that's gotta be some kind of record...

Billsbet0

An unfortunate record that is.

I commute to work on my bike, it's a 47 mile ride each way. I'm on 4 different freeways and takes about an hour most days. The other day, on the way to work, weather was nice and clear yet each freeway I ride on had an accident on it. Some of the accidents were 2 car bumper action but one closed the whole freeway interchange.

I've been riding to work for 9 months now and have seen lots of accidents, and a few with bikes, but 4 on the way to work is a record for me. It's really surprising what you can see people do in their cars on the way to work. talking on cell phones (illegal in CA), texting, putting on make-up, shaving and even reading a book (yeah, it was the driver)...sometimes I wonder how there are not more accidents and maybe I should open a body shop.

Be safe out there!

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

Come to MD/DC/VA some time. It's rare (maybe it's never happened) that there isn't an accident somewhere around the beltway. We also have complete idiots behind the wheel. The stories I could tell.....

An unfortunate record that is.

I commute to work on my bike, it's a 47 mile ride each way. I'm on 4 different freeways and takes about an hour most days. The other day, on the way to work, weather was nice and clear yet each freeway I ride on had an accident on it. Some of the accidents were 2 car bumper action but one closed the whole freeway interchange.

I've been riding to work for 9 months now and have seen lots of accidents, and a few with bikes, but 4 on the way to work is a record for me. It's really surprising what you can see people do in their cars on the way to work. talking on cell phones (illegal in CA), texting, putting on make-up, shaving and even reading a book (yeah, it was the driver)...sometimes I wonder how there are not more accidents and maybe I should open a body shop.

Be safe out there!
Everywhere has their idiot drivers. Unfortunately people don't seem to grasp the concept you have to actually be paying attention. I know when you said 4 freeways you must live in So cal. I drive the 101 every day and there is a section where there is an accident at least twice a week in the same section of road. You would think people would pay more attention in that area but next day there is another one. The one thing I can say about CA is we move 10 times more cars than anywhere else so I would think per capita we are not that bad for idiots. That's why I always have a healthy dose of fear on my bike, don't commute on it, and usually ride in the city just to get out of it and head to the hills to ride.

Come in Southern Florida on a rainny day. There's some idiot park in the fence every 15-20 miles on I-95. I never understood the concept of crashing in a straight lane...

My wife is at clinical (xray school) 3 days a week now. At least once a week she has patients that wadded their bike cut off by a cager.

Glad to have my annoying loud pipe. I might piss off some of them... but so far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Now I have been to Florida twice and no offence Marty I know your not from there but those are some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. Half of them would get run over here for going so damn slow.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

bjcat1975

I'll throw a vote up for Washington state drivers. Here are some reasons they can't drive up here:

*Its raining (what we are know for)
*Its sunny (this time of the year the sun comes up during commute into work and on the way home, so its right in your eyes)
*Its snowing (keep off the road...just a dusting to 1" and people act like there is a foot on the ground)
*Its night (ahh...headlights in my face)

Seems like the only time anybody can drive is if its overcast and during the day.

Defensive riding is an every second of every day thing here. Running joke with my wife is when she asks how your ride was and I respond "Uneventful". Then she knows nothing happened.

latony007

Oh ya. Snowbirds are in town now camping in the left lane high on meds! LOL No joke... gotta be careful!

Im Canadian, I'm the type of idiot riding for his Civic at 80 MPH passing the snow/salt truck! Jo joke on that too! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
lol, Now Canada sounds like my kind of place! too bad its soo fricken cold up there. However Vancouver in summer one day I would like to go.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Billsbet0

Too much rain to ride bike to work on Thursday last week. Was on the road before 6:00 am and walked into work at 9:05 am...

Walked right into a video conference I was 30 minutes late for so was asked what the deal was with being late. All I could say was it actually rained in SoCal and we had 4 fatal car / semi truck accidents before 5:00 am since nobody in SoCal knows what to do when it rains. The comment I got back was "that's pathetic". yes, yes it is.

For those who know SoCal freeways, I'm riding the 15, 60, 71 and the 10. Work in Downtown LA. All I can say is carpool lanes and the bike save me at least 1.5 hours of commute time a day. As the saying goes, I'd rather commute there than live there...

2wheelie

I read in some magazine, the studies shows that American drivers are the worst in the world. One reason is too easy to get a license. Also, unlike in Europe, 99% of cars here have auto trany, so this relieves drivers from being concentrating on driving, instead converting the car into mobile office :mad:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

Too much rain to ride bike to work on Thursday last week. Was on the road before 6:00 am and walked into work at 9:05 am...

Walked right into a video conference I was 30 minutes late for so was asked what the deal was with being late. All I could say was it actually rained in SoCal and we had 4 fatal car / semi truck accidents before 5:00 am since nobody in SoCal knows what to do when it rains. The comment I got back was "that's pathetic". yes, yes it is.

For those who know SoCal freeways, I'm riding the 15, 60, 71 and the 10. Work in Downtown LA. All I can say is carpool lanes and the bike save me at least 1.5 hours of commute time a day. As the saying goes, I'd rather commute there than live there...
wow, three hours from riverside to l.a.? that's 60 miles for you out of towners!
Most traffic freeways in all the lands, 405, 5, 101 and 10

Maadi

This morning it snowed for real for the first time here. My car has brand new snow tires on it, so I'm all set. Plus I know how to look ahead and anticipate, brake gently, etc... You know, the usual.

Unlike ALL THE OTHER DRIVERS on my commute. Seriously, the snow plough is going 35 mph on one lane, and the "passing" lane is going slower??? WTF. It wasn't even pushing into our lane, like they sometimes have to, and then you have to do a bit of shoulder surfing to get by, but not the case today.

Oh, and by the way, in case you were wondering, the "passing" lane was the most traveled one and had barely a dusting of snow...

And yes, there was a car in the ditch at one point. On a straightaway. This is Maine! People should know how to drive in snow!!!! :mad:

OK, I think my rant is over now.

2wheelie

It is always amazes me how they drive on a side of a truck, yet afraid to pass it, in the meantime blocking the line and creating more traffic.
I always was a car guy before (before having the bike) but I find it hard and stressful driving on roads of USA, especially in high populated areas.

latony007

It is always amazes me how they drive on a side of a truck, yet afraid to pass it, in the meantime blocking the line and creating more traffic.
I always was a car guy before (before having the bike) but I find it hard and stressful driving on roads of USA, especially in high populated areas.
Driving anywhere in high populated areas is frustrating because there are so many stupid people who think they can do as they please with no consequences. Or even worse don't care about them. Oh I maimed some guy today because I had to run across 4 lanes of traffic because I didn't want to miss my exit and have to spend 3 minutes going to the next one and backtracking. Oh well at least I got my 3 minutes who cares about the other guy. Sorry a little bitter I saw this twice yesterday and it sooo pisses me off. The world does not stop because you missed your turn or your exit. GO A FRICKEN ROUND YOU IDIOTS, your 5 minutes is not worth an accident.

BKP

Well, I hear NJ is making illegal to do anything in your car while driving... including texting, talking, eating, drinking, or picking your nose...

They might have something there...