The DSLR Picture Thread!

Sage

Me and a friend went and had little photo shoot the other night. They turned out pretty well, I'm sorta proud of myself lol.

Amber's Shoot

JonKerr

Elite Member

BoneJj

I should correct myself that the aquarium pics were all shot with the kit lens. For the most part, the ISO was at 6400. I actually left it on auto ISO and I used aperture priority. I played with the exposure setting from there a few times to get what I wanted without going full manual. I like using manual if I have time to setup shots and try things (I'm still learning, it's been a long time since my last photo class and that was with film and a full manual camera, no battery needed lol) but for things like this when we're being tourists, I don't really have the time to set stuff up. Especially with my wife. I could sit for hours starring at tanks. But she gets a little restless if I spend too much time in one spot. lol

The San Francisco and Alctraz were all shot on my Tamron 18-200 Lens. I have the cheaper version without IS. I really want to get some good glass for this camera. But I just have so many other things I need to spend money on.
gotcha, good glass is a such a pain in the butt. I still don't own a white lens... Well I did but then I sold it because I needed the money for other things. The good thing about good glass is that you don't really loose any money on those lenses as long as you take care of them and buy used. I loved the couple L glass lenses I've had. The 17-40 that I had for a while was a blast...The 70-200 was all the better, I had the 2.8. Man do I miss those lenses. But I was buying and selling lenses for a while to generate funds. I would buy cheap and then sell for a better price. I must have done that for a good year. Though a couple sales I came close to only braking even but that was before the bottom dropped out the economy and people were buying often.

I actually wouldn't mind selling my 70-300 4-5.6 usm lens. It's been good to me but I don't use it nearly as often as I should.

I've also been considering selling my P.Buff strobes as well along with my other studio gear as with school I haven't done a photoshoot in a couple years now. But I may start back up just to make some extra cash again.

BoneJj

Me and a friend went and had little photo shoot the other night. They turned out pretty well, I'm sorta proud of myself lol.

Amber's Shoot

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/942636_552736014764490_59873392_n.jpg

[url]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970805_552736951431063_155363118_n.jpg[/url]
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945033_552736868097738_554577668_n.jpg
[/quote]

She's a bit of a cutie. I'm not a fan of the hair in the face shots but overall pretty good job. I'd just like to see more spot metering and more use of manual mode but that comes as time with the camera progresses, good work none the less.

Sage

She's a bit of a cutie. I'm not a fan of the hair in the face shots but overall pretty good job. I'd just like to see more spot metering and more use of manual mode but that comes as time with the camera progresses, good work none the less.
Normally I would have, but since we were crunched for time (sun was setting quite quickly) and I had what I wanted in my head, I stuck it in Aperature Priority and went with it. All of them were edited in Lightroom/Photoshop after the fact also, sometimes I think I may go a bit overboard :eek:
I've also never played with the metering modes, which is odd since I have fiddled with every other setting lol, thanks for the tip ;)

Thanks for the critique!! It's always helpful from people who know what they are talking about :)

edit: Why didn't I know about the metering modes!!! Just tested it in the house on my cat and what a difference.....

Last edited:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Sage

A friend and I had a little fun while the rest of our group was at a concert
Janell

JonKerr

Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Hey guys, Im looking for some feedback here. Im very new to the idea of DoF, and just got a nifty fifty lens, plus external speedlight. Looking for some advice, tips etc. These are within the first 30 pictures taken with nifty fifty, and speedlight. Me and the girlfriend are gunna go to the zoo and have some fun plus take pictures. So I would like to have an idea of what im doing wrong already. Thanks, DD.

bigddy263

Looks like you might be using too shallow depth of field. Try coming off your max aperture a couple of stops. Lenses never work their best when they are maxed out. Either that, or your focus could be off by a hair.

Sage

His focus is off slightly, i've maxed out my 50mm and had perfect sharpness. My guess for the focus though, is you're slightly off, like the pure badger pic focused on you in the reflection instead of the lettering, unless that was your intention, then the cat is barely off, but that could have been movement or a speedlight setting

Deathdiesel

Looks like you might be using too shallow depth of field. Try coming off your max aperture a couple of stops. Lenses never work their best when they are maxed out. Either that, or your focus could be off by a hair.
Maybe a little of both? It was maxed at 1.8f, so it didnt take but a breath to set it off.

His focus is off slightly, i've maxed out my 50mm and had perfect sharpness. My guess for the focus though, is you're slightly off, like the pure badger pic focused on you in the reflection instead of the lettering, unless that was your intention, then the cat is barely off, but that could have been movement or a speedlight setting
Yeah the pure badger thing was like my first picture with it, and didnt expect to see my own reflection of it. The cat picture was annoying, cat kept moving, plus moving spots so lighting had to be changed. Think ill try to go with one thing at a time, new lens, then new speedlight, or vice versa. Not both at same time. When you mean focus is off, as in its not dialed in correctly? Or the spot im focusing on is not best?

thanks for the tips guys. :D

Deathdiesel

Okay so I got lucky/unlucky today. There was a car show in town, had tons of older cars to shoot. However, I just remembered it at 3:30, and the show ended at 4:00 (didnt know this). So went out and of course soon as I got there they were closing shop, so I got a handful of pictures in the very VERY narrow time frame I had. So heres what I got, all were taken RAW, saved to jpg with CS6 for photobucket.
http://s607.photobucket.com/user/Deathdeisel/media/IMG_0022.jpg.html
All shots were taken within 15min, including walking time. :D
Edit: WHOA pictures came out to big, linked to my photo accnt for quick fix.

Last edited:

dcBear78

Went on a day trip with some work mates four wheel driving up to Kroombit Tops National Park. One of the highlights of this park is it is the final resting place for Beautiful Betsy, a B24 Liberator from WW2 that went missing in 1945 and lay undiscovered until 1994.

From Wikipedia...
Beautiful Betsy was the name of an American Consolidated B-24D-53-CO Liberator that went missing 26 February 1945.
The Beautiful Betsy had suffered combat fatigue and was only being used for short supply runs. It had been retired from combat. Its final mission was a Fat Cat run from Darwin to Brisbane - transporting men and supplies as part of a regular flight. It disappeared in stormy weather. The B-24D Liberator was in service with the Royal Australian Air Force from February 1944 until 1947. The wreckage of the aircraft was discovered in what is now Kroombit Tops National Park, located in The Boyne Valley in central Queensland, Australia on 2 August 1994.
Those killed in the crash were:
1st Lieutenant William Emmett McDaniel - pilot
2nd Lieutenant Eugene A. Kilcheski,
2nd Lieutenant Hilary E. Routt
Lieutenant Raymond L. Owen
Technical Sergeant Raymond L. Tucker
Technical Sergeant Harold J. Lemons.
Flight Lieutenant Thomas John Donald Cook - British fighter pilot
Flying Officer Roy Albert Arthur Cannon - British fighter pilot
Posting these photos not necessarily for their photographic merit. Mostly to share some history.

Kroombit Tops Lookout by dcBear78, on Flickr

Muz, Waz and Bill by dcBear78, on Flickr

Beautiful Betsy by dcBear78, on Flickr

How It Crashed by dcBear78, on Flickr

Those On Board by dcBear78, on Flickr

Engine by dcBear78, on Flickr

Tail Section by dcBear78, on Flickr

Propeller by dcBear78, on Flickr

Let The Boys Catch Up by dcBear78, on Flickr

Slow Pokes by dcBear78, on Flickr

Queenslander Farm House by dcBear78, on Flickr

Abandoned Buildings by dcBear78, on Flickr

Full set of pictures can be found here for anyone interested.

When the wreck was discovered, the US army came and sifted the entire area for human remains and returned them to their families. The bomber hit the cliff face just on day break. No warning was received, no shutes were deployed. All died on impact. The aircraft hit the cliff and flipped onto it's back, spreading wreckage across a couple hundred square metres.

VRIIClubby

i miss my 4wd when I see pics like this :(

Nik2133

Shot 3 weeks ago in Greer, Arizona

Shot this in Greer, Arizona - this place is about 4 hours from Phoenix

AM6_3658.jpg

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Went on a day trip with some work mates four wheel driving up to Kroombit Tops National Park.

I like your Cruiser, she is purdy!
Should the day come that we get a second car, I could definately do with something like that:D

dcBear78

I like your Cruiser, she is purdy!
Should the day come that we get a second car, I could definately do with something like that:D
Not mine that one... My VE Calais on 22" rims doesn't like this kind of road.

But that thing was amazing. V8 diesel with a bit of work done to it. It left us for dead every time, hence no action photos of it. I don't even think they engaged the front dif?