Valve clearance adjustment

hmendo

Does the FZ6R needs valve clearance adjustment? If yes, how offen and difficult is to adjust?

My Shadow Aero needs adjustment (inspection) every 8k. What a pain! :mad:

JSP

Super Moderator
Yes they do need adjusted, but not until you reach 26,600 miles. Looking at the process, its a little bit in depth, but if you are used to doing them before it shouldnt be too bad... looks like its a tight space to get into though.

My old Honda Rebel needed to be adjusted every 4k. It was easy though, just 4 valves...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Everything I have done, and read and talked to said valves must be checked and adjusted on a stone cold engine.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

See red

I agree with Marthy! Lmao! It is not that it is HARD per say, It IS however such a pain in the arse it is just worth spending the money to have someone who does it deal with it.

I did this on 2 aprilias, those were only v twins! Much more access, and those were a pain.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Yep, just called Friday, I have to swing by and pre-order a new gasket and some other non-replaceable parts to make sure they have it... then drop off the bike the night before so they can let it cool. They'll have it done the next day.

Cost: $225

I'm a little late too... hit somewhere around 27400 yesterday.

Just make sure they ACTUALLY do the valve adjustment! When I first bought my first bike and it was time for the adjustment (before I stated doing them myself) I put clear nail polish on the valve cover in a hidden spot and some sharpie marks on some bolts they would have had to remove to get to the valve cover.

The nail polish was not broken what-so-ever and the hidden sharpie marks were perfectly in line with each other on all the bolts I marked. Still ticked super bad just like it did when I brought it in. Confronted them and made them do it again. This time the stuff was indeed broken and then the bike sounded smooth as day 1. Its an easy way for them to make money and not really do the work!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
yeah, I thought about that... from what I've read up on the "check", it's nothing catastrophic that can happen... just can run funny... if somethings out... I might still put some indicator on the bolts or soewhere just to make sure they've done something....

I personally trust this shop in Leesburg though... this was the same guy who gave me the advice on the spark plugs, saying 8k is overkill, but it's more to keep the plugs from seizing in the engine, more than the plugs going bad.
Yeah... Biggest things with valves is they can get loose of course and cause loud ticking and loss of power. They can also cause themselves to tighten up and that can cause you to run hot and burn valves.

As long as they truly measure them and are in spec you will be good.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

Just make sure they ACTUALLY do the valve adjustment! When I first bought my first bike and it was time for the adjustment (before I stated doing them myself) I put clear nail polish on the valve cover in a hidden spot and some sharpie marks on some bolts they would have had to remove to get to the valve cover.

The nail polish was not broken what-so-ever and the hidden sharpie marks were perfectly in line with each other on all the bolts I marked. Still ticked super bad just like it did when I brought it in. Confronted them and made them do it again. This time the stuff was indeed broken and then the bike sounded smooth as day 1. Its an easy way for them to make money and not really do the work!
This is exactly why I work on my own bikes and vehicles. The only way I know it gets done right is if I do it myself. Even if it takes a couple tries to get it done right.

I don't like to work on my vehicles and I don't like getting dirty, but at least it gets done and it gets done right. ;-)