Fairing Gap??

Fzara2000

I was looking at my bike carefully today and even started her up considering I was in Boston last week and couldnt ride and have been sick ever since. A couple weeks ago I was doing an oil change but I messed with the kickstand sensor somehow and I had it towed to a local motorcycle shop, and had them put the fairing bolts back in.

Now when looking at the left side fairing, I noticed a pretty large gap compared to the right side. I attached a couple pics using my iphone; its dark so I couldn't get good pictures. Is this gap normal?

Attachments

Last edited:

Gwai lo 2.0

Looks like the rubber pin may not be in the hole. Take off the fairings and make sure that the pin goes into the clip befor you bolt it back on. I think there might be a tab as well that needs to be locked into position before everything will be flush.

Fzara2000

Looks like the rubber pin may not be in the hole. Take off the fairings and make sure that the pin goes into the clip befor you bolt it back on. I think there might be a tab as well that needs to be locked into position before everything will be flush.
Where is the pin/clip/tab? If its an easy fix i'll do it myself, otherwise i'll bring it to the dealer next weekend

Rookasaki

Where is the pin/clip/tab? If its an easy fix i'll do it myself, otherwise i'll bring it to the dealer next weekend
I want to say it's towards the front of the fairing. Near the front forks... Let me run outside and see...
top middle of the fairing kinda near the bottom of the gas tank... You should see it.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Deanohh

You probably got the wire to the kickstand tangled up in the wrench while removing or installing the oil filter. It is right there against the filter and real easy to pull or kink.

Gwai lo 2.0

If memory serves me right. You need to place the front of the fairings first and then line up the pin which I believe is around the upper rear part of the fairing. Just take the fairing off and you see, it'll be like a 5 to 10 min fix. Very easy, just play with it.

Last edited:

Gwai lo 2.0

From looking at your pics they just slapped the fairing on without lining anything up. Just make sure the upper part of the fairing lines up where it mates the upped fairing just below the fake air intake.

Gwai lo 2.0

I want to say it's towards the front of the fairing. Near the front forks... Let me run outside and see...
top middle of the fairing kinda near the bottom of the gas tank... You should see it.
Doh! You beat me to it!

Ps. Love the pic of your kid on your bike in the sig. :thumbup:
Though the helmet looks like it might be a tad to big lol

Gwai lo 2.0

:hijack: sorry about that, hope you figured out the fairing thing.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Spunky99

This is precisely why I never take my bike to the dealer for work.
You pay for top notch quality work and you get some schlock screw up your bike.
That looks like an alignment issue that I did before on my FZ6R but I fixed it immediately when I saw it.

Ya I had to remove the mounting bolts on the radiator 5 times and reinstall the frame sliders 2 times to get it just right but then I had no instructions or pictures for the Triumph. I also discovered the oil cooler needed backing nuts to keep it in place...good thing I looked and checked it all carefully.

CrazyCawi

That gap looks about the size of rooks gap in his front teeth. Doesnt look normal on him, but your bike looks normal to me!

Fzara2000

I have the same problem on the left side, exact same spot. The bolt isnt even flush. looking down in, it looks like that metal bracket on mine might be bent causing the gap.
Yup. same here. I just went out to fix the bike and it took me 30 min. or so because it seems the metal bracket is bent to hell compared to the other side. In fact, when I push in the fairing where it should be, the screw isn't lined up with the metal bracket hole. The bracket looks like its almost missing a part as well.

See some pics i took just now.

Anyone know where I can buy another bracket? seems like an easy DIY to fix.

Attachments

Roaddawg

That's bent pretty bad. Is there any other evidence of damage on that side of the bike? They didn't drop it/gently set it down, did they?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member