MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SurfJunkie

As i had stated , a grunge brush damages O-rings and may contribute to pre-mature chain wear. They are much too stiff.

1. Change the chain now. Dont wait. If you ride/commute every day, just do it now. It is your only means of power to the ground and losing one at freeway speeds will NOT be a good time. Use a rivet link on the new chain or face potential master link DESTRUCTION.

2. 12-15K is about average for most chains. Maybe ditch the brush and just use a rag on the new chain and see if it lasts longer. Keep in mind when you lube, lube the o-rings not the rollers. My stock DID chain was toast at 12-13K. O-rings were coming apart and getting stuck in the grease pile under the primary cover. Ive since switched to their X-ring and ditched the grunge brush.

3. Sprockets look OK ? If they are worn down or no longer uniform, may as well swap those while you are in there. NOTE: Get the primary loose before you remove the chain.

Superzoom

I don't think it's the grunge brush. The bristles are hard, yes. But they do not reach the O-rings. The O-rings are internal, in the links. The brush cannot touch them.
I thought the point of the grunge brush was to get into the little cracks and crevasses of your chain. And I thought the o-rings were in fact quite exposed, between the inner and outer side plates. I would imagine it would be impossible to avoid scrubbing the o-rings with the grunge brush bristles. Can you explain how you don't touch the o-rings with the brush?

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Hey guys, gunna attempt to sightly derail here, what do you guys consider clean and dirty chains? got pics?

Just cleaned and lubed my chain, and man it seems like you can never get all the black off, no matter how hard you try. FWIW I use a rag, no brush. I would love to get a white chain someday, but im afraid it would look filthy always.

FastFreddy

My chain always looks brand new, I'd be embarassed if I couldn't see shiny metal on every link.

1. Kero in a spray bottle, pump about 400ml onto the chain, spray more on sticky links.
2. Wipe with 2 old Tshirts. Dirty-ish one first, then the cleaner rag.
3. Apply lube. ( I like the 1/2 wax, 1/2 oily ones, most are too oily or too waxy)

It takes about 5-10 minutes. I've got all the sprays and cleaning products in my car boot these days.

I used to use a grunge brush, but stopped after the first chain didn't last as long as expected. The 2nd chain and sprockets have already lived longer and I've only done 1 adjustment of tension in 20000km with the routine above.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

xenofiler

Getting the right chain. Help?

So, I have a FZ6R 2010 14700 miles. Bought new and now it looks like its time to change the chain. I went to the shop where i have it serviced and they showed me the supplies and gave me tips to make it last a bit longer. I have a bunch of links that are stiff and after 3 hours of cleaning with degreaser first using the Grunge Brush. When I washed down the chain and then took a towel to it to wipe off the excess I found multiple links that were stiff, locked into position and some could not be loosened up. I then used some WD40 and was able to loosen up some links but there are some links that could not be loosened up. The chain has not severely stretched out maybe .5 of a tick on bar.

So as a preventive I started looking at chains.
Looking here I am confused. Street Motorcycle Roller Chains Chains Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore

I know my chain is a 520 and 118 links for a stock setup. My sprockets have limited wear and can keep going with a chain replacement for now.

So Any suggestions on what manufacturers you have had good experiences with? Is there better places to look? My cost range is 30-60 USD at this time. However I can plead my case with my wife (usually she just goes with what I say) and increase that up to $100.00. I was really looking forward either an inexpensive chain or chain/sprocket deals.
Oh and my riding is 6 miles a day round trip with weekend rides of up to 600miles with speeds sometimes exceeding 120mph. The weather here is foggy, on the coast and a very short summer with lots of rain/salt. I would like to be able to find a chain that works with the weather conditions and my riding.

Thanks everybody for your time and possible future responses.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

SurfJunkie

All chains come with a master CLIP link.
I paid the extra 3-5 bucks and got the RIVET master link.

Cyclegear is always running a sale on their "Stockton tool company" chain breaker/riveter/presser. Its about 18 dollars if you buy something, and about 60-80 if bought alone not on sale.

You kinda need it to press the pin out on the old chain,compress the outer links of the new, and flare the rivet link.