High Beam Running

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Rookasaki

Wait!! It's not what you think.

I consider myself a mature, intelligent, responsible man - mostly. Having read a lot of opinions concerning the safety value of high beam running during the day, I decided to try it today.

A little background info: My eyes were sand-blinded when I was in Saudi. They've pretty much healed, but it was years before I didn't need sunglasses when indoors. I can tell if your high beams are on in the daytime. It's painful to me. Even with my shades, behind a tinted face shield. It hurts.

Being human, I assumed everyone saw it like that. After reading several post replies, where members stated that it was safer to run the bright light in day, and it didn't bother them when they saw it, I decided to try it.

I can tell you honestly. Nobody pulled out in front of me today. I've been riding a long time. After a while, you kind of get a feel for who's going to be an idiot and cut you off. Those people: The people who would have pulled out in front of me? They didn't.

THOSE people see you. But they don't REALLY see you. You're just kind of a blip. They recognize that something is there, but it doesn't compute into danger so they pull out. Today, with the high beam on, it computed. It was really obvious and rather amazing.

From here on out, I run with High beams during the day.

As for everyone who says you can't possibly sway an opinion with a good argument? :D
Great thread buzz! :thumbup:

CrazyCawi

I have those same emotions after a good night with my lady lol

but it goes :eek::eek::Flash:;):D lol

on a side note: So I have HID....using HID highs...how much faster is my bulb going to burn up being in constant use

Last edited:

ajskillz13

BoneJj

I have those same emotions after a good night with my lady lol

but it goes :eek::eek::Flash:;):D lol

on a side note: So I have HID....using HID highs...how much faster is my bulb going to burn up being in constant use
HIDs don't change wattage when the high beam engages, they simply move a plate that blocks off a portion of the lens. It goes the same for most HID kits that you can put into the stock housing, they generally just move the bulb to a different position in the housing but run the same wattage. That's why when you look at the kits, they say only one wattage rating.

So yeah, it's the same amount of power just shining in a different part of the housing to reflect a little different.

As for the OP, I agree, when me and my friends ride in a group we always make sure the lead people have their high beams on and I myself run my accessory lights I recently setup, bright ambers. It just works to have the lead people run their high beam. otherwise it just ends up with some idiot not paying attention and pulling out. In certain areas where the highway is divided in my town we will run the highs their as well even at night. Only the occasional person will flash but it's not that big of a deal seeing as the large medians they have on that road have a lot of plants that have only small breaks in them. it's like 8 miles of divided highway through the middle of town that they put bushes and palms all in. They are trying to make it so the old people want to come here more for the pretty roads..... lmao.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

i pretty much ride my high beam day or night, i never have anyone flashing me so i dont think the bike hits people in the face they way it does with cars but either way id rather have their attention. Its not even really on purpose i just ride so little at night that the switch just winds up staying on high beam.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Even on high beam the 6rs headlight is pretty dim. Get the HID projector from Chad and you'll see everything in whole new light, pun intended. LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Hey Scott hope all is well with the recovery and your riding while the weather is good.
i considered it several times, several things stopped me, mostly taking off the whole assembly myself and sending it in, not to mention putting it back on and The money of course. I just took it out this weekend to our company picnic and when i got there the SOB would not start. Battery dead, only 1 year old and on a tender 99% of the time (not the last week but not like it was left on or something) i knew this batter was a problem when i first got it because it took like 6 days to go green on my tender.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Mguenther

I have started riding with high beams durring the day. It does seem to get their attention a little better. Of course it started because I got tired of people telling me I had a head light out on my R6.

latony007

I have started riding with high beams durring the day. It does seem to get their attention a little better. Of course it started because I got tired of people telling me I had a head light out on my R6.
lol that would get irritating.

WARL0K13

I've had my bike since May 2011, got it brand new and now have about 30,000 miles on it. And just the other day I noticed that my high beam doesn't work, my low beam turns on, but I flip the switch to high beam and I have no light :/ could it just be a fuse or something? Somebody plz help me! Any help would be greatly appreciated...

WARL0K13

The bulb you say? Hmm, sounds reasonable, but Isn't it the same bulb that is the high and low beam? Why would low beam work and not high beam? Well if it is the bulb, I guess that would give be a reason to pull apart the whole front end and maybe put a projector and HID while I'm fixing it...