What is your bike sound like at startup?

djayd

My bike's almost always made this sound, But whenever I started up it sounds like there's something rattling around like a clanking sound for about 1 or 2 seconds and then it starts running/sounding normal. Anyone have any ideas?

KevinMills

I used to have this too. I put it down to the cold. It usually went away when it warmed up. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing though.

If I recall correctly there is something about this in the manual. It suggests It might be the petrol. It then suggests the solution is to use a higher octane fuel. I use 98

Just_Jim

Timing chain has stretched.
More than likely the cam chain tensioner is the problem and probably needs a cleaning. The plunger is stuck or the plunger spring is failing.

If the chain was stretched the rattling wouldn't go away after the oil pressure came up.

Half-Click Up

More than likely the cam chain tensioner is the problem and probably needs a cleaning. The plunger is stuck or the plunger spring is failing.

If the chain was stretched the rattling wouldn't go away after the oil pressure came up.
I had the exact opposite experience. I'm currently still on the original tensioner at 64k, but the last time I pulled the cams, I replaced the chain and got rid of that startup clatter.

djayd

I used to have this too. I put it down to the cold. It usually went away when it warmed up. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing though.

If I recall correctly there is something about this in the manual. It suggests It might be the petrol. It then suggests the solution is to use a higher octane fuel. I use 98
I also use the max octane fuel I can get from chevron. IIRC my service check guy said it was the cam chain tensioner was the issue and they did get it to quiet down for like a week but then it came back.

djayd

I had the exact opposite experience. I'm currently still on the original tensioner at 64k, but the last time I pulled the cams, I replaced the chain and got rid of that startup clatter.
That's super interesting!! you sparked a memory of my service check person saying that it was the cam chain tensioner... IIRC they did something to fix it last time but then the sound came back like a week later. and that was like 30 thousand miles ago. I'll look it up in the manual. Definitely sounds like more than I want to get into, unfortunately. If it's just the tensioner I could maybe mess with it but If I have to get to the cams....

Half-Click Up

That's super interesting!! you sparked a memory of my service check person saying that it was the cam chain tensioner... IIRC they did something to fix it last time but then the sound came back like a week later. and that was like 30 thousand miles ago. I'll look it up in the manual. Definitely sounds like more than I want to get into, unfortunately. If it's just the tensioner I could maybe mess with it but If I have to get to the cams....
It's not for the faint of heart, but very doable if you follow the factory service manual. The hardest part is overcoming the valve overlap inherent with the exhaust cam whilst setting the timing.

Best case scenario, and as stated by Just_Jim, it could just be your tensioner. That's a cheap part to swap out; just don't be surprised if the startup clatter remains. You may get lucky, but I didn't!

djayd

It's not for the faint of heart, but very doable if you follow the factory service manual. The hardest part is overcoming the valve overlap inherent with the exhaust cam whilst setting the timing.

Best case scenario, and as stated by Just_Jim, it could just be your tensioner. That's a cheap part to swap out; just don't be surprised if the startup clatter remains. You may get lucky, but I didn't!
Honestly, I really want to do a service on my own and tear into the engine, get everything shiny and tight again but the engine is such a pain in the butt to access! Thanks for the positivity!

Half-Click Up

Honestly, I really want to do a service on my own and tear into the engine, get everything shiny and tight again but the engine is such a pain in the butt to access! Thanks for the positivity!
I have a 4-part tutorial series on YouTube covering every bit of it, step-by-step using the factory service manual.
You can see how I overcame the tight quarters. And no, I didn't remove the engine ;)