. I know there are a lot of other helmets that have no features at all and run 700 or more but in those cases you are paying all for the name. Since Scully doesn't have a name in helmets im not sure how that works out in pricing it. Like you said im sure if they are not selling as many units as they need to they will lower it. I do think its an awesome advancement in gear and I hope they are successful. I hate turning my head even for a second to check blind spot or staring in my mirror to see if that car coming up behind me is going to ram me (180 camera) and I hate being lost on my bike (hud GPS) so those are awesome safety features, the rest you can already get in a helmet for $150. Anyway I wish they would at least announce a release and price so I can start saving or not :)

latony007

I cant wait for this to role out... my spending habits lately are horrible so some time to recoup will help lol
what, you spending? nahhh. lol
how much you dropped messing with that dirt bike already? :)

Chuck12

Were can you get a good Blue tooth Helmet for $200.00 ?

Most of if not all the people on the varies:confused: forums I read said that the Helemts that Cycle Gear offer "Bilt Brand" are very low quality and are questionable DOT approved. Lable inside the helmet is not there and not DOT approved.

This is the reason I purchased a Bell Powersports RS-1 Emblem Full Face Helmet from Riders Discount this week for $179.00. Normal price is $399.99. Just hope I got is right in choosing a helmet because I newbee.

latony007

Most of if not all the people on the varies:confused: forums I read said that the Helemts that Cycle Gear offer "Bilt Brand" are very low quality and are questionable DOT approved. Lable inside the helmet is not there and not DOT approved.

This is the reason I purchased a Bell Powersports RS-1 Emblem Full Face Helmet from Riders Discount this week for $179.00. Normal price is $399.99. Just hope I got is right in choosing a helmet because I newbee.
I find it very hard to believe a company like cycle gear would try, or be able to get away with, selling helmets that are not DOT approved. That would be the worlds biggest lawsuit as ALL helmets sold in the US have to be DOT approved. I have 3 bt helmets, bang for the buck you can't beat the vcan 136. If you want a little nicer looking get an Oneil fastrack or the Torc T12B both are around 200-250$. I have the Torc because it came with the drop down sun visor and the color scheme matches my bike perfect and I love it. I also have a Hawk Modular with BT but I don't really recommend that one. They put the speakers in the straps and its not very comfortable.

wow just looking these up again if you wear an xx large someone is selling the Torc for 140 id be all over that. The rest of the sizes through amazon are down to 240

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TORC-Bluetooth-Straight-Graphic-XX-Large/dp/B00D8WQLFA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396106222&sr=8-3&keywords=torc+t12b"]Amazon.com: TORC T12B Blade Full Faced Helmet with Blinc 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth and Straight Back Blue Graphic (Blue, XX-Large): Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/VCAN-136-X-Small-FEARLESS-Graphics/dp/B002CHIYKC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1396106184&sr=8-12&keywords=vcan+136"]Amazon.com: VCAN Blinc 136 Gloss Black X-Small Full Face Helmet with FEARLESS Graphics: Automotive[/ame]

This has straight black as well as a couple other graphics.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Personally, I wouldn't want any distractions. Could come in handy for couriers and paramedics.

Guys are meant to have good spatial awareness and never get lost.

What's wrong with impromptu multiple strange hand signals that no-one can interpret ?

I did like the speedo corrections when my brother put his GPS navigator in my car for a trip to see our dad. But once you know the correction values, you know.

Did you see that Asian movie about street racing scooters where the old racer smashes the young bucks speedo in a yoda-esque moment to get him to focus on the road and not be scared of a speed number ? I like that scene.

latony007

anybody got any updates on the release of this bad boy? The tech advances so quickly this thing is going to be obsolete before its even released!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

latony007

As far as a $200 helmet vs. a $700 Shoei or Arai is concerned, lets just say that like most things, you get what you pay for. Are they safer? They're industry leaders and have much more R&D and testing than pretty much anyone else, so probably. They exceed the certification testing standards. Do they have more bells and whistles? If you mean tech like bluetooth, than not necessarily, but if you mean things like aerodynamics, comfort, quietness, airflow venting, and other things that actually make a difference to track riders, then yes they do.

Really it's like any other piece of sports equipment. I remember when I first started getting into hockey in college and I got a pair of used Bauer skates from Play It Again. They were lower level skates and being used, had been broken into someone else's feet, so they hurt my feet and I had a tough time skating in them. Then I got a new pair of mid level Bauers and it was a nice improvement, but they still didn't feel right. A couple of years went by and I finally bit the bullet and got a pair of Mission Flyweights on a season end closeout. Even on sale they were more than double what the Bauers were, but the difference was night and day. They fit like slippers and became an extension of my feet instead of blocks that I had to fight to get to do what I wanted.

I find it funny that someone who's never used a high end helmet is scoffing at the price tag. As the saying goes, if you have a $100 head, buy a $100 helmet. As for me, I'll spend a little extra to make sure I'm not getting a bargain basement reject. There's a reason helmet's go on sale for rock bottom prices. The foam in cheaper helmets breaks down faster than in higher end helmets, and when they go on sale, that means they've sat around for a long time, reducing the time the helmet should be used. You can pay $100 every two years on a helmet if you want (to make sure the foam is up to snuff), but I'd rather spend $500 on a better helmet and keep it for five years. My head is worth it. Is yours?

I think your reasoning has some basis but some flaws as well. Your forgetting the greed and name brand factor. You think an iphone or a harley is better than an android or a suzuki because it costs more? Think the profit margin is the same on a timex as a rolex? While a lot of things fall into the category of you get what you pay for, not all do. I guess its up to the individual to decide which is which. Personally if the helmet is US/EU certified and bluetooth and comfortable im happy with that. The rest as you said is "features" for track riders.

I guess that means no updates on its release :)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member