Terrified while riding...in a good way??

FazerWest

Ok guys so I've been riding...2 months now and I am learning more with every ride and maybe this is because I have been in a motorcycle accident prior to riding my own bike but I feel terrified every time I get on the bike, butterflies in my belly, heart racing, but I am having fun at the same time, BUT I feel like I am worrying so much that maybe I am not enjoying the ride as much as I should? does that make any sense? my hubby says this is normal and that you should have that element of fear in the back of your mind, but this isnt in the back of my mind its in my stomach lol, does this get better with more experience? or am i just a complete wuss? I LOVE riding my bike but I am terrified of the cars around me and what they "might" do.:facepalm:

Deputyfarva252

itll get better with time , but when your riding there should only be two things your worried about, what your doing , and not dying .......the worrying about not dying will fade with time .......the more comfortable you get on your bike the more youll calm down and be able to enjoy it more.....just part of being a newbie......

richierich781

I was the same way when I first started riding, you will get over it, It happened again to me a couple of years ago when my brother had an accident with his bike, I couldnt ride for about two weeks, the first time I got back on and about a week after I had butterflies in my stomach everytime I got on the bike.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Perfectly normal. I was scared for the first few months. Then I got scared for a bit again when I wiped out. If yer not scared, there's something wrong. I'm still scared in the back of my head, I just harness it into action and awareness. You'll be fine. :D

As for the heat, I always forget your out in Nevada, heh. Yeah, I didn't ride today. Hell, I barely even left the house since I had the day off. Waaay too hot. :surrender:

Rookasaki

Here's a secret, When I go weeks without riding... I get nervous about getting back on the saddle. Anxiety, heart pumping etc... It's completely normal. With time you will have no problem jumping on that bike... Trust me ;)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Enjarin

Elite Member

BKP

That's a tough one, FazerWest. We SHOULD be wary, at all times, of every little thing that could happen. Complacency is a very dangerous thing...
+1 on being wary...

The anxiety will fade... but when you *stop* having a few butterflies, is when you need to start watching out for complacency...

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Z3roFlaw

I'm new and I get what you're saying. I'm generally only nervous for the first few miles and then the butterflies start to go away as my confidence grows. However, I try to keep myself and my ego in check and ride within my limits.

I may be new to 2 wheels, but I'm not new to the road and I have over 12 years of real life road experience (which is much less than probably most of you) and I believe over the years I've become a more alert and defensive driver.

Even with all the road experience I have in 4 wheels, when I get on 2 wheels I ride like I'm invisible to everyone on the road. If I can help it I don't ride next to cars and I'm always aware of and planning exit strategies in the event I need to quickly speed up or change lanes to avoid something.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I've been through many dirt bike accidents and three street accidents but I'm different. I am never calmer or more aware than when I am on the bike. I'm betting my blood pressure is at an all-time low when I throw my leg over the seat and hit the starter. I have more anxiety over leaving work in the truck and dealing with rush-hour traffic. On the bike, I just take the long way home. The truck costs too much in gas to do that!

I can be totally PO'd leaving work but 2 minutes into my ride, the day is forgotten and all my mental energy is focused on the ride, what is on the road, what is 2 seconds ahead, 12 seconds ahead... Is that driver texting? Am I in anyone's blind spot? Is that a deer on the side of the road? 100% in tune with the surroundings and the ear-to-ear grin behind the helmet... Heart is a steady 60... the wheels turning... oblivious to any of life's problems. As close to paradise as I can get.

cdsdave

Ok guys so I've been riding...2 months now and I am learning more with every ride and maybe this is because I have been in a motorcycle accident prior to riding my own bike but I feel terrified every time I get on the bike, butterflies in my belly, heart racing, but I am having fun at the same time, BUT I feel like I am worrying so much that maybe I am not enjoying the ride as much as I should? does that make any sense? my hubby says this is normal and that you should have that element of fear in the back of your mind, but this isnt in the back of my mind its in my stomach lol, does this get better with more experience? or am i just a complete wuss? I LOVE riding my bike but I am terrified of the cars around me and what they "might" do.:facepalm:
So you have been riding for two months which makes you a rank beginner. It is going to take many years, or hours in the saddle, depending on how much you get to ride, to lose the beginner rank. Be patient and work hard on your riding skills. If riding is freaking you out then you should be thinking about if you are riding beyond your comfort level skill wise. Do early morning Sunday rides when there is very little to no traffic, spend lots of time in deserted parking lots working on balance, braking, clutch, and throttle control, and by all means don't get over confident that after two months of riding you will be able to follow your husband on rides he is comfortable doing. Accept that this is something you are going to be in for the long haul and it will take a lot of time to become proficient. Riding the bike should be fun, not terrifying, so ride it in conditions that make it fun. Good luck on your journey and ride safe.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

SurfJunkie

All of us as motorcycle riders need to understand that it is inherently more dangerous to ride than to drive. That is the risk we all accept when we throw our leg and mount up.

With that said, its entirely up to the rider to be responsible and ride safely. Pay attention to other drivers. Always have an escape route. If one isnt available, dont make the pass/fall back. Just dont sit stagnate next to other drivers or in blind spots. Ride to be seen and within your limits.

There should be a certain level of fear involved. You're doing something known to be more dangerous. Understand it. Master it. Learn to control yourself and decisions in panic and fear. Think of it as a challenge to yourself rather than a limitation.

If you havent done the MSF course, maybe look into doing that ? If you've done the basic, maybe do the advanced ?

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Z3roFlaw

I have the opposite for me, I am not scared at all, from day one last month when I started riding I have not been scared. Is something wrong with me? I am an extremely defensive rider and driver, maybe that is a reason?
I don't think anything I wrong. Some are more comfortable than others. However, I would just make sure that you still maintain respect for the machine that you're on.

Maybe the butterflies/scared/nervous stuff comes more to others that have witnessed, known someone or even been involved in an accident on a bike themselves.

I know I've been in an accident once and don't remember it because I received a concision out of it. But I never forget what happened and I'm reminded of it every time I trow my leg of the bike. I just learn to manage that nervousness into making me a better defensive rider that stays within my comfort zone and limits.