• Yes i have!!!

Votes: 276 83.4%
  • Nope!!!

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • Ive taken a different but similar course

Votes: 12 3.6%

• Total voters

Doncan

I took the course back in 1991 and have the certificate. I moved to MD in 2007 and since I did not have a motorcycle then or was planning on buying one, I did not apply for the motorcycle license even though I was told my certificate was valid. Moved to PA 2 years ago and bought my motorcycle 3 months ago. When I went to apply for my PA license I was told my certificate was not valid and I have to take the course again. Already signed up to retake it in October. Funny thing is that I went as an observer to the course couple of weeks back and is the same course I took in '91. PA must be special...

FlyZ6R

That's because pretty much every state requires some type of renewal training. Usually if it's more than 3 years old. Even if you had your endorsement on your licence from one state and tried to get the endorsement on a licence for another state, if it's more than X years, you gotta do it again.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

mjesenovec

My story is actually kinda funny. I was always interested in bikes since I was little. I signed up for, took, and passed the MSF course when I was 19, back in 2005. I wasn't in any financial position to get a bike at that time, but I figured if I got my license out of the way, I would be all set. After passing the MSF and getting my M class on my Illinois driver's license, it was just a waiting game to pay off debt and eventually get a bike. I've ridden about a dozen of my friends' bikes over the years to get a feel for what style fits me best, but it looks like after all this time, I may be able to finally get my first bike next spring! Sure I've been waiting a grueling 6 years, but better late than never, right? Especially since my desire for a bike just gets stronger and stronger with each passing riding season, I take it as a sign that it's way overdue.

FlyZ6R

My story is actually kinda funny. I was always interested in bikes since I was little. I signed up for, took, and passed the MSF course when I was 19, back in 2005. I wasn't in any financial position to get a bike at that time, but I figured if I got my license out of the way, I would be all set. After passing the MSF and getting my M class on my Illinois driver's license, it was just a waiting game to pay off debt and eventually get a bike. I've ridden about a dozen of my friends' bikes over the years to get a feel for what style fits me best, but it looks like after all this time, I may be able to finally get my first bike next spring! Sure I've been waiting a grueling 6 years, but better late than never, right? Especially since my desire for a bike just gets stronger and stronger with each passing riding season, I take it as a sign that it's way overdue.
Sweet! Good luck on your search for "The Bike"! :)

Once you get one, you may want to look into the ERC. It'd be a good refresher and maybe knock some rust off. I plan on taking it every few years or so. (Besides, I have to for military requirements). ;)

mjesenovec

Sweet! Good luck on your search for "The Bike"! :)

Once you get one, you may want to look into the ERC. It'd be a good refresher and maybe knock some rust off. I plan on taking it every few years or so. (Besides, I have to for military requirements). ;)
Definitely a good tip. I'll look into scheduling and stuff for that course when I get some more miles under my belt. So far, looks like the FZ6R is "the bike" for me. Has everything I want at the price I can most likely afford next year. However, all i've done is sat on it before. Im hoping I can actually ride one before I pull the trigger...not that I would WITHOUT riding one first.

JustKatie

My experience with the MSF class:
I took the class back in June when it was 110 degrees out. The coaches "dismissed" me and another girl and told two fellas they had one more excersize to "get it right" or they would also be dismissed. I was devastated! I had not dropped the bike or anything that could be considered a danger to myself or others...but in the rider coaches defence it was miserable hot and I also think that played a part in our ability to learn.So, my husband bought a 1988 kawasaki ninja 250 and I took my permit test and got lots of practice the last couple months, I'm currently back in MSF and only have 2 classes left and it is a breeze this time (different instructors this time too). I am in Illinois as well and very grateful that the class is only $20 but some of the backward things Illinois does leaves me shaking my head (i.e. seatbelt law but no helmet law). I bought my 2009 fz6r (white/pink) in early September and find it extremely easy to ride, absolutely love it! The forum is awesome too, such nice people who are very encouraging.

Fzara2000

How's this - I actually ran over my MSF coach before he jumped out of the way. Almost got kicked out too.

Story - First time with a clutch in my MSF class, I had a lot of problems getting going from first and stalled alot because I couldn't figure out how to accelerate while releasing the clutch at the same time.

I was first in line after an exercise, and when he told us to line up with the bikes for a 5 min break, I couldn't get going fast enough from a stop so he started yelling! I panicked, dumped the clutch, went full throttle, and did a small wheelie before almost running him over. Luckily he jumped out of the way really quick or I would have put him in the hospital..
Poor guy had a problem with his leg too from a prior motorcycle accident..

He yelled out that we were going to have a serious talk during the break but either he forgot, or didn't remember which guy in the black leather jacket it was.

Boy was I lucky!

Last edited:

walter kanov

what bad habits?

I am a new rider and took/passed the course a month ago. I am somewhat surprised about "bad habits" that the course supposedly taught people not to do. Everything seemed so "common sense" that to do things differently would be strange. I wonder if someone can share what "bad habits" they learned not to do?

Shuffle_Punch

Taking the class right now, Just finished day 2/3.. Passed the knowledge test with a 98... a few more exercises and the skill test tomorrow.. huzzah

My bike is waiting for me in my shed haha

yellowFZ6r

Taking that course was awesome, and its the sole reason why I have my 6R today. Taught me soo much about riding!!

jocampo

Yes

Yes I did.

And one of the best investments of my whole life!

Since 2007, when I got my 1st motorcycle, a Ninja 250, that course basically helped me to be out of trouble and minimize or avoid accidents.

So far, I had only one scary moment when I was going to break on a traffic light and it was too wet. I did not fell, but remember to keep rear brake applied and release front a bit. That helped to stay in balance and regain control of the bike, avoiding a hit with an oncoming car.

Planning to take it again soon!

RACreative

I took it when I was 15 in San Bernardino at the Honda Motorcycle training school.. not even sure if is still around (that was in 1990) anyway, learned a lot over the 3 weekends! Glad I did it, plus it helped keep my insurance rates lower...

raybob

Have taken the ERC twice. The first time was to appease my wife who had just taken the MSF beginner course. The second time was to get a DoD sticker. Was fun, but the most fun was the California Superbike School (aka Keith Code school) at Mid Ohio. THAT was a blast.

Bob

rjohnson5481

bob, What's the experienced course hit on? Us lucky military guys get it paid for. Meaning it's a mandantory class for us within our first year of riding.

raybob

A condensed 1 day refresher of the basic course, avoiding road debris, swerving practice, riding over road debris, some cone drills. They don't spend all the time teaching you how to brake, start, and stop like they do in the beginner course. Had a little multiple choice quiz to finish up. Started at 8:30am, finished a bit before 4pm. Oh, and they don't provide bikes for the ERC.

I was able to take it for free as well. It or the beginner course was required to ride on Redstone Arsenal (even though I was a lowly contractor). Got my card, thank you very much.

Bob

Shuffle_Punch

Finished the MSF course today at around 12. Passed with flying colors haha

Spent the rest of the day (before the rain) riding around my neighborhood then down a somewhat major road to get some lunch with my Brother..

And I'll just say, I've never ridden before, and WOW... that was epic haha
I look forward to many more times lol

Mr Citrus

Finished the MSF course today at around 12. Passed with flying colors haha

Spent the rest of the day (before the rain) riding around my neighborhood then down a somewhat major road to get some lunch with my Brother..

And I'll just say, I've never ridden before, and WOW... that was epic haha
I look forward to many more times lol
Congrats! Ride safe and have tons of fun
EDIT: It seems that even though people are posting, my post is the last one. I am assuming control.
EDIT2: 4-29-12 still #winning

Last edited:

CDN6R

Hello all,, I have not been here for a while. I took a course in 1979 AFTER I bought my 1st bike,,a year old 1977 Honda CB 750 K. Best thing I did was take a course,,everyone should
Laurie