Carl & Becky

Carl

Hows it going everyone? My name is Carl and I just wanted to give a brief introduction. I'm 25 living in north Jersey. I recently purchased a brand new (left over) 2013 FZ6R in June and I have named her Becky. I was lucky enough to get the bike with 0 miles on it. So far I have put around 850 miles on her but I still haven't don't my 600 mile service. This is my 3rd bike. I have owned an 03 and an 07 GSXR 600. This is my first bike I bought brand new.

I will do my 600 mile service on Monday. Its my only day off for that week.

Plans
  • LED flush mount turn signals
  • Red Shorty Levers
  • Black Wind Screen
  • M4 Exhaust
  • LED Tail Lights
  • Fender Eliminator
  • Remove all decals

The day after she was assembled and was ready to be taken home.

I know it says Trip A but the odometer reads the same. This was before the mechanic took her out for a spin before the dealership handed her over to me.

I do have some questions that I hope some of you can clarify for me. When i'm done filling up and turn the bike on, I only have 5 bars. Is that normal? Or is the bar next to the "F" not used?

I've also read that at first, I need to cycle a few tanks through the bike before my fuel economy picks up. At what mileage do you think it should start to pick up? And yes, I have used the search feature, I would just like confirmation.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Welcome Carl!
Dont believe the F meter either!
(F flashes when on reserve and counts how many miles you hav travelled since hitting reserve)
You can safely travel about 30miles before she is out of fuel

Happy riding!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

lytehouse

Super Moderator
:welcome: aboard!

Carl

Glad you could join the cult — I mean forum. Expect your ceremonial riding suit and special Dainese boots to arrive in a few days, along with complimentary Kool-Aid.

All kidding aside; in your picture, you show the normal 6 bars for the fuel meter. I know I fill up until it settles in the holes at the bottom of the filler neck. As for cycling a few tanks through for fuel economy, I've never heard of that before. My best guess is that it's more reflective of following the break-in procedures. However, I've tracked every fueling with my bike since purchase and haven't noticed much change, and I followed Yamaha's break-in guidelines. I've averaged around 52mpg since the beginning.
Welcome Carl!
Dont believe the F meter either!
(F flashes when on reserve and counts how many miles you hav travelled since hitting reserve)
You can safely travel about 30miles before she is out of fuel

Happy riding!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
There are two Fs. One goes with the "E" and is at the far end of the bars that doesn't flash, and another just to the right of the clock, part of "F-Trip" that flashes when you're on 'reserve'.
:welcome: aboard!
Thanks for all the greeetings everyone. I should have phrased my question better. How many bars is a full tank? I always get 5 when I fill up.

blkbrd

Elite Member

Carl

Welcome to the forum and a great all around motorcycle!! 6 Bars is a full tank. Your picture above is showing 6, I'm not sure why it would only show 5 when full now. Might want to have the dealer have a look?
I figured something wasn't right. I was hoping to do my 600 mile oil change on Monday but I was asked to work. I might just pay the $200 bucks for the oil change and all the other stuff they do at the dealership :(

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

I figured something wasn't right. I was hoping to do my 600 mile oil change on Monday but I was asked to work. I might just pay the $200 bucks for the oil change and all the other stuff they do at the dealership :(
The reason i took in for that first service and paid the over inflated price is because i wanted them to check their assembly more than anythign. make sure nothing was going to come lose or fall off on me :)

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. Aside from being about 100 times more comfy you don't normally see young guys going from a GIXR to FZ6r?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Carl

The reason i took in for that first service and paid the over inflated price is because i wanted them to check their assembly more than anythign. make sure nothing was going to come lose or fall off on me :)

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. Aside from being about 100 times more comfy you don't normally see young guys going from a GIXR to FZ6r?
I knew someone was going to bring that up lol. I bought the 03 for $1500 because my buddy just wanted to get rid of it. I later sold that for more than I payed. When I bought the 07, I was in the business of flipping cars. I bought a POS civic with a swap for $800. I traded that civic for the 07. Later on in the summer, my family was going through some financial struggles so I sold the bike to help pay the bills. The bike was a luxury that I honestly didn't need at the time. So, 2 years later when everything has settled down, I bought the fz because I wanted a brand new bike and I got it for a decent price.
Welcome, I'm in CNJ, if you ever wanna ride.
Im always down when im free. Im from Essex County.

Carl

Just curious, but do you fill the bike on the side stand? If you do, then the tank is not actually "full." Fill the bike while sitting on it and holding it upright, to about a 1/2 inch to an inch below the metal "screen."

Keep in mind that if you use that method, you've got to burn some fuel before you stop again, otherwise you'll just lose it out of the overflow when you park it. It will however give you a truly full tank to see if you once again get six bars.

Oh, and welcome!
Yeah I use the kick stand when I fill up. I never had that problem with the gixxer. I'll give that a try next time the weather breaks 55 lol

Off topic: What settings do I go to to change the amount of posts per page? I don't want 10 posts per page before it adds a page. Im used to 50 posts per page.

Last edited:

latony007

I knew someone was going to bring that up lol. I bought the 03 for $1500 because my buddy just wanted to get rid of it. I later sold that for more than I payed. When I bought the 07, I was in the business of flipping cars. I bought a POS civic with a swap for $800. I traded that civic for the 07. Later on in the summer, my family was going through some financial struggles so I sold the bike to help pay the bills. The bike was a luxury that I honestly didn't need at the time. So, 2 years later when everything has settled down, I bought the fz because I wanted a brand new bike and I got it for a decent price.

Im always down when im free. Im from Essex County.
well i hear that, i wanted a new bike for my first sport bike just because i wanted no troubles, and it to be nice and shiny :)
but unless its all about speed, which i dont see in NJ, i think you will like the FZ6R better, its super smooth and like a said wayyyy more comfortable than a GIXR, especially if you have your seat redone. Search Dirt Road Custom for a link on seats. Stay warm!

Carl

well i hear that, i wanted a new bike for my first sport bike just because i wanted no troubles, and it to be nice and shiny :)
but unless its all about speed, which i dont see in NJ, i think you will like the FZ6R better, its super smooth and like a said wayyyy more comfortable than a GIXR, especially if you have your seat redone. Search Dirt Road Custom for a link on seats. Stay warm!
I was comfortable on the gixxer but of course the fz is more comfortable. I havent even messed with different seat heights yet. Speaking of warm, lately its been between 28-34 degrees daily. Supposed to hit 66 on monday but its supposed to rain. Go figure.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member