DIY Exhaust Mod- cut off muffler

fazer1

Does anyone have any experience with cutting off the catalytic converter/muffler (not sure it's exact name..), welding on additional exhaust tubing and then using a slip-on?

Can do this please advise any hazards/pitfalls to lookout for.

TN6R

The easiest thing to do is get a hold of Marthy and see if he can make you the adapter that makes your exhaust compatible with any slip on. Once you have his adapter, you can just remove the exhaust on your bike (stupid easy) and then cut the cat off using a hack saw for metal cutting. That's what I did and it was really very simple and the saw made a nice cut, which I fine-sanded smooth after for a mere 30 seconds using sandpaper. Then just bring the exhaust to a shop and have the adapter welded on. Cost me $35 total I think. I just highly recommend buying new crush gaskets for the header reinstall. Don't use the same factory ones -- that's my opinion on that.

fazer1

Hey TN6R, do you by any chance have pics of the adaptor he made you? I don't think he's doing it anymore, I had inquired about his exhaust but I think he said he wanted to take a break from it.. it seems totally possible, cut off the catalytic converter, extend the pipe by welding an extension, then attaching a clipon to that.

I did find this company recently, Delkevic, they sell the header's at about half the price of Two Brothers or Leo Vince, if anyone reading this has any feedback on their exhaust please let me know.

Last, did you get a PC after the exhaust mod? What were your final results, louder and possibly more power?

TN6R

Attached are images of the adapter as I received it with the Delkevic muffler and then also with it attached to the muffler (just for visual). You will have to get the adapter welded to the header and then obviously slip the exhaust onto that.

I left the db killer in the muffler so I did not need to install a PC. If you remove the db killer, you will then need a PC. It's way louder than stock and considerably louder than the cat-mod some guys have done as an alternative. I also at one time did the cat-mod but this is waaaaaay better. It sounds really good, you'd be happy. As far as power goes, maybe but I can't really tell a difference. I also installed the block off plates to kill the popping on deceleration (another super easy job to do), and that just made it sound even better.

Kit.jpgIMG_0756 (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

fazer1

Ahhh so that is the Delkevic muffler you are using, you just got that elbow pipe with the wide end to fit onto the headers and then the muffler fits onto the smaller end of the elbow? Is that elbow the one that Marthy did for you? How long did the welding take you?

Which muffler is that from Delkevic that you have and am I right to presume that you like it based on what you wrote? If I'm not looking to be the loudest banshee on the street, is there a different muffler of theirs, or any, that you recommend with and adaptor piece that you have?

You also wrote that you left the DB killer in the muffler, is this just the packing that muffles the sound?

TN6R

That is the Marthy adapter, yes. I had a mechanic at a garage weld it to the header for me. It was $35 I think for the weld work and it took him about 10 minutes I think. It was really easy.
I'm not sure which Delkevic muffler it is because it came from Marthy with the package but it does sound really good. With the dbkiller in, it's still loud but definitely NOT obnoxious.
You might consider the m4 exhaust but I think it would most likely sound pretty much the same as the Delkevic and I think the m4 is more expensive.
The dbkiller is a piece of metal (looks like a ball-ended tupe) that goes inside the muffler to prevent it from being totally wide open. If you remove it you would need a PC to tune it or you could hurt your engine (that's what I hear). I just leave it in because it's plenty loud with it and I don't have a PC yet.