Stator cover removal

milepig

Anyone know if there any surprises to be on the watch for in taking the stator cover off a '09 FZ6R? Looks like a pretty straight forward job, but just thought I'd check first. It's just a straight cover replacement. Thanks.

Y

yellowfz

Have not removed one on this bike, but others it was just remove and replace.
Checked service manual and shows nothing that would fall out or off.

Last edited by a moderator:

CtrlAltDl

Looks pretty straight forward. You should probably get a new gasket for it.

FYI, if you tip the bike on it's side (45 degrees) you may be able to do it without draining the oil.

Attachments

Y

yellowfz

I don't think that is oil bath, think there is a engine seal that isolates the oil in that area.. Could be wrong, none of the newer ones I have done were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midori

Dead thread revival! :zombie:

After getting to the point of removing the stator wiring harness couple have you noticed that the couple itself is LARGER than the darn hole its supposed to come out of?

I'm getting ready to splice those darn wires to get the crankcase cover off.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Midori

No worries there, I have all the parts and was following the rules as requested in the service manual. Getting it unbolted and popped off was not the issue but rather the stator itself is bolted to the inside of the crankcase/stator cover and the wiring coming out of it is routed thru a small hole in the frame. The stator wiring coupler is larger than the hole that the wire is run thru so i cant get the darn thing off. *sigh*

I'll post a pic in a minute. *arrgh*

Midori

That silly wire goes behind the frame plate thru a silly little hole smaller than the white coupler. Bah, time to chop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EDIT: photo attach failure.

Last edited:

SomeGuyFromCali

That silly wire goes behind the frame plate thru a silly little hole smaller than the white coupler. Bah, time to chop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EDIT: photo attach failure.
Soooo how'd it go?

Was chopping wires necessary? :eek:

Any other special surprises to be aware of?

My girl dropped her raven in the gravel on the left side and I am still waiting for our frame sliders to arrive so she put some pretty nice little nicks in the case.

I'd like to replace it for her but if it means I have to chop wires then I might try to cover them up with flat black stove pipe paint instead...

From the picture CtrlAltDl posted it looks like the wire doesn't actually go through the case. Am I wrong?

milepig

Just noticed some replies to my thread... didn't have email notification setup properly...

Anywho... had a little oops and gouged it pretty bad, so we're just replacing the cover. As mentioned thought it looked pretty easy and straight forward, just thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew if there was bs involved. Thanks for the replies All!

milepig

One thing that does help a little when re installing the cover is to get 3 or 4, 4 inch or so long bolts of the same thread size of the cover, cut the heads off, insert those long bolts into the block and use them as guides. Helps keep the magnets from grabbing the cover when your trying to get it into place. Not really necessary, but it helps.

milepig

Yes it is an oil bath!
Any idea how much oil is lost? I just did my VFR and it only lost a table spoon or so. Just change the oil in the 6r, wondering if it may be best to wait till the next change to do the cover.

Michael Wilson

Lean the bike over and it will be fine. Just top the oil up when your done

Y

yellowfz

Yes it is an oil bath!
You are correct, looked at manual and states to drain oil to remove cover.
They were, then they weren't, they are now, in a couple of designs later they may not be.
Not unusual, have been oil bathing them for years.

whittaker

just doing it as we speak the alternator bolts are torx and you need to be quite precise with it it does leak oil but very very miniscule about 100ml at the most just have an ice cream container on hand and put some "lock tight" on the alternator crank case for good measure im having to just put a new gasket in instead of replacing because my torx sets are horrible.... all in all seems like an easy job not hard to open just make sure to have a photo or a good memory.

Reactions: JT

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

whittaker

well your in luck jt i just started my mechanics apprenticeship so all these tools are at my disposal as of monday so ill either get my go pro (which contains wombat dodging good times on kawasucky and fz) and either post a quick video of how i did it and what i did and hopefully not too much hindsight mistakes, ill be doing a fair bit on this bike so ill hopefully post a few things including the good old how i did my aftermarket kit and the bodges necessary with fixing this bike from a wreck i have done most but i intend on another tear down in the future to straighten the front arm (bar/fairing holdermijig.)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member