The DSLR Picture Thread!

I bought a Pentax K-30 at Christmas time. No experience with photography at all, but something I have always wanted to learn. Suffered a bit of lens buyers addiction. Along with the DAL18-55mm that is pretty average that came with the lens I have purchased a DA18-135mm WR for bit more versatile reach and weather resistance (to match camera's WR), Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide, DA35mm prime and a Soviet era Helio 44M-6 for $50 from eBay.

Mostly photograph my daughter, landscapes and will get some automotive ones when I get the chance. Trying to expand my artistic side so I am not just taking happy/tourist snaps.

Sorry if too many shots in the one post...

My first ever decent picture I took (obviously took a heap but the best of them)

Cheeky Ella by dcBear78, on Flickr

More of my daughter. Fortunately she is a bit of a poser...

20130116-IMGP0464.jpg by dcBear78, on Flickr

Some of my car

Calais by dcBear78, on Flickr

Calais by dcBear78, on Flickr

Some pics of around my town...

Gladstone Power Station by dcBear78, on Flickr

Gladstone Marina Park by dcBear78, on Flickr

Whatchu looking at? by dcBear78, on Flickr

One of my favourite shots so far. Love the drama in the sky with rain on the horizon and the pastel colours. Got this printed on a 24"x12" canvas print and it looks like a painting.

Canoe Point by dcBear78, on Flickr

Emu Park Beach by dcBear78, on Flickr

Emu Park Beach 2 by dcBear78, on Flickr

Contemplation by dcBear78, on Flickr

Here is that cheap 20yo Soviet lens in action. Has intense depth of field and a famous bokeh. These are bottles my house-mate seems to refuse to through out.

Dave's Collection by dcBear78, on Flickr

Same lens, different subject. Took this one yesterday. Love this one....

Homework by dcBear78, on Flickr

Nice shots, Was that a Vauxhall? LOL! haven't seen one since I left Scotland. Not sure why they never made cars for the US. Nice cars. Sorry a little off your topic.

Vauxhaul is a rebadged Holden Commodore (manufactured in Australia). Was a Pontiac G8 in the States. Mines a Calais which is a sports/luxury model rather than the straight out sports version exported as Vauxhaul/Pontiacs. You will soon the new model over in the states as GM is starting to import them again. Will be a Chevy SS. And annoyingly it will be sold for $10k less than it is here domestically.

chevy-20ss_600-620x414.jpg

Drive - VF Commodore to be $10000 Cheaper in US

That's a neat car from Chevrolet

....annoyingly it will be sold for $10k less than it is here domestically.

You have to take into account that average wage in the States is half that of Australia's.

Manufactures are notorious for adjusting their retail prices in different countries relative to the price bracket they wish their product and brand name to sit within. Also it is well known that a car rolling off the assembly line cost up a 1/4 more than retail to manufacture, the profit comes from aftermarket and spare parts throughout the life cycle of the vehicle. Sorry rant over

Last edited:
I spent last weekend getting a little crazy with some DJ mates of mine from around the country. We converged for a 4 day weekend at the Gold Coast. Got a bit creative with some pics.

Mixing all the things by dcBear78, on Flickr

The deep house begins by dcBear78, on Flickr

900's, 2000's and mixer by dcBear78, on Flickr

The Kraken by dcBear78, on Flickr

The Vodka by dcBear78, on Flickr

BeatLeSS Ghost by dcBear78, on Flickr

Mitch by dcBear78, on Flickr

Decks n Mixer by dcBear78, on Flickr

Panorama by dcBear78, on Flickr

Nicely done on the dj. Too bad the background isn't better though. Would be a truly awesome set with just a simple plain bacground.

Nicely done on the dj. Too bad the background isn't better though. Would be a truly awesome set with just a simple plain bacground.

Only so much you can do with a DJ set up on a kitchen bench in an apartment. Here is one taken the same weekend but at a rehearsal studio space.

Mitch by dcBear78, on Flickr

Only so much you can do with a DJ set up on a kitchen bench in an apartment. Here is one taken the same weekend but at a rehearsal studio space.
Flickr

So damn true dude, I've had djs wanting me to take photos of them in there garages and when they send me pictures of their garage it's nothing but a cluster F, I've prety much stopped taking photos right now though with all the school stuff I have going on.

Last edited:
I like the first shot from your seat with the crowd and the whole track. Where an ultra wide angle comes in handy. Or even stitching together a few shots for a panorama.

Just go my wife a canon t4i with a lense kit with about 5 different lenses and stuff. We still learning how to use and we are very newbies on this photo thing. (me more than her) I want to learn to make shots were the background is all blurry and the object is nice and focused. Like this

picture.php

Any tips?

Just go my wife a canon t4i with a lense kit with about 5 different lenses and stuff. We still learning how to use and we are very newbies on this photo thing. (me more than her) I want to learn to make shots were the background is all blurry and the object is nice and focused. Like this

picture.php

Any tips?

for this aspect you will want to learn a few terms:

Fast lens
f/ = f stop
aperture

The key though is the post processing to really make the colors pop also you can't go wrong with a good circular polarized filter. Just don't get a cheap one, they wont perform nearly as well as they should or could. You really get what you pay for when it comes to filters.

For now, just put your camera in one of these 3 modes. Manual (full), aperture priority and Shutter priority.

Now walk around and just aim the camera at stuff with the different lenses and use your controls to make the adjustments to the main settings (aperture and shutter speed) swap the lens for something else and see how it affected that same area.

You don't even have to actually click the shutter. Just half press the shutter button and it will focus and take some readings. Once it does that if you are looking through the eye piece of the camera (or are in live view) you will see a bar that will flash and tell you a little about what's going on. pay attention to that bar and what other settings are flashing. learn what each of those items are (meter, and so on).

Just walking around and pointing the camera at stuff and half pressing can start you off to really knowing what's going on with the given light conditions. Also leave the built in flash down! while doing this part at least.

picture.php

Any tips?

What you are showing and describing is the use of Depth of Field (DoF). To get this effect will depend on the how you are using the camera and what lenses you have. What did you get in the kit?

Back