Strange Noises, I think

FCRADAR

Does anyone else experience a high pitched whistle/whining sound when in fifth or sixth gear around 7K or more RPM's. I'm trying to determine if there is some issues I should head into the shop about. I bought the bike new, and as far as I remember, the sound has always been present, but it doesn't sound right. I never noticed it until I got a different helmet that allowed in more road noise than my old one.

Bozman

Mine does the same. Have no idea what it is but it's always been that way. I'm just used to the different sounds and things now at this point.

Chucker

Is it your front sprocket? Try moving your left knee out while you ride to see if it gets louder. Mine has always had a bit of a whine coming from the front sprocket. Hasn't caused any issues and I've heard a similar sound from other bikes.

Bert-Aus

Is it the windscreen?

I noticed a strange noise above 80km/h not long after getting my ride, and discovered following a post on here somewhere about the windscreen.
Apparently some sort of resonant frequency from tiny vibrations between the windscsreen and the fairing.

Anyways if you take off your windscreen and run 2 short beads of silicon along the 'seat' of the windscreen tips
around the 'jewel' head light (leave a gap at the bottom-most points to allow moisture to drain out) and put your windscreen back on, it will stop that sound.

jfont

Same issue here I think it is only in 5th for me.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

bm3schmi

I'm going to have to agree with this post. When I was at the yamaha dealer last year with my bike another rider had the same issue, after the dealership took it for a test ride they determined it was vibrations from the windscreen.

Is it the windscreen?

I noticed a strange noise above 80km/h not long after getting my ride, and discovered following a post on here somewhere about the windscreen.
Apparently some sort of resonant frequency from tiny vibrations between the windscsreen and the fairing.

Anyways if you take off your windscreen and run 2 short beads of silicon along the 'seat' of the windscreen tips
around the 'jewel' head light (leave a gap at the bottom-most points to allow moisture to drain out) and put your windscreen back on, it will stop that sound.