• Yes i have!!!

Votes: 276 83.4%
  • Nope!!!

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • Ive taken a different but similar course

Votes: 12 3.6%

• Total voters

b_who

idea came from my friend who is interested in getting a bike and i told him my route of doing the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider course then taking the written to get the MR1 license and how i felt its the best way to go and u get a lot more from it then u pay

and it gives you a insurance discount

Last edited:

creggur

Yep - definitely the best way to go! If you're going to ride it's best to learn the right way from the start - no two ways about it...

As a matter of fact, I'd been riding for over 10 years on the street, 20 years total experience, when I took mine (moved to Florida and it was required to get the 'Motorcycle Also' endorsement on my license) and I learned a lot of skills and techniques I use to this day(from nearly 13 years ago). And learned a lot that I was doing wrong before - it's worth every penny IMHO...

Last edited:

Stephenfz6r

I started :Sport: when gas was 75 a gallon, there was no such thing as a MSF or similar then. Anyway nothing can replace education. Maybe I should take it now and see what I don't know:shakehead:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ajskillz13

Even if you've been riding for years, the $100 or so for the three days will refresh some things you may never think about. But, it's probably better to go an take the advanced MSF for that...

The beginner is... very basic, for people that have no clue about motorcycles, which is why I took it and don't regret it for one second.
Agreed... The first half of the class was even pretty basic for me and I had only been riding for a month prior to it. However, I got a lot of good tools from the rest of the course that will help sharpen my riding skills. I found out that it is easy to pick up bad habits that don't seem so bad when you are learning on your own. This class will teach you the correct form and attitude while you are riding.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Stephenfz6r

I found out I have a lot of bad habits from the course after riding for 20 years.
If I take the course I'll probably find that I shouldn't be riding because all I have are bad habits.:rof:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

b_who

I started :Sport: when gas was 75 a gallon, there was no such thing as a MSF or similar then. Anyway nothing can replace education. Maybe I should take it now and see what I don't know:shakehead:
they also have advanced classes for more experienced riders to help test your skills and increase them in a safe environment on your own bike

i was lucky enough to have an instructor who is also a California highway patrol motor corp (motorcycle cop)
he helped a lot and noticed i excelled faster then everybody else and took me to the side and showed me other tips it was a lot of help. Even when i got my MR1 license it took almost 3years to get my bike and i still remember all he taught me and my class and still read the book they give

here in Cali its $150 for anybody under 21 and 21&up is $250
lucky for me my dad is a big motorcycleist so i did it when i was 17 and got my license:D its a must to me for anyone who has or hasnt ever bin on a bike

JSP

Super Moderator
Nope. Just took the DMV test and rode of into the sunset :D

Spunky99

Nope. Just took the DMV test and rode of into the sunset :D
Didn't you crash your bike?

I did my MSF course on a Ninja 250 because it was the hardest bike to ride. I needed a challenge...
I also got the lowest score in the class...(1)...

vinhdiezel

I had the MSF course back in 1998 and my insurance STILL does not recognize it for a discount. State Farm. But I have the max coverage at $44 a month. most companies will not give you max unless you sit down with them and ask about the policies. Just FYI. I can go way cheaper but I can't get any more expensive :D :steve:
man thats a good price for your insurance I'm currently with Allstate and pay roughly around that much for just liability and comprehensive :(...

P.S yes i've taken the MSF course and do recommend it to all newer upcoming riders out there and even to the old school riders that has never taken it!

thatklutzychick

Ok, so I'm a little bit of a liar. I haven't take then course yet, but I'm set up to go on Monday. I'm a nerd and already read through all the materials they sent me. It sounds like a lot of good info I wouldn't be getting if I just strolled into the DMV and took the test.

ME_with_a_B

I took the course two years ago (before I bought my first motorcycle) and loved it!! I learned so many valuable tips not only about what to do -- but what NOT to do when riding. I encourage everyone I know to take the class, whether they're new to riding or they've been on bikes for years.

JSP

Super Moderator
Didn't you crash your bike?

I did my MSF course on a Ninja 250 because it was the hardest bike to ride. I needed a challenge...
I also got the lowest score in the class...(1)...
Hey now! Had nothin to do with my abilities or training. Basically fell asleep on the bike and spaced off, woke up into the side of the mountain.

Spunky99

Hey now! Had nothin to do with my abilities or training. Basically fell asleep on the bike and spaced off, woke up into the side of the mountain.
Jus spreading the McLovin round here is all....