Chain! My @$$! RRRRR!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

regder

yep, "masterlink" is just how you connect the ends... it can be clip or rivet... that's why I had asked Marthy on the group buy to clarify which it came with...

and you just need a hacksaw/dremel/etc... to take off the old chain, you don't "have" to press out the master link... matter of fact, we couldn't find it on the stock chain, so we just used a grinder and got it off... even with a press, you have to grind off the heads, it just pushes the pins back out

this is the one we got: Motion Pro 08-0058 Chain Breaker and Riveting Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

presses the side plate on and knurls the rivets...
Yup, once you grind the heads off, you can pull the plates apart with a screwdriver.

I bought a fake Motion Pro chain tool, looks the same as above, obviously lower quality, cost me $20. Riveted the chain on just fine.

SurfJunkie

yep, "masterlink" is just how you connect the ends... it can be clip or rivet... that's why I had asked Marthy on the group buy to clarify which it came with...

and you just need a hacksaw/dremel/etc... to take off the old chain, you don't "have" to press out the master link... matter of fact, we couldn't find it on the stock chain, so we just used a grinder and got it off... even with a press, you have to grind off the heads, it just pushes the pins back out

this is the one we got: Motion Pro 08-0058 Chain Breaker and Riveting Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive

presses the side plate on and knurls the rivets...
Yep. Cyclegear has the same tool but in a nifty red box, and labeled as "stockton tool company" or MADE IN CHINA and is the EXACT same tool as the motion pro.

To get the old chain off: i picked a link and hit it with a grinder till the mushroom end was flat with the plate, then pressed it out with the tool.