Chain! My @$$! RRRRR!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Dustin600

At 14,000 miles I was checking my chain. I pushed up on it and it stayed up like it was binding. I too cleaned and lubed the chain regularly, so I was confused how it had worn so fast. Like you, I ride in all types of weather. I ended up blaming it on what I used to clean the chain. I figured the o rings dried out and let contaminants into the barrels. I tried to lubricate the chain with many products to see if I could loosen up the barrels. But nothing worked. I decided to replace the chain. When I did, it was with the same DID chain that came from the factory, I was surprised to see that when installed, it was just as tight. I broke the old chain in several spots to see what kind of wear I had and found minimal. Both of my sprockets were fine.

Do you have any pictures of your wear?

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
That group buy is such a good deal...

regder

That is pretty early on a chain, but far from unheard of. I wonder what brand it is, is it DID like on the FZ6 or did Yamaha cheap out for the R?

For reference, the OEM DID on my FZ6 was good for about 35k miles until the stiff links started to worry me, barely any stretch at that point though.

Personally, I'm not terribly anal about lubing and cleaning my chain. I'll generally lube it every 300-600 miles, or after rain. Clean it with Kerosene and a Tirox brush every 600-1200 miles. First chain on my FZ6 lasted about 35k miles, second chain (DID 530VM, bling bling! :)) is currently at about 25k miles and still looks good.

Edit: Just read the chain replacement thread and I see the FZ6R has a 520 chain, where the regular 6 has a 530. If you care more about longevity than performance, might want to switch it up to a 530.

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

My stock DID died early at about 12K. O-rings were coming apart/flying off, constant adjustment was needed.

The grunge brushes do more harm than good.They are far too stiff and actually cause O-ring damage/wear. Just use a rag and your cleaner of choice. Eff the brush.

Also, how are you lubricating the chain ? Spin the tire and just let the lube fly ? Or actually putting it on the o-rings between the plates ? I found i wasn't lubricating correctly either. My new DID X ring has been solid so far, but no more brush cleanings for me + using lube where it needs to be.

Fizzi6ergal

I replaced my chain and sprockets at 15,500 miles. I was too only about half way on the marks on the swingarm. My chain had a few kinks in it, but not bad. One thing that would get me is the clank clank clank that my chain would let me listen to as it went round and round on my sprockets. I replaced it with an EK x-ring chain. The way I usually clean mine is prop the rear-end up, and "super clean" the chain(kinda like brake/parts cleaner, but not as potent). Then I would pressure wash the sh*t out of it. Then I would spray the lube on the chain on the bottom then spin it and then spray, let it sit for just a second for the lube to work it's way down etc etc...I think I lubed my chain a little too much cause when I replaced my chain and sprockets, the cover that covers the counter-shaft sprocket was filled with dirt/excess lube. And it was a pain in the a$$ to clean off.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

geez, you guys should REALLY take better care of your chain (& sprockets)!! :Flip:

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Superzoom

Based on some of your responses, now I'm wondering if thoroughly cleaning your chain too often with kerosine and/or a grunge brush does more harm than good. Theoretically, if you clean the chain really well, you remove all external lube. Then, when you re-lube the chain and happen to miss a spot, which is really quite possible, that spot will receive more wear.

I have heard of people having extremely good chain life with those Scottoiler type constant lubers. I'm guessing those users probably don't clean their chain as often as you guys, so their chain is always saturated in oil.

My chain maintenance is a genuine horror show. I've got about 15 000 miles on my bike, and my chain is just now starting to kink. My maintenance has consisted of oiling the chain with 90 weight oil once every 600 miles or so, and I have NEVER CLEANED IT. Ridden the bike through hours and hours of pouring rain and sometimes went for hundred of miles after rain without re-lubing. So I've given the chain hell, and it's only now giving up the ghost.

So I guess my advice is clean your chain less, lube it lots, and don't sweat it. Just consider the chain an expendable, like spark plugs or oil filters. A chain and sprockets are pricey, but your time is valuable too.

Alex6

Tora Tanshi is my bike. Japanese translation for Tiger Angel.

Edit: I'm not busting on anyone hard, here. But seriously? "My Tora Tanshi" and you don't know to what I'm referring? What the heck did you think I was talking about, LOL? How many things do you own that have sprockets and a chain, and you would be referencing in a chain and sprocket thread on the FZ6R forum? :cool:
You have a name for your motorcycle?!
Did you name your refrigerator and a dishwasher too? :rolleyes:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member