What is your bike sound like at startup?

djayd

My bike's almost always made this sound, But whenever I started up it sounds like there's something rattling around like a clanking sound for about 1 or 2 seconds and then it starts running/sounding normal. Anyone have any ideas?

KevinMills

I used to have this too. I put it down to the cold. It usually went away when it warmed up. Not sure if we are talking about the same thing though.

If I recall correctly there is something about this in the manual. It suggests It might be the petrol. It then suggests the solution is to use a higher octane fuel. I use 98

Just_Jim

Timing chain has stretched.
More than likely the cam chain tensioner is the problem and probably needs a cleaning. The plunger is stuck or the plunger spring is failing.

If the chain was stretched the rattling wouldn't go away after the oil pressure came up.

More than likely the cam chain tensioner is the problem and probably needs a cleaning. The plunger is stuck or the plunger spring is failing.

If the chain was stretched the rattling wouldn't go away after the oil pressure came up.
I had the exact opposite experience. I'm currently still on the original tensioner at 64k, but the last time I pulled the cams, I replaced the chain and got rid of that startup clatter.