The brake is not enough

jgangoo

Hi Guys

I feel the brakes of FZ6R do not have that ideal progressive bite feeling when you apply it. Especially the rear brake is kind of bland without much feedback.

Is this just me or has anyone experienced this? Has anyone changed their brake sets or pad and found a difference?

Spunky99

Hi Guys

I feel the brakes of FZ6R do not have that ideal progressive bite feeling when you apply it. Especially the rear brake is kind of bland without much feedback.

Is this just me or has anyone experienced this? Has anyone changed their brake sets or pad and found a difference?
Try Spiegler or Galfer steel braided lines and either EBC or Sixity scintered brake pads.

Stricken

I have since upgraded to steel-braided lines and braking is so much better. What I used to do before the steel-braided lines is use engine braking.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have since upgraded to steel-braided lines and braking is so much better. What I used to do before the steel-braided lines is use engine braking.
That's what I do! I have used engine braking for more than two years now, with me really only using the brakes for complete stops and emergency braking. I agree that the brakes are less than ideal, but it's not a big deal to me.

Superfly

Hi Guys

I'm wonding what youre doing trying to stop with the rear brake anyways?! Youre going to get maybe 10-20% braking with the rear...And true the fronts dont feel like 4 piston Brembos but I can atest to a full day at the track from the stock fronts with no fade and solid feel all day. In fact I thought I liked the initial softer bite from the stock pads vs the harsher sudden bite my 999 brembos give...

For what its worth I think the soft front fork hurts braking stability. But in all honesty what do you expect from a relatively inexpensive entry level bike.

Heineken

Elite Member

Spunky99

I am a certified trail braker on the little NSR50. You aren't going so fast as to have to slam on the brakes because you won't carry the speed when exiting the turn if you do. I mostly setup and trail brake a little and punch it through leaning as far out as possible.

On the street, the FZ6R has enough power to really use the front and rear brakes into a corner and I trail brake in traffic to adjust my speed without any dive on the front end.

I use the brakes a lot...That's what they are there for and they take a couple of minuted to replace and are cheap just like Keith Code said.

I drive it like a sport bike, not a cruiser.....

wtnotch

On the street, the FZ6R has enough power to really use the front and rear brakes into a corner and I trail brake in traffic to adjust my speed without any dive on the front end.

I do that too, especially when I'm splitting lanes. Didn't really know why, it just felt right. Now I know why. :)

Russ

tractorboy

Keith Code said in an video I was watching: "Brakes are cheap, engine/clutch isn't. Use your brakes to slow down."
DOH!! I engine brake too. Left over from 2 stroke dirt bike days....DAMN.. really?

Keith code knows his $hit......Guess I gotta change habit. SO Steel lines really do that much for the brake feeling/action huh?!
:surrender:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Deanohh

If you slip the clutch on every downshift, you wear the clutch a little more. But if done properly, what is it about engine braking that is going to hurt the engine??

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

XTRAWLD

Anyone that has taken a course to learn how to ride (I have recently so it's still fresh in my mind after now getting my full license) you use your rear brake:

To keep the bike upright when accelerating from a full stop and making a turn, lets say exiting a tight parking spot, or leaving a driveway.
Just a small touch of it is enough to activate the brake light to show people behind you that you are slowing down. Cars don't always react to a vehicle itself and the lights can help to guide the drivers behind you that you are braking.
You will get into alot less trouble applying the rear brake through a turn than you would with the front.

I agree to replace the pads is cheaper in any instance than a clutch. While I downshift alot in my car, this comes to mind all the time, since the brakes would be cheaper to replace than the clutch and tranny in a vehicle.

I used to have SS lines on my car, but I am gun shy to put them on any other future vehicle. They can be prone to failures (I didn't have one) but many on the car forums did.

Stay safe.

owldaddy

I have used SS lines on other bikes in the past, they worked very well and gave the brakes a firmer feel. They came standard on my BMW, never had a problem with them myself. I'll be looking for some for the 6R one of these days in the not to distant future. The rear brakes are in need of some help for sure.