Fz6r losing power?! plz help

FitZ6R

When cruising the bike at a constant speed, let's say 85mph, all the lights would dim and my speed/rpm would drop down 3-5mph, like its "dying", but would quickly return back to normal. Then again seconds later, it would "die"(lose power) but then would return back to normal.
I agree with letting the dealer fix it if you're under warranty, but the more you can troubleshoot beforehand, the less they'll F around with it.

The ignition switch is a common link in all the circuits affected. Check the wiring behind the switch, and try wiggling the key with the bike running. Having extra stuff hanging off the key can cause premature failure.

Also check that the main (30 A) fuse and battery connections (including ground cable) are tight.

WARL0K13

Dam I new there was an 8k mike service! I didn't get it because I wasn't sure because I lost my papers that tell me each service....they had given me a more detailed paper of each service, but mis placed it, and I only have one that tells me, service every 4000, 16000, and 24000. I just passed 9000 miles, its nerve to late to go get that service right?

WARL0K13

As for Wat rpm i'm at when it cuts off. The first time it happened, Ithink I was about 7.5k rpm, I was cruising at 85mph. Second time it happened, I was cruising 35mph so about 4k rpm

yellowFZ6r

I was instruced and taught to ride with my high beams on during the day, due to better visibility. Now at night, that is a different story. I recommend everybody ride during the day with their high beams, there is nothing with it, and its not a douchbag thing to do. ITS SAFER!!!

WARL0K13

I have a key chain and 2 house keys with my bike key. Its not dramatically heavy but I could see how it might mess up the ignition.... I Will wiggle it while its running and during idle to see if it losses power.

Grumpy

Sounds like the voltage regulator not the rectifier. However, I think they are contained in one unit on the FZ6r.

Just to clear things up; a rectifier and voltage regulator do two very different things. A rectifier converts the AC current to DC. A regulator is used to maintain a consistent voltage. (no i didn't google it. I'm a geek HAM Radio Operator, ya people still do it :p )

Since you are seeing voltage drops I would look at the regulator but the dealer would just change out the whole unit, have a nice day.

Props! to riding with high beams on during the day, I always do. :D

Cheers!

WARL0K13

Thanks for the input. Do you think always running the high beams could cause this, or maybe letting it idle For too long? or maybe I just got a bad regulator.... Want to avoid this problem in the future.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

WARL0K13

Apology accepted buzzbomb. Didn't really hijack my thread,I still got the answers/advice I needed. So its most likely a fuse/relay....our could be some type of loose or cut connection/wire.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

WARL0K13

No there is definitely something wrong with my FZ6R :-( . Last night after getting home, I left my bike idling to duplicate the power loss issue, I was successful. I gave it slight throttle to keep it @ 2k rpm. It was bouncing, would drop down to 1.5rpm while all the lights simultaneously were dimming(headlight, taillight, turn signals, and digital display) even when I would leave it just idling, u could see the turn signals and taillight flickering...

Chevyfazer

It might be 2 different problems, a tps issue could cause the idle to act up and something else completely with the r/r either way if it's under warranty head to the dealer

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

UselessPickles

If your bike is losing power, maybe try some Old Spice: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ziwz5Ltn-w&feature=relmfu]Old Spice | Vending Machine - YouTube[/ame]

Detrich

i remember Bryan Chen having a similar power loss issues with his 2009...

after endless visits to the dealership and eventually qualifying as a "lemon" under the CA lemon law criteria, he got an attorney and filed a claim against Yamaha, who settled the claim and bought his bike back at near full price. he since had a baby and has dropped off the radar. i dunno if he bought another bike or not.... anyone know?

WARL0K13

Awww man, plz don't tell me I bought a lemon! :'(

Detrich

his symptoms were slightly different than yours, but it was power-loss nonetheless... u can search to find his thread on this forum and read through it. he would be riding along and then suddenly the bike would lose power. a few times he was on the freeway when this happened and it freaked him out. he took the bike to have it inspected by the dealer dozens of times. they'd go back and forth and never really could figure out what the root cause was. eventually, enough time passed and enough visits to the dealership qualified his bike as a "lemon." so, he decided he'd had enough.

hopefully yours isn't the same situation. but, if i were you, id' begin keeping a journal or log book of (a) every time it happens and the symtoms, and (b) contacting the dealership to get it inspected each incident. this is your best bet at either getting the problem diagnosed or getting the bike bought back.

Sorry to hear about this man. :( i know it sucks and must be extremely frustrating. keep us posted.

Superzoom

Warlok,

Sorry about your bike troubles. Hard to diagnose problems can be really depressing.

It really sounds like you have a loose/faulty electrical connection, due to the intermittent nature of your stalling. Have you already gone through checking/tightening as many electrical connections as you could? I've heard many times about someone chasing a baffling electical problem, only to find that one of the main connections to the battery was loose. Could be the mechanic who did your service forgot to tighten it.

The other obvious thing to check is the health of your battery. It doesn't sound like the battery is the problem, but because it's easy and straightforward to check, you should start with that.

Vapour lock from the gas tank is another common reason for stalling, but since your power wanes drastically, that's probably not it.

CrazyCawi

Ok i'm going to start off by giving the history of my bike. Its a 2011 fz6r raven. Purchased in may of 2011. It has 9,000 miles, and a full two bros exhaust with juicebox. Its had its 600 mile service done at the dealership, and it had its 4,000 mile service at the dealership. The bike has never given me any problems....until now. This just started happening and has occurred on 2 occasions. When cruising the bike at a constant speed, let's say 85mph, all the lights would dim and my speed/rpm would drop down 3-5mph, like its "dying", but would quickly return back to normal. Then again seconds later, it would "die"(lose power) but then would return back to normal. It kept constantly doing this for a couple min, I always use my high bream while riding on highway, so I turned it off thinking maybe its draining power/electricity, and ever since then have not used my high beam. But today it did the same thing on the streets, so i'm having trouble figuring out what might be causing this. Can it be my battery is no good anymore. Or maybe my juicebox is using too much power? I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow to ask questions, but wanted your guys opinion first, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
do you have a K&N or high flow filter? I had one and it was a manufactured flaw that restricted airflow and made my bike feel like it was dying 85+mph especially when throttle given....now throw a plain filter in...my bike was fine. food for thought.