Catalytic Converter Removal

tdnathens

I cut open the bottom of my stock exhaust as shown by Johnny Watts in his How to Stock Exhaust Mod-Hard Mode. The only cutting I did on the inside was to remove the catalytic converter material and part of the pipe surrounding it. The interior of the converter was extremely hard. Stripped the teeth off a new high dollar sawzall blade. Torch would not cut or melt it. The air powered thin cutting wheel that I used to open the muffler did nothing. I finally spilt the metal tube around the catalyst and spread it open. Hammer and chisel just made me tired. Finally used a large air powered chisel. The material was very hard and just turned into dust and small pieces. I removed about a 2 inch wide strip of the metal tube surrounding the catalyst. I now will have to find someone to weld the removed metal patch back on the bottom on the muffler. I did not cut any other pipes inside the muffler. I don't know how it's going to sound but I hate the heat made by a catalytic converter. It has to lower the back pressure and make the exhaust cooler. This modification will only be used off road of course. Has anyone else just removed the converter without any other changes? If so how loud was it?
Tom

tdnathens

I sure was hoping someone would have an idea of how loud this modification would be. I need to figure out if I need to add some sound deadening material before I weld back the bottom opening.
Tom

TN6R

Before I got my slip on exhaust, I also did the cat mod and it's not really that loud at all. It's MUCH louder with a slip on. Don't even worry about it.

tdnathens

(TN6R) Did you leave the metal pipe surrounding the catalytic in one piece or did you cut it open? And thanks for answering my post. Glad to know it won't be too loud.
Tom