High-tech helmet w/ GPS, heads-up display, audio, rear view, etc.

jfont

Why did you have to post this? Haha. Now I've been looking into making my own HUD instead of studying for my midterms. I just want to graduate and get my job already...but then when I think about it more I want to stay in school. Dilemas:confused:

BKP

Why did you have to post this? Haha. Now I've been looking into making my own HUD instead of studying for my midterms. I just want to graduate and get my job already...but then when I think about it more I want to stay in school. Dilemas:confused:
Stay in school... it's a b!tch out here in the world...

As soon as that Skully is released, I intend to have one...

latony007

as long as it is not a few grand Im getting one! hope to get a test version or discount on one!
Me too, im hoping around 500. I mean the components are cheap as dirt now. Really be the screen as most expensive, cameras and the helmet and the Bluetooth probably cost them 20$. Those links made me want one even more. says hopefully released next year.

BKP

There is no way that thing will be in the same price range as a Shoei or Arai. My guess is $1k easily.
Oceanic, a scuba gear vendor, came up with something called a "Datamask" a few years ago. Same concept - and it debuted for about $1,500. And, that also required a wireless (RFI) connection to a transmitter on the tank (for PSI readings). Quickly came down, though, and is now selling around $1k. Had an opportunity to try it out, and liked it immediately.

However, I dive a couple dozen times a year... I ride almost daily... So, this would be a keeper...

latony007

There is no way that thing will be in the same price range as a Shoei or Arai. My guess is $1k easily.
why not, my TORC Bluetooth with internal visor is an awesome helmet that has built in communicators etc. and was only 250. Shoei is the apple of helmets in my opinion. Pay twice as much for the name. Im sure they are great helmets don't get me wrong but doesn't seem worth twice the money.
Oceanic, a scuba gear vendor, came up with something called a "Datamask" a few years ago. Same concept - and it debuted for about $1,500. And, that also required a wireless (RFI) connection to a transmitter on the tank (for PSI readings). Quickly came down, though, and is now selling around $1k. Had an opportunity to try it out, and liked it immediately.

However, I dive a couple dozen times a year... I ride almost daily... So, this would be a keeper...
shout out to fellow diver. Hopefully since a lot of this tech is already so low priced and it doesn't need to be good for the pressure of 150 feet this will start out cheaper. However in case you guys are right I will start saving now :D

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

latony007

I hear ya. I've been toying around the last few months with trying to put a decent bluetooth system in my helmets. it obviously wouldn't have anywhere near the kind of functionality that this helmet will have. I'll definitely be waiting til this one debuts to see what it has to offer for the price.

having a gps in my helmet would mean i could get rid of my gps handlebar mount, have one less thing to carry around with me, and not have to eat into my data plan on my phone when i found myself without my garmin. :D
i toyed around with the GPS on the bars idea for a while but went with the Bluetooth helmet. i think they are awesome. Girl talks right into your ear, plus it will actually lower the music, speak the directions, then go back to music. Check out the vcan 136 best bang for buck helmet i have i paid $110. The Torc is nicer but probably not twice as nice and its twice the cost. will of course eat into your data plan but i think GPS is nil on the data. Thanks again for this post, we are all slobering waiting for them to come out now!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Cerebus

I wonder if they're going to have different shapes. I'm a loooong oval and only found one helmet that was comfy on my melon.

latony007

well it will give you a heads up display for GPS off of your phone thru Bluetooth so in that case it will use your data plan.

Either way im getting one
I think somebody needs to work up a group buy already :D

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

jfont

I'm talking to some of my classmates about making one. I'd like to know how much you guys value the benefits from the Skully helmet. So if you started out with a normal helmet(no added perks) either a $60 or a $600, doesn't matter, how much money would you pay to have the GPS, Bluetooth, Pandora, rear camera view, and HUD incorporated into the helmet?

same here. i'm a long oval and after trying pretty much every long oval helmet out there i've only found the Icon Alliance to work. i'm not liking my chances of this new Skully fitting me. stupid head shape. i wonder what i can do to fix it... :banghead:
If all goes well we can solve your dilemma :)