We are the last

stache

It will be curious to see how this all plays out over time. Is it a fad? Will there be a brief blip on the timeline of naked vs faired bikes in America?

Are we seeing more interest in naked bikes in America because the riding community is finally buying function over form?

If the answer is 'yes' then this bodes well for us getting better selection in the future, both naked and faired.
Honda CB650F (look at those header pipes! LOOK AT THEM!)
KTM RC390 (*drooool*)

If it's just a fad, we'll see a few years of great bikes coming to our market and then a return to lots of the same ol' stuff.

zcypher

They should offer faired and naked. The 6R is a sweet bike! The FZ-07 looks pretty cool too but seeing the 6R go makes me sad. I've contemplated the 8 or 9 as my next upgrade but they don't do it for me as much-- though that could change entirely after actually trying them.

But a twin in the 07? I dunno.. I LOVE the I4 in my 6R. :-D

Fizzer6R

stopped by dealer today and they have no word (yet) of this being last year for the FZ6R, guess we'll know in a few months.

they also haven't heard anything on the rumored FJ09, fingers crossed!

latony007

How hard would it be to design a bike that you can either sell faired or non faired or even better one that you could take the fairings off with a couple snaps like the old t-tops so you could have both. I personally think all these bikes are great bikes, fz09, street triple etc. i just like the faired for wind and looks, some like the look of naked, so i say give us both in all the bikes!:confused:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Dave

Love the engine in the fz09 and street triple but I need a windscreen of some sort. The bike can still be mostly naked however give me some wind protection please.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

weaponzero

I can't speak for the world, only for Americans, but...

All of the reviews I've read say that the FZ07 is an overall better machine in virtually every way barring one: Engine vibrations (No twin will ever be as silky smooth as an inline four). That being said, 75% of American buyers don't care. They want something that has the LOOK of a fully-faired, race-bred supersport. And given the choice, they would rather have something that LOOKS more like one than a naked bike that PERFORMS more like one. There are a lot of people here who wouldn't even look twice at the FZ07 purely on the basis of being a naked bike but would happily buy an FZ6R. This is a very poor decision on Yamaha's part, one that could only be rectified by somehow producing a fully faired version of the FZ07. And even then it wouldn't necessarily be able to replace the FZ6R. The FZ07 will never be as good at long distance riding.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

I can't speak for the world, only for Americans, but...

All of the reviews I've read say that the FZ07 is an overall better machine in virtually every way barring one: Engine vibrations (No twin will ever be as silky smooth as an inline four). That being said, 75% of American buyers don't care. They want something that has the LOOK of a fully-faired, race-bred supersport. And given the choice, they would rather have something that LOOKS more like one than a naked bike that PERFORMS more like one. There are a lot of people here who wouldn't even look twice at the FZ07 purely on the basis of being a naked bike but would happily buy an FZ6R. This is a very poor decision on Yamaha's part, one that could only be rectified by somehow producing a fully faired version of the FZ07. And even then it wouldn't necessarily be able to replace the FZ6R. The FZ07 will never be as good at long distance riding.
Well i agree that they seem to be only concerned with naked bikes at the moment, if the FZ1 is gone and the FZ6R is gone that is going to leave only naked bikes and supersports. I dont think thats a good business decision but thats just me.
Yamaha now has a 2015 FZ6R listed on their site. So it's not going away yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Are you sure about that? someone would have one by now, i heard the same thing about the FZ1 but no one has those either?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

It's on their site. Don't know why else they'd have it on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
i don't remember them being on there before but i could have missed it. i see they are on there now. However it would not be the first time a website was wrong, No one seems to have any i have seen, none on cycletrader and i checked a few dealer inventories and nada, maybe they are just going to be very late. However if your in NY i did see a dealer selling an FZ1 New for 5999 im sure plus some freight assembly or whatever they wont budge on because of the low price but still seems like a steal.

FJRGuy

While the FZ6R isn't going away (yet) Yamaha is making great additions to the line-up with the FZ-09 and FZ-07. I first saw and sat on an FZ-09 in June 2003 and loved the look and feel of the bike. (Unfortunately it was a pre-production bike and we could not take it out for a ride for insurance reasons. :( ) They are appealing to the true motorcyclists who are more concerned about riding than looking 'cool' like the SS wannabees. While 'entry-level' is subjective, I wouldn't call either of these bikes as entry level, that's what the 250s and 300s are for. They, like the FZ6R, can make a good first bike for someone wanting to skip the entry level step, but I personally would, and do, stick to true entry level bikes for someone just starting to ride. (Just bought a Suzuki GW250 to teach a ladyfriend to ride. Mighta bought a Yamaha if they offered a similar bike :( )

BTW, Absolutely Funniest analogy I've read in some time:
"...Harley as the Cadillac. Honda and Yamaha cruisers ... as ... Hyundai."
I didn't know Cadillac's were way overpriced noise makers that left oil stains everywhere they go. :p
And if you're gonna make a car analogy, I think Toyota might be a better choice for the Japanese bikes. ;)

xinu

...Just bought a Suzuki GW250 to teach a ladyfriend to ride. Mighta bought a Yamaha if they offered a similar bike :( )
That's the first time I've heard of GW250. Must a new model. About $500 below it's competition. Looks like a nice choice. When is delivery are they available now in the show room?

Recvery

I'll never buy one. They always seems to get rid of bikes that have big following (FZ6, FZ6R, R6S, etc.). It wouldn't be so bad if they offered like Suzuki did with the SV650 offering a naked and faired version. I doubt they pick up new riders with the FZ07. Same power as 6R with less weight is probably too much power for a first time learner. My next bike will probably be the GSXR750, but not for a little while yet.
My brother switched to a gsxr750 after the fz. He loves the power and handling but says the fz was way more comfortable. Not a bad next bike, but youll miss the fz when you hit stop n go