TBR exhaust install walkthrough (10 Steps)

Merc250r

Tried to remove the headers today but couldn't get to the center bolts because the radiator was in the way.didn't have the proper tools.

kevin8198

Elite Member

lwclancers

Yup, last minute whim I picked up a 6" extender and wasn't even thinking...glad I did cause I sure needed it!

2 man woulda been a lot easier...don't get deterred though, it is possible with 1 person (I managed haha).

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Merc250r

If that's the worst thing that could happen then you are in great shape:thumbup: Get some good tools including an extender and have someone there to help you, it's a lot easier as a two man job.
Never mind my dumbass never bothered to look in the tool box and see what I had. If you'd like to add this to your post it would be cool, because of this piece I couldn't get to the center bolts. But removed it and everything is good. Exhaust just came in so I'll finish the installation tonight using your pics:thumbup:

Merc250r

Yup, last minute whim I picked up a 6" extender and wasn't even thinking...glad I did cause I sure needed it!

2 man woulda been a lot easier...don't get deterred though, it is possible with 1 person (I managed haha).
My wife the Mechanic technician lol.:p

Merc250r

I don't think that part comes on the '09 6R's...Hmmm.
yea now that I look at your pics It looks a little different this piece is attached to the back of the radiator I have no freaking clue what the purpose of it is. I'll try to snap some pics so that way someone else doesn't get it confused.

lwclancers

I didnt need to take that off my 2010 either. (meaning I didnt have one either)

JimmyC

Removing the stock exhaust on a 2011 you do need th remove at least the lower radiator mounting bolt I believe it was 10mm this allows you to slightly push the radiator forward and gain just enough room to get a standard 12mm socket on a long extension and remove the header nuts.....make sure you use a standard socket and not a deep socket otherwise you won't have room to get by the radiator bracket.

kvc25

Just installed my TBR but I have a couple of questions: the way I have my exhaust set up, it's not able to attach to the clamp flush. Therefore, I ended up just using the extra OEM exhaust holder bolt. Attached is the pic (I didn't tighten it any further in fear of damaging or bending something important). Do you guys think I can tighten it all the way without doing damage, or should I just leave it like this? It's pretty secure at the moment. Secondly, just wanted to reassure myself that there should be a gap like this between the headers and the exhaust ports. Seems odd that a gap like this would be normal. I will check for leaks in the morning (hopefully none!).

Attachments

kevin8198

Elite Member
Last edited:

kvc25

It might be the angle I took the pic at. And yes I kept the stock gaskets in and tightened the headers before anything else. I'll try to tighten the mounting clamp all the way as well. If i encounter any leaks, i will loosen the back and re do the headers again. Any tips on checking for leaks? I was just going to use the lighter method. Thanks.

kevin8198

Elite Member

linkgt

Thanks for the writeup!. Helped me take off exhaust and what not. I bought a Slip-on meant for a Ninja 650. I bought a 2-1 collector and my dad made some cuts and welds. Should be up installed by tomorrow. I cant wait to hear it tommorow! all I need now is a PCV...

Last edited: