Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

bmw675

twenty questions...

1: what does your wife do for a living?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Ok, first, I never said you'd all want one. I said you'd love it and it might start a revolution. I think I also said it was going to be a "love it" or "hate it" mod. ;) No, not everyone will like it.

Ok... I'm not going to have the time to finish this this week and I am traveling this weekend so I'm going to show you all what the finished FZ1 will look like. These are not pictures of my bike, but others who have done this. I am doing the same with her FZ6R and will post up the pics, parts and how-to once it is all done. I can't see keeping it from you all for another two weeks because I am strapped for time.

The reason this mod fits for the two of us is we NEVER take a pillion on either bike. As a matter of fact, I no longer have pillion brackets and pegs mounted. :D

So, here's what the bikes will be fashioned after. We went on the cheap not knowing if we're going to like this or not and decided that later, if we like it a lot, we'd replace the cheaper cases with Shad or Givi. What we both hate about using THEIR mounts is the trunk hanging out over the end of the bike. Both of us agree it isn't a look we'd want to have.

When I said going on the cheap, here is the case people are using. It's really not all that bad and seems fairly sturdy. Click the picture to get to the Sears site for ordering. BTW, we both got the larger case.

Attachments

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
We'll both still have the stock seats in the event we did want to return the bike to stock or take passengers. Plus, I'll have the third option of the Copperdog seat cowl to replace the trunk or my pillion seat. :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm totally digging it!! :thumbup:

I saw this done on another bike before. They removed the rear seat and fashioned a steel plate to serve as the mounting bracket. Very convenient, and if you have a spare seat or cowl, you can always go back to not having the case.

Once you get back from your travels, let us know how the project goes! :D

Heineken

Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I like that idea, don't get me wrong....:drool: I love it. Cheap, on the budget etc. but I can't see nothing wrong with this either.....

55 liters of storage... and odd enough I don't find it to be too big.... it can fit two full face helmets without breaking a sweat and then some :) :thumbup:

All that aside, anybody selling a pillion seat? :D
There's nothing wrong with that at all. :D For us, it is the location of it though, that is all. What you have is a necessity if you take on a passenger while trunking it. I would buy the top case rack for either bike if we needed two-up riding while touring.

I can tell you that the only problem I see is we have to commit to memory a new way to throw a leg over the seat, but it's no different than when we loaded the bikes with soft luggage for our long tours.

I'm rethinking the cut-down hockey pucks for spacers and might go with some PVC pipe instead. The cool thing about the pucks is their ability to spread the load out more than the PVC though.

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I don't have exact measurements on them but here are pics of mine I posted on the FZ1 site. I'll get some measurements for you tonight (if I remember!) :D The last pic shows my XL Shoei RF-1000 in the case as a reference for now.

Attachments

MikeN02

You said we'd either love it or hate it...

I don't feel anything from it... mainly because it doesn't have to really do with me as I don't travel out of state or long trips on my bike for the need to carry luggage. If I can't fit it in my backpack them I'm taking my brothers car.

JonKerr

Elite Member

xplodnstar

Sorry, I'm being lazy here..... Love the bag idea, but I don't have a use for it yet. I do, however, have my stock passenger seat and wanted to check if anyone still needed one. The thread got too long for me to read all the way through.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
You finish your project yet? Did you see this one?

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/top-case-cheap-15604/
Yup. Saw that and that is essentially what I am doing, just with some spacers to raise it up. I have not finished because of too many other projects happening, family matters, work overload and trying to squeeze some riding time in. It's nearly ready, just need to fine tune the spacers and get the proper length carriage bolts. I'm using carriage bolts so no one can undo what is done. :D

Roaddawg

Yup. Saw that and that is essentially what I am doing, just with some spacers to raise it up. I have not finished because of too many other projects happening, family matters, work overload and trying to squeeze some riding time in. It's nearly ready, just need to fine tune the spacers and get the proper length carriage bolts. I'm using carriage bolts so no one can undo what is done. :D
I haven't really looked at the passenger seat, but do you think there's a "do-it-yourself" way to make some type of pan/bracket to mount where the seat is without mounting to an actual seat? Like the cowling but flat on top for the box mounting plate. And, I say "do-it-yourself", because I know with money, anything could be fabbed....but I'm all about doing it cheap....price that is, not quality.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I haven't really looked at the passenger seat, but do you think there's a "do-it-yourself" way to make some type of pan/bracket to mount where the seat is without mounting to an actual seat? Like the cowling but flat on top for the box mounting plate. And, I say "do-it-yourself", because I know with money, anything could be fabbed....but I'm all about doing it cheap....price that is, not quality.
Absolutely. You can fab a pan/plate of your own and so long as you can duplicate the tabs/hooks and pressure points, you can certainly make something that will lock. It will take some time and effort but can be done cheaply.

This is what Copperdog did for the FZ1 with his seat cowl. He originally made them using OEM Yamaha seats and modding the pan. Now, it's a 100% built-from-scratch item to replace the FZ1 pillion seat.

SeatCowl

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

Jay S.

Bump???

FZ or Heineken...pics? (pretty please)

:thumbup: