Fz6r losing power?! plz help

WARL0K13

Ok i'm going to start off by giving the history of my bike. Its a 2011 fz6r raven. Purchased in may of 2011. It has 9,000 miles, and a full two bros exhaust with juicebox. Its had its 600 mile service done at the dealership, and it had its 4,000 mile service at the dealership. The bike has never given me any problems....until now. This just started happening and has occurred on 2 occasions. When cruising the bike at a constant speed, let's say 85mph, all the lights would dim and my speed/rpm would drop down 3-5mph, like its "dying", but would quickly return back to normal. Then again seconds later, it would "die"(lose power) but then would return back to normal. It kept constantly doing this for a couple min, I always use my high bream while riding on highway, so I turned it off thinking maybe its draining power/electricity, and ever since then have not used my high beam. But today it did the same thing on the streets, so i'm having trouble figuring out what might be causing this. Can it be my battery is no good anymore. Or maybe my juicebox is using too much power? I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow to ask questions, but wanted your guys opinion first, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

WARL0K13

Thank you for the quick reply, yes the bike starts perfectly every time with out hesitation. After running the bike for about half an hour, I notice my headlight gets a little dim, and when I use the brake it also dims. When I give it throttle you can see the light get bright. So its like when at idle maybe the alternator isnt performing well, but with throttle it spins/rotates belt thus giving off more charge/power... So can it be my alternator going bad then? My bike is fairly new, I ride it allot (6 days a week), but can the alternator be bad already?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

WARL0K13

Its fine, i'm open to all opinions of me/my bike and the way I drive. I admit its a douchebag thing to ride the highway with high beams on, but I do it for safety reasons. I won't lie and say i'm a safe driver, because I drive fast and lane split all day, but im On those crazy ass freeways everyday (710, 5, 405, 91, 105) and if having high beams on while doing so can help 1 less driver from cutting me off, then why not? You see r6's and gsxr's with bright hid's all day....

@ buzzbomb.

Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

WARL0K13

What is a rectifier, and what does it do. I will check all the wires, connections, and fuses on Saturday...hopefully it doesn't rain all day:-(

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deanohh

I'd say take it to dealer while still on warranty. Why waste time trying s bunch of things yourself when they can test systems and find out if it's in the charging system, battery, fuel, or something else.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

+1000 on running with highbeams on all the time, it had dramatically reduced the amount of people who pull out in front of me or cut me off, but anyways...

It sounds like the rectifier to me, or it could be possible that the battery has a loose connection and when riding with all the vibrations it could be loosing all power for a split second and only running off the stator until it gets connected again, I had that happen on my bike when I first got it, the po had just replaced the battery but left the negative loose

ajskillz13

Darn. Look at it this way. If someone is going to cut you they are going to cut you off. Pretty much end of story. High beams aren't going to change that.

They will either see your already, very reflective headlight, or they are too distracted to see anything, or they don't care. All running high beams does is blind, distract and otherwise piss off the traffic that is already paying attention.

As for all those other riders? Do I really have to say that just because someone else is doing it, it doesn't mean it's wise?
It's widely accepted and taught to run Hi beams during the day. The high beams on our bike will not annoy anyone in the daylight. That's silly. At night, I agree, but the daylight washes out headlight. You have more chance of your high beam catching someone's mirror or eyeline in the day.

Go run your brights on your cage during the day and see how many people flash you... bet it will be 0.

WARL0K13

Yea you're right, i'm taking there asap....as soon as i'm of work today.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

WARL0K13

Thanks for the advice and the back up on the high bean issue dart. I wouldn't really say "short runs", I use my bike everyday for work. There about 50% freeway and 50%street that last more or less 30 min. While on the freeway i'm always above 5krpm due to being a fast Rider. On the street I drive slower to avoid speeding tickets (which I already got one!), I shift between 6-7k rpm while going thru the gears. I will be taking it to dealer tonight, hopefully the can figure out the cause.