The hambone-head FZ6R Mod thread

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

darksidefz6r

Well I have got a few more things done on my list, not as many as had hoped by now but some things came up. Anyways I have cut down my stock wind screen and painted it black, looks better but going to have to spring for the double bubble like originally planned. I did however get some PSR block off plates and did build an exhaust using a 2003 r6 can. I like it but still not completely done but I like the way it sounds and is quite a bit louder than stock. Going to wrap the header and piping with some titanium exhaust wrap. The can I used is a cut down factory r6 can. Also did the air box mod while I had it apart. Will get some better pictures and video when it warms up and get everything finished up. I do have a few pics to share though.

Pulling everything apart:

AIS is gone:

Exhaust off and ready to be modded:

Block off plates:

darksidefz6r

Ordered the exhaust wrap. Went with the titanium wrap as I thought it would look good on the white bike and also the fact it doesn't need to be soaked before wrapping. Should have it by end of the week I hope so try to get it done this coming weekend.

darksidefz6r

A little update for anyone who may care. I've been busy with work but did get the exhaust wrap in but still need to actually wrap the exhaust. Ordered my K&N filter and PCV on 12/22/12 and finally got the filter this past Weds. and the PCV will be here tomorrow. Hopefully loading the bike up and taking it to a buddies shop that has heat to finish up everything soon. Try to get more pics for everyone when I make a little more progress.

darksidefz6r

Well got the exhaust wrapped, PCV(with map switch) and K&N filter installed yesterday. Everything went smoothly and loaded Marthy's Sport RevB. Have not set up the map switch and loaded a second map yet but will be using his Touring RevC along with the Sport RevB when I do.

Exhaust wrapped and ready for final install

Difference between stock and K&N filter

PCV

PCV all plugged in(still needs speed and map switch wired and mounted)

Map Switch

Loading the tune

Looking like a bike again

little vid(sorry for the music)

darksidefz6r

Alright, I do have one question. When setting up the map switch for the PCV can you chose which map is for each position of the switch or no? I have not really messed with it yet but was just wondering.

darksidefz6r

Ok well got the map switch all set up and loaded another map. It does show switch position and you can choose which map you run in each position. I took it out for a ride and had to snap a couple pictures of how it looks in its current state.

pic in my avatar

Also, I ordered a pair of adjustable shorty levers in black with titanium adjusters. Will update when I get and install them. Thanks everyone for checking out my bike and again any comments/suggestions are welcome.

cezell09

So how do you like the exhaust? How does it sound compared to stock? I watched the video but it's hard to hear with the music in the background and the acoustics of the garage...

darksidefz6r

I like the exhaust a lot. I can try to get a better sound clip outside of the building if we get another decent day but right now it is raining and supposed to turn to snow. It has a nice deep tone at idle and sounds kind of GP style in the upper revs. It is loud though. I can't compare it to the two Bros as I have never been able to hear one in person.

Last edited:

darksidefz6r

Well the stock bars have been bothering me, I like a straighter bar so I decided to give the FZ1 bar a try. Got a new set from local dealer and some Spider Peak grips. Everyone I've heard from say these grips are awesome but I will report back after the weather warms up and I can get a few miles with them and the new bars after installed. Also just purchased a lowering link from trackfiend so the bike will be getting that as also when I receive it.

Last edited:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

darksidefz6r

man on a mission to deck out his bike. I love it. keep up the good work
Just trying to make it the way I like it. Don't get me wrong this is a good bike but everything can be improved on. After this I will hopefully be ordering the front fork springs and oil to be getting rid of stiffen up the front end as the front end dive even under light braking drives me nuts. Then would like to at least do LED rear turn signals if I don't end up doing the integrated rear tail light. Trying to decide if I want to regear or not as well. Also hopefully getting it dyno tuned when the weather warms up.

darksidefz6r

Well, when we get together this season you will get the chance to have the comparison. ;)
Heck yeah! Looking forward to meeting a few fellow 6r owners and bikes.

darksidefz6r

I just placed an order from solomotoparts for the front fork springs and oil. I searched on the forum for info on them. I went to racetech's website and used their spring rate calculator which is based off of the riders weight and bike weight. I will provide links at the bottom of this post. I am over 200 lbs and according to racetech their 1.0kg spring was recommended. I opted to go for the 15w fork oil as well. From what I have found the stock fork oil is arguable between 0w-5w.

Racetech's page with spring rate calculator for fz6r:
RT - Digital Product Search

solomoto racetech fork springs(fz6r):
Race Tech Fork Springs for FZ6R 10-12 - Suspension - Street Parts - SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Accessories and Gear

darksidefz6r

I forgot to mention that since with solomoto you get free shipping on orders over $99 I got a liter of Maxima fork oil, which you can get from 5w-20w for the same price as just the springs plus shipping since they are only $98 on their own. Thought that was good as it was still less than the price from RaceTech themselves before shipping.

darksidefz6r

Well I have been kind of slacking on updates. Since the weather finally warmed up I was able to get a short video of the exhaust that was requested a while back. Also go the FZ1 bars and Peak grips on, the difference is awesome and like the feel a lot better. I've have the risers flipped even withe factory bars and left them that way with the FZ1's. Also installed the lowering link and lowered the front to match. Still need to install the racetech springs, change oil, and change plugs.

trackfiend

Hey I just saw your thread! The bike is looking good and sounds good too. Do you happen to have any pics of how you did the header before installing the R6 can? I'm thinking about doing the same thing with mine.