Gear Shifting not smooth any tips

jgangoo

Hi

Bought my FZ6R a day ago and took it for a spin of 100K. I found that gear shifting is not smooth in any gear while upshifting.

What is the ideal gear shift rpm for a semi sporty riding? This is not my first bike, so I am even wondering if this is just my bike which jerks every time I change gear.

Any advice is great

Jes

"Hi All

It's been 630 km and since 400 km onwards the gear shifting is getting smoother. So I think it is the new transmission which was bit rough at the start. I was wondering whether it's my riding style. Anyway.. its all good now with a pre-load shifting using the clutch.

Thanks for everyone's tips."

Last edited:
Shouldnt matter tooooo much about rpms as long as you are not boggin it down and shifting way too early. It should be smooth. Normal riding shifting... 4-5k is normal. You can take it up to red line and it should still be smooth.

You should check your clutch free-play. Move your clutch lever and see how much free-play is there. You can adjust it with the roller wheel next to it. Lever free-play should be between 10.0-15.0mm (0.39-0.59 inch).

If it is not in adjustment, it may not be fully engaging the clutch when you are pulling the lever in. Or it can be too tight and always have the clutch slightly engaged.

Last edited:
it just sounds like u havent gotten throttle control down. practice giving the throttle more/less when shifting and see what works best for u (everybody is a little different). i also always upshift between once i get to 8k rpm and downshift when i get to 5k rpm (not ALWAYS, but most of the time)

I still get some grinding going from 1 to 2 at high rpms- even if I pre-load. Low rpms it goes in smoothly... Am not sure why either, but I've been just living with it.., :shrugs: all other gears are smooth...

I'm thinking you might have a problem. I can hardly even feel the shifts on mine. Sometimes I question whether or no it even shifted.

Have it checked. The final prep before delivery may not have been done correctly. These bikes shift smoothly, even new. IMO

i'll have them check it at my 4K service i guess... tnx for the feedback

i bought my bike new and it was a little jumpy at first but once i broke it in, it went away...you have to wait for the bike to warm up before it goes away also. When i first started ridding, i wouldn't let it warm up and when i went from 1st to 2nd it would click click click on 2nd and then go into neutral(it also did this because i didn't give it enough force when shifting to second) if its new and under 800 to 1k miles then start it and let it idle for a good 5 mins. hope this helps!

!!!!

is it that smooth? Unbelieveble!! my feels like I am riding a bull doser..cluncky every time..tried different rpms, throttle speeds etc

I'm thinking you might have a problem. I can hardly even feel the shifts on mine. Sometimes I question whether or no it even shifted.

throttle control

it just sounds like u havent gotten throttle control down. practice giving the throttle more/less when shifting and see what works best for u (everybody is a little different). i also always upshift between once i get to 8k rpm and downshift when i get to 5k rpm (not ALWAYS, but most of the time)

Do I have to throttle while shifting gear? Aren't we supposed to close throttle while engaging clutch and shifting gear?

I tried throttle speed speed (immediately before and after shifting), rpm, time to release the clutch after shifting but nothing works. The bike still jerks back or front more that slightly. However, I found that when I rev match while shifting the bike is smooth.

for me, it doesn't seem to matter whether i (a) rev match, or (b) pre-load. at high rpms, going from 1 to 2 just grinds a bit almost every time- ie almost like the chain is hitting the chain guard or something. once in a blue moon, it'll go in smooth. but, at low rpms, i never have an issue... will just have the dealer look at it at my 4k mile service in a month or two. xP

rev match

Are you dumping the clutch after you shift or are you slipping it back out and applying throttle? You definitely want to rev match on up & down shifts to make things smoother.

My down shifts are ok, only upshifts is rough. I tried both ways, dumping the clutch and slipping it back slowly. Slipping it back slowly (takes a sec!) makes it smoother.

Regarding rev match, it is natural to rev match on up shifts every time? does every one does it?

Yes, it's the same as driving a manual car. You want to rev match or you're going to have that lurching feeling.

do you rev match every time? unlike cars, bikes don't have syncro mesh so that is a good idea, but I never used to do it in my previous bikes so just wondering if everyone else rev match while up shifting in motorcycles.

I rev match for the most part, I tend to speed up pretty quick but still take the time to get the revs close enough so it doesn't jerk badly. Smooth ride ftw over cluncking into gear.

I always feel like when the shifting is smooth, I did it right, when it's not, I did it wrong. That's part of the fun of operating a motorcycle, I believe.

Watch some youtube videos that have ride alongs where you can see the operators hands and how they work the clutch and throttle, I think that helps a lot to have a mental picture of how it is done correctly.

It is really fun to pull onto the highway and run through all 6 gears as fast as possible and get up to highway speed, the FZ6R will shift really fast and smooth if you are in the zone.

Back