Shifting problem?

varanman

I just bought a brand new 2010 FZ6R as my first bike. I am learning everything day by day and I already put around 220 miles on the bike within the last 2-3 weeks. Now, I have made a few mistakes. One where I shifted up from 4th to 5th gear without pulling in clutch by accident, and also not shifting when I was supposed to along with a few other little mistakes. Don't know if I am going crazy and if the bike always made these two sounds, but one sound sounds like the wind is blowing or a little screech, and the other sounds like a rattle.. also the shifter sometimes stops on the way of it's shifting. Almost like when you shift from 1st to 2nd but you feel the neutral. Is this the bike just breaking in? Can the one time that I didn't hold that clutch in really mess up the gears?

Hey, there is a little bit of a break in with a brand new bike especially if you're the first rider on it but that will go away. I had the same issue when I first got my 09. What I found that fixed it was to actually put my foot a little lower underneath the shifter so it gives you a little more oompf behind getting the shifter put up in the position it needs to be in. If you're getting a rattling sound that's because you're not giving enough gas with the amount you're letting out the clutch but that will come to you too the more you get on the bike.

If you are not going very fast, first to second won't shift cleanly. You'll have to learn the right technique and you'll get good shifts. I don't mean speed shifts all the time but with a sharp movement and full stroke of the toe and with the clutch almost in one motion. Your little shift and other small goofs shouldn't hurt a thing. I don' t know what your sounds are.. have someone listen to it who has had inline 4's. Its probably just the engine singing.

First oil change and she should come good.

edit: Pics? You use the attachment paperclip icon to upload directly. Or you can link externally hosted pics with the tags or use the pic icon (paste link) just like nearly every other vBulletin forum.

2nd edit: Welcome aboard

Last edited:
I shift without my clutch regularly, "just because I can" - just a blip of the throttle and it slides right into the next gear. I don't think it's bad for the transmission, maybe someone knows for sure.
Upshifting without disengaging the clutch is fine. It's better at higher revs. I don't do it from 1st to 2nd, just because you have to pass neutral.

Not to hijack your thread varanman but I know a lot of other people have had issues with shifting from 1 to 2 at a high RPM and second or two after shifting, it drops out of 2nd and into neutral.
I have been having this problem lately but even worse is when this happens, for some reason it is almost like neutral disengages the clutch because I try to pull the clutch in and shift again, the dogs grind and don't engage smoothly. I have to "pump" if you will the clutch in and out a few times to get it to engage smoothly and to be able to shift again. anyone have the same happen to them? Maybe I just need to tighten the clutch up?

When you've gone into neutral, the shaft speeds in the tranny are mismatched so you get a clash when the dogs try to engage. The clutch is disengaged so engine speed doesn't have much to do with it. When you engage the clutch again while in neutral, you start spinning the tranny parts again and the dogs are spinning close enough to engage. Kind of like the old fashioned "double clutching" for trucks and cars.

I don't know why it falls out of 2nd though, that shouldn't happen.

I still have the shift grind from 1 to 2 on the 6R... But, dealer looked at it already and says that's normal. On the R6 all the shifts are silky smooth at all rpms though. I've given up. lol

When you've gone into neutral, the shaft speeds in the tranny are mismatched so you get a clash when the dogs try to engage. The clutch is disengaged so engine speed doesn't have much to do with it. When you engage the clutch again while in neutral, you start spinning the tranny parts again and the dogs are spinning close enough to engage. Kind of like the old fashioned "double clutching" for trucks and cars.

I don't know why it falls out of 2nd though, that shouldn't happen.
My '82 Yamaha Vision would pop out of gear sometimes when it was new. I went to the dealer to talk to the guy that sold it to me, who had ridden GP in Europe for years, and he told me it was because the edges of the gears were a little too square and they needed to be rounded off a bit. He told me to upshift without the clutch for a while, which I did. It took a few weeks of riding everyday and the problem went away. I put about 26000 kms on that bike afterwards and don't remember it ever popping out of gear again.

I have the opposite on my FZ6R. I can hardly tell it shifts. Almost no feel at all.

shift technique

I found that if I continue to hold the shift lever up while engaging the clutch my old bike was less likely to pop back out of gear. I believe this is the proper way to do it, although I still find myself letting go of the shift lever before engaging the clutch most of the time. I havent really had a problem with the fz6r, but I have noticed that the tranny seems smoother now with 2600miles than it did when new.

I got it in blue btw. I am in the Oceanside, CA area. Is there anyone nearby interested in riding? I need motorcycle friends! And thank you for the responses. Surprizingly I haven't dropped it yet and I had no prior experience to motorcycles. I already have about 590 miles on it and soon, according to my manual, I will have to change the oil.

Recently, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd I kick up but don't feel a click, but it still does go into 3rd.

Back