Terrified while riding...in a good way??

jocampo

Ok guys so I've been riding...2 months now and I am learning more with every ride and maybe this is because I have been in a motorcycle accident prior to riding my own bike but I feel terrified every time I get on the bike, butterflies in my belly, heart racing, but I am having fun at the same time, BUT I feel like I am worrying so much that maybe I am not enjoying the ride as much as I should? does that make any sense? my hubby says this is normal and that you should have that element of fear in the back of your mind, but this isnt in the back of my mind its in my stomach lol, does this get better with more experience? or am i just a complete wuss? I LOVE riding my bike but I am terrified of the cars around me and what they "might" do.:facepalm:
Having fear, butterflies, etc, especially on highway, is perfectly normal at the beginning, trust me. It happened to me. It last a few weeks or a month. But the more you expose yourself, the better you get.

Now, a bit of fear in a good way won't never go away. Or, I would say, paranoid behaviour, like expecting the worse from the cars surrounding you.

What is not normal I think, is if you ride and keep thinking about the accident. I just had my 1st major accident a few days ago, so I don't know how I will feel if I ride again. But my wife had a major car accident years ago, a truck also kill her and she had to visit a psychologist for that, panic attacks.

Just relax. Do not force yourself. If you do not feel comfortable riding, stay at home or practice on non busy streets. From there, take highways during off peak hours. You'll get better.

:)

DakinechicK

If your still THAT scared of riding might I suggest taking more classes. None of us are or ever will know everything there is to know about riding. Classes can help even the most advanced rider! Always learning.... that is key! There are so many different riding classes where you can use your own bike and get used to it while learning and getting more comfortable so as not to be so terrified. It's okay to be cautious and worried sometimes when you ride, however if you are so freaked out that is causes you more anxiety than joy, I would recommend more classes or maybe rethink the reason you want to ride.

Here are examples of what I am talking about as far as classes go....

Track classes which would help you be more comfortable in focus, control, and cornering, etc.

Rider basic classes for more in depth riding techniques, defensive braking, improving your visual aspect so as to know where to look and what to look for while on your bike (Being aware of your surroundings) as well as swerving comfortably. Etc.

More advanced rider classes that teach you more in depth riding techniques and become proficient and gain confidence. How to use your bike to its limits. Learning and emphasis on how to turn in the smallest area. Knowledge and use of transmission, clutch and brakes for the highest level of control. Also, practicing your maximum braking and brake and escape maneuvers.

BUT, most of all, just get out and ride. Learn your bike. Figure out what you are scared of. Good luck.

FazerWest

Thanks all for the amazing advice/tips, and its not something im not gonna overcome, because i dont let fear control me, that was the reason i got my own bike in the first place, and got on again as a passanger only 10 months after the accident (7 of which i couldnt walk at all, so i couldnt ride) tuesday is gonna be 90 out, so that will be a good day to advance into riding in the heat!!!, and i dont ever ride beyond what im capable of, i havent been on hwy yet, cause im not ready for that, and my fastest cornering turn was 22mph!!! lol that was really fun actually!! most times i slow down to 10-12mph to corner! i am gonna change my mindset to "fun, not fearful" but i am always on high alert and that helps to know that thats a good thing!! :) ty all sooooo much!!!!

jocampo

Thanks all for the amazing advice/tips, and its not something im not gonna overcome, because i dont let fear control me, that was the reason i got my own bike in the first place, and got on again as a passanger only 10 months after the accident (7 of which i couldnt walk at all, so i couldnt ride) tuesday is gonna be 90 out, so that will be a good day to advance into riding in the heat!!!, and i dont ever ride beyond what im capable of, i havent been on hwy yet, cause im not ready for that, and my fastest cornering turn was 22mph!!! lol that was really fun actually!! most times i slow down to 10-12mph to corner! i am gonna change my mindset to "fun, not fearful" but i am always on high alert and that helps to know that thats a good thing!! :) ty all sooooo much!!!!
Associate something positive with each trip. :) For instance, ride before eating ice cream or visit a friend or seeing hubby. It will train your brain to be happy and enjoy your ride even more.

Andy

Sounds like you are doing fine. Always expect people around you to do something stupid. Rember the wreck wasnt your fault. Ride / learn @ your own pace and you will be fine.

redwing-2001

to further what dakinechick said, here is a link for MSF classes in your area:
Motorcycle Safety Foundation
Taking a BRC or BRC2 on your bike will probably make a huge difference for you.

FazerWest

to further what dakinechick said, here is a link for MSF classes in your area:
Motorcycle Safety Foundation
Taking a BRC or BRC2 on your bike will probably make a huge difference for you.
Thanks i have taken the course, the advance one they make you use your own bike and i honestly wouldnt want to do that, specially since when i took my class the first time the parking lot was total crap, holes and rocks everywhere.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

FazerWest

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!