Which oil filter are you using?

jgelack

I just hit 4K and decided it's time to switch over to synthetic (Amsoil). I've been running OEM filters from day one, and I'm trying to decide if I should continue to do so or switch to something else now. I know better than to ask what filter is best, as I know those kind of questions can get pretty heated! So instead let me just ask what filer are you using, and have you been happy with it? Just to get an idea. Thanks

Superzoom

There's a pretty big consensus on this forum that the K&N KN-204 is a good filter that comes with a nut on the end that makes removal a snap.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

BzB

k&n for me. recently changed my oil and basically destroyed the oem filter trying to get it off. there's not a lot of clearance to work with to get the oem off. the nut on the end of the k&n much easier to work with.

Drennan57

k&n for me. recently changed my oil and basically destroyed the oem filter trying to get it off. there's not a lot of clearance to work with to get the oem off. the nut on the end of the k&n much easier to work with.
It's called a filter wrench, they are like $3 -_-

blkbrd

Elite Member

BzB

It's called a filter wrench, they are like $3 -_-
simple fact is the k&n with the nut on the end is more convenient in every facet. my wrench that i use for everything else works just fine on the k&n. i won't need to concern myself with any potential clearance or grip issues using oem style filter and filter wrench.

i'm a big advocate of options. mine is to use the one i like and you can use the one you like. not rocket surgery. :iconbeer:

xorbe

I just hit 4K and decided it's time to switch over to synthetic (Amsoil). I've been running OEM filters from day one, and I'm trying to decide if I should continue to do so or switch to something else now. I know better than to ask what filter is best, as I know those kind of questions can get pretty heated! So instead let me just ask what filer are you using, and have you been happy with it? Just to get an idea. Thanks
Definitive thread:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/230250-post4.html
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/oil-filter-17743/

:thumbup:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

jgelack

Can someone correct me if my thinking is wrong. I would think the OEM filter is what is best for our bike, as it was designed specifically for our bike. Where as these other aftermarket filters were not. It looks like a lot of them are designed for cars.I do understand that Yamaha does not make the their own filters, but instead contracts them out. But I'm sure they set certain standards for the filter that need to be met by whom ever is manufacturing them, am I wrong?

Superzoom

Just as you could use the absolute cheapest engine oil in our bikes and still get over 100,000 miles on our FZ6R, you could use any one of dozens of oil filters and get acceptable performance.

All a filter does is filter out particles of a certain size or larger, and provide a particular flow rate. That's it. There may in fact be a measurable "best" out there, but in practice, there isn't much between filters. I've heard of a few really bad quality ones, but those are easy to avoid by reading a couple of reviews.

Consider the fact that a Honda Rebel doesn't even have an oil filter.

Superzoom

Hmm.... I might have to eat my words. I'm Googling "oil filter difference" and getting interesting links. Lots of difference between materials and construction.

People seem to have strong opinions, although a lot of the criticism of certain filters seems theoretical.

Seems everyone thinks Fram filters are junk.

I'm going to stick with K&N for ease of use, and the fact that plenty of people on this forum use them and no one seems to have had a failure of any sort.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

jgelack

Oil filters are typically not created for specific applications, but are instead selected for their shape and flow ratings. One filter model is used across many vehicles. In this case, Yamaha went with a Denso 115010-6370, which they've used on many of their vehicles. The only major difference in the Denso and the K&N is the filter media (paper and synthetic) and the relief valve setting (13 PSI and 14.5 PSI respectively).
I guess some of those differences are what I'm concerned about. Will using an aftermarket filter with a lower flow rate and/or higher relief valve setting eventually cause damage to the engine? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. I'm sure there are some aftermarket filters out there that are better than OEM, I'm just not sure which ones. I guess I'll just stick to OEM filter, for now. If nothing more than for piece of mind.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

jgelack

Thanks guys for your responses. Does anyone know if filter manufacturers provide any information about flow rate/bypass pressure for their products that I can compare ?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member