• Total voters

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

SpencerA

I took it up here in Alaska two years ago. Told my brother I'd beat him with the exhaust from his bike if he didn't take the class before he rides. All you need is to buy a brand new bike and total it because you thought a class wouldn't help. That course has paid back well more than what it cost me. And saved my hide the first time my butt was really acquainted with the pavement.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Enjarin

Elite Member

chrisnlb

I have never ridden a motorcycle before, so I took the MSF course. THe first time I took the class I didnt pass; in fact I was told I got the worst possible score anyone could get. I remember it was raining that day so it was not under the best conditions also I had an instructor who was very rude. After tthat I asked a friend, who rides a cruiser, to help me and he took me out on his cruiser to a closed parking lot where we practiced some basic manuevers. I felt a lot more comfortable with riding a motorcycle and the following weekend I took the MSF class again (with no rain and a better instructor) and passed. My advise to someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before is to ask a friend who rides to take them out on their bike so you can be familiar with riding and how the motorcycle works, then take the MSF class. Unfortunently the MSF class is only 2 days and it goes at a fast pace for a new rider.

Also, here in CA you get an insurance discount for taking MSF.

Last edited:

Deathdiesel

To those who took the intermediate class, what did you think of it? Im heavily considering it, and probably will take it and the advanced course, but if the advanced course is mostly racing then I wanna get more seat time first.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

meganiimarie

I'm lucky enough to have access to the sportbike course, which I really enjoyed. It was only one day but well worth it I think. From what I've heard the advanced course was more based around cruisers. I didn't take that one so I'm simply relaying what I've been told.

To those who took the intermediate class, what did you think of it? Im heavily considering it, and probably will take it and the advanced course, but if the advanced course is mostly racing then I wanna get more seat time first.

tlsollen

Pennsylvania offers the basic and advanced courses for free... I took the basic course last year with no riding experience to get my motorcycle license and t year I went and took the advanced course... They do an awesome job with beginners and still challenge the more experienced riders :)

BKP

Took the basic a while ago... lots of experienced riders in there.
Took the "Bonding" course, already.

Looking to take the dirt bike class... just 'cause...

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

None of the MSF courses are racing.

The current terminology is:

Basic
Basic 2 (used to be intermediate)
Advanced

I understand that some of these course descriptions/names vary by state, depending on whatever MSF and the local authorities have agreed to .

Basic 2 is pretty much the second day of the Basic course, but done on your own bike. None of it is high speed maneuvering.

Not sure of any of the others, as nobody offers them in my immediate area.
Ah okay, so then its not really worth my time to go to the intermediate. Looking more so to learn, than to practice.