What's YOUR routine..?

Do you exercise?

• Yes, I workout regularly

Votes: 64 50.0%
  • Sort of...occasional execise only

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • Nope, God gave me a perfect physique and health

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Ex-er-cise? That's what they do to baby boys, right?

Votes: 14 10.9%

• Total voters

PhatPhizzixxer

So, we all know that motorcycles are not the lightest pieces of equipment out there. And if you have ever ridden aggressively through twisties or completed a track day, you also know that maneuvering a bike at high speed requires some elbow grease. So what do you do to keep yourself in shape, not only for riding but for general health as well?
Funny you posted this question, 99Vengeur! I was going to post something similar except I was going to post it in the Ladies section. I just assume the guys who ride don't have issues with being in shape since riding requires a certain amount of strength & stamina. I'm a chick & don't have alot of upper body strength so after some 100+ rides, my arms get a bit tired. So, I have started a strength-training routine a few days a week on top of the other workouts I do. I still have problems standing beside / walking the bike around because my arms are so skinny w/o alot of muscle & it just feels like I'm going to just fall over with all the weight of the bike. It's easier for me, then, to straddle it instead & duck-walk with it. I wonder if other chicks have this issue.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Approaching 45... every single morning, I lift 220 lbs without fail. I do this many times per day while at work too. ;)

Standing sucks :rof:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Craxican

check it out...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZFwzABvw4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZFwzABvw4[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Craxican

No...actually this is an old technique...gymnasts, decathletes, swimmers, and stuff do these type of exercises...the more well rounded you are the better...

Go to crossfit.com, they have all sorts of stuff on the subject...and more vids too

Tabitha

I know this is an old thread, but I have to say cross fit rocks! I used to do bjj, thai boxing and crossfit at an MMA gym. Crossfit is the BEST workout I've had in my entire life. I never "lost" weight, but I gained a lot of nicely defined muscle in a short amount of time. The workouts are designed to change daily, so you avoid the plateau's that come with having a routine. I just can't say enough good things about crossfit.

Last edited:
o.k., not at work, I can watch the video now...
Can I say "bad form", yeah, they did a lot... I'll give them that, it's a workout.

But, if I can remember back in the day when I was working out, they're "bouncing" all over the place :spank: I was always taught to take my time, and do it right, less chance of damage. I mean, pull up, count one or two, then down, lifting weight count one or two, then let down.
Sorry, I haven't kept up with what works and what doesn't, but is this the "new" way to work-out??? Or is it just that people are actually working out that works?
There's def greater chance of injury doing it the video way, I work out the 'old fashioned way'

Craxican

There is risk of injury in any workout...the people in the video work their way up to that stuff...many mma fighters from UFC and such have started going over to Crossfit...its all about being fit, not just able run six miles or bench 300lbs...but to able to run six miles, bench 300lbs, and still have enough left in them to do 100 pull-ups. Crazy thing is, most of the Crossfit people are not "big" or bulky, but lean and ferocious. To each their own obviously and what works for me may not work for you; as long as you are working toward any concept of fit I applaud you...i'm just saying that I have yet to meet anyone who tried Crossfit and said "I have a better way" or "This is not helping me"

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So I finally broke down and purchased the P90X program. I just got started this week, and tonight is the 3rd workout. The program is intense so far, and I only expect it to get even more so as the weeks go by. Looking forward to the end results. :D

I also learned that I may look fit, but I am in far worse shape than I originally thought. :eek:

Here's to a new me in 90 days! :thumbup:

Detrich

to maintain a normal, healthy body weight, i think i read somewhere that diet is like 80% and exercise 20%? i forget the exact ratio. but, it's very discouraging when you think about it... hahahaha... :p

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Do we get the before pic now, or do we have to wait the 90 days! :thumbup:
Well, I don't have the before pics on my computer yet. I have to get the wife to unload them from her camera. But if you really want to see my scrawny, pasty white body, I can post the pics. :eek:

Hellgate

So I finally broke down and purchased the P90X program. I just got started this week, and tonight is the 3rd workout. The program is intense so far, and I only expect it to get even more so as the weeks go by. Looking forward to the end results. :D

I also learned that I may look fit, but I am in far worse shape than I originally thought. :eek:

Here's to a new me in 90 days! :thumbup:
Cool, keep us up to date on how it goes. One of the guys in the office bought a bootleg copy and burned it for several of us. They started their 90 days on Monday. One of my guys could barely move yesterday, he was practically crying like a baby!

bmw675

so how effective does everyone think the p90x is. im just about ready to order it. i can guarantee im not going to change my diet habit, so i will be relying fully on the exercise (eat like crazy but im lucky to have a high metabolism). im not overweight, closer to being under weight, but i have no muscle mass to speak of anymore. do you think it will perform as it is advertised to? i dont know anyone personally that has done it.

to maintain a normal, healthy body weight, i think i read somewhere that diet is like 80% and exercise 20%? i forget the exact ratio. but, it's very discouraging when you think about it... hahahaha... :p

Detrich

dunno much about the p90x...

but, if u work out hard like that system forces u to, you'll look fantastic once you get cut. but, without a doubt u will also end up (1) being hungry all the time and (2) spending an inordinant amount of time and money on food... that's just the side-effects of doing extreme training programs like that- ie you're body is hungry all the time because you burn calories like mad... it sounds like a negligible side effect, but it can be very annoying as well...

if you're not in a body building contest or some of competitive sport where you need to look cut and big, then honestly, it's more of just an chest-thumping ego boost "i did it" type thing that's temporary and that will not last.

eventually, you will get weary of working out like crazy all the time, and you will revert back to your old lifestyle and eating/ exercise habbits... and, your body weight eventually "normalizes" again. that's just the way life is- unless you want to spend all your time working out... lol

that's why eating healthy, having a regular/ good exercise routine, and living healthy is probably the best way to look good and stay in shape. building muscle gradually over time working out with your own body weight or weights will tone you right up- so long as you watch what you eat. and, you dont' have to go through a boot camp like experience to get fit.

just my 0.02 i guess... :)

p.s. seriously though- i actually don't really eat panda express much. (very unhealthy) i just like their tv commercials with the talking pandas. :)

Last edited:

bmw675

i understand what your saying. when i was in high school 6 years ago, i ran track and we lifted weights everyday. i was in really good shape. i graduated in 04 and havent done a second worth of exercise. however, i do work outside and constantly moving so that is my bonus, i was just wanting to get back into the shape where i dont look scronny.
this might be the ticket.

If you are trying to gain weight you have to take in alot of calories and protein! I try to take in 3000 calories and at least 50 more grams of protein more than my body weight! Don't forget your vitamins too! I run during the week and lift at nights! Taking the weekend off to rest my legs! I would say one of the most important aspects to lifting is rest! If you are so sore that it hurts to move, you should probably rest for the day! But it all depends on your goals! They have a supplement for everything! Just watch out for some of that crap, it can screw you up if you don't know what you are doing! I just stick to protein, vitamins and NO!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
i understand what your saying. when i was in high school 6 years ago, i ran track and we lifted weights everyday. i was in really good shape. i graduated in 04 and havent done a second worth of exercise. however, i do work outside and constantly moving so that is my bonus, i was just wanting to get back into the shape where i dont look scronny.
this might be the ticket.
This is exactly why I am doing it! I competed in track and field for ten years, then I graduated college and started graduate school. I basically stopped running and exercising because I didn't have the time anymore. I'm not anorexic looking, but I am pretty close to being under weight for my body type.

There were two guys that used the P90X system to go from pretty scrawny to adding quite a bit of muscle. The link below is about the two guys and their transformation. They have a bunch of pics for proof that the system works.

Team Beachbody - RE:Team Brawny - The Skinny Guys....ARE NO LONGER SKINNY! - Connect: Message Boards

For further proof...I started the program on Tuesday, so today (Saturday) is day five. I am not sticking to the strict diet either because I want to add mass as well. I take multivitamins and supplement with protein shakes every day. In just these first four days, I have started to see better definition in my abs, arms and shoulders. My arms have gained a 1/4 inch in size already! It truly is an awesome system. Do it and you won't regret it. :steve:

Last edited: