There are those who haven't gone down yet.... and then there's MistahT

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Last edited:
S

SkyOrDie

I think your only mistake was saying, "I'm the only rider I know personally who has not gone down.... " Thinking it is ok, but if you say it out loud it pisses Karma off and she opens a can of smite on your ass!

rhnatyk

Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens. I was out for a solo ride in the North Georgia mountains a few of weeks ago and lost the front end in a slow left hander. As you say, it happens so fast you're not really sure what happened. At any rate, I low-sided the bike at about 25-30 mph and slid down the road about 20 feet. I landed pretty hard on my left hip and had the bruises and swelling to prove it. Very minor road rash, even though I was only wearing jeans. As with you, my ego was more severely injured than my body (thankfully). My bike was damaged more than yours. Both left side footpegs broke off. The left turn signal detached itself and the left frame slider was ground down. Also the engine case and fairing was pretty scratched up. Finally, my Speed and Strength mesh jacket was toast (guess it did its job).

So I spent the last few weeks recuperating and ordering replacement parts on eBay. I got everything installed and sanded and repainted the scratched bits and was back in the saddle for a ride with two other forum members two weeks later.

I just chalked it up to "sh%t happens" and was glad my (and the bike's) protective gear did its job. I did, however, buy some kevlar cargo pants along with my new jacket. Not sure they would have made that much difference, but after going down for the first time, a little extra insurance might be good.

Welcome to the club and glad to hear that you and the bike weren't badly hurt.

-Richard

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BKP

Sorry to hear about the off... glad to hear it was relatively benign.

And, I do believe you're right -- if you ride long enough, it's a matter of when, not if...

I laid my bike down... literally, laid it down, like a baby (I wasn't moving -- soccer mom opened her door into me in a slightly cambered parking lot, and I did a slow motion drop to the right).
Does that count as having satisfied the get-off Gods?

Andy

It happens

Almost dumped mine Sunday. Went for a ride with 3 other Honda cbr 1000rr. Rode mild most of the day. Going home alone passed a mini van and pickup on a straight right before a 90 deg righthander onto a kick ass curvy highway. Slipped over infront of pick up and braked to woo her down. Dived into r/h turn and front end gave a nasty slide /wiggle while leaned over pretty good. Had to be some gravel or something. Braked on straight only. Anyway I dont have frame sliders so mine would have not turnend out as slight as yours. Glad you are ok and bike has such minor damage.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Damn, glad you are ok and it wasnt worse.

dsanchez222

Glad to hear that everything is fine, for you and the bike. Luckily there weren't any vehicle or anything so the damage was kept to a minimum. Every motorcycle safety brief I got while in the Marines was started with the saying, It's not a matter of if you go down, but when. So far I haven't gone done, but I hold no illusion that sooner or later, I too will bite it.

Your story also helps me as a younger rider to further remind me of why I also ATGATT.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

Glad to hear all is well from the off.

This should be a reminder to EVERYONE who happens across this thread. Don't lean your bike over on cold tires on a cold morning. Don't get complacent because you ride so frequently as that seems to be the opportune time for such shitty happenings. Maybe if we all take a minute to think how we ride when first throwing a leg over a cold machine, we could avoid this ourselves.

Sorry about the mishap MistahT, but thank you for sharing and giving us reason to contemplate our daily riding habits.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

travisH3

Wow, very little damage. Im riding in the cold also so i should prolly be more easy until the tires warm up good. glad your alright.

Marthy, is the exhaust under warranty. HAHAHAHA

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

After I got in my fender bender this summer with a guy that made a U-turn in front of me, exactly 1 week after the incident, I was riding into work and made my usual turn around at work and one of the damn asphalt snakes jumped out and bit my bike and I couldn't catch my footing and my bike was laid down on the opposite side of the already damaged side. Didn't do much, it broke my clutch lever and bruised up my crankcase cover. I don't have frame sliders and luckily my lever and mirror were the ones to take the majority of the damage. Mine was quite embarrasing because a lot of my coworkers were outside.

DragonBlu

For god sake woman,get some frame sliders on that beast. What part of Oregon are you in?