Seat mod - a different approach

bobski

I was reading someone elses seat mod thread and there was an excellent tutorial on what makes bike seats comfortable and how to mod seats to create those seat characteristics. The basic idea detailed is to reduce the forward slope of the seat (by raining the front and/or lowering the back) so you don't slide forward which tends to push flesh rearward off of the 'sitting bones' and leaves them with less natural padding. Also to reduce the 'crown' of the seat and create a bit of a cup in the foam for your butt to rest in with the presure spread over a larger area rather than perched on your sitting bones on a crown of foam. The tutorial shows details of how to add layers of foam and shape it and carve out other areas of form, all very good, but seems like a lot of fairly complicated work. I'm trying it a much simpler way. With the seat adjustment plate in the low position I have installed the stock seat with the toung in the high slot and kept the rear retaining bolts in the standard low position. Only mod needed was to make up some small wodden shims to support the rubber pads under the seat pan as the non standard position (toung in high slot with rear bolts on low position) raises the rubber supports off/above the support plate. The result is stock seat with level or slight backward slope as opposed to a forward slope . . as suggested in the tutorial without the need for any foam reworking and upholstery work. It doesn't address the cupping and I haven't tested it yet, but I will post my findings first chance I get to give it a 100klm spin.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Believe it or not tired that (added rubber), didn't work for me.
I wound up getting a old seat (foam density close to the stock) from a shop near me and made a foam cutter using wire and car battery charger and cut the foam to a thickness I wanted, shaped it and used some softer foam on top all with stock seat cover. My butt thanks me for it. :eek:
I know DIY, everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

Has anyone tried sheepskin? The tourers seem to swear by them...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

WKD

I did that and I think it works great, the guy I went to was actually a horse tack person but can re-cover and do all kinds of stuff with the leather and foam, if you have ever ridden a horse you'd understand that they have a tough job because it is also dealing with horse comfort as well as rider. Anyway, long story short I now have a fitted piece of sheepskin that does extend my comfort and when it is sitting in the sun all day at work I don't burn my A$$ off.

bobski

I put some time and money on mine and it's fine. I got sore during my big trip but I rework the foam a bit and it seams all good now. I think over time the foam kind of sag and wasn't supporting me as good as it use too. I had quite a lot of foam on the front to remove the slope. I don't have 3" mattress... but pretty dang close LOL

I have a combo of high, med and low density foam and I put back my gel insert. I can ride that thing all day long... I actually did for almost 6 days in a row!
Hi Martin, when you say you reworked the foam a bit to make it better what did you do? Did you flatten it, make a cup on it for your butt, just flatten it, make it wider or narrower? Or something else. From your experience what is the key to the most comfortable shape?

CtrlAltDl

I have, and it is much more comfortable, but I find that I gives me a case of "schwetty bawls".

I ride in the rain a lot, and I'd imagine sheepskin would get pretty nasty in the rain, so I don't keep it on my bike for my everyday commute.

I just bought a piece from a manufacturer of auto seat covers, and had my wife trim it down and I slip it on for the long rides.

Still need a little bit more cushion with it, but I really like the uneven texture of it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

I did that and I think it works great, the guy I went to was actually a horse tack person but can re-cover and do all kinds of stuff with the leather and foam, if you have ever ridden a horse you'd understand that they have a tough job because it is also dealing with horse comfort as well as rider. Anyway, long story short I now have a fitted piece of sheepskin that does extend my comfort and when it is sitting in the sun all day at work I don't burn my A$$ off.
Thanks. That was good enough a final endorsement for me to pull the trigger on a sheepskin cover from Alaskaleatheronline (Pillion 1 in sheared natural).
I'll let ya know how it works out...

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

WKD

I have, and it is much more comfortable, but I find that I gives me a case of "schwetty bawls".

I ride in the rain a lot, and I'd imagine sheepskin would get pretty nasty in the rain, so I don't keep it on my bike for my everyday commute.

I just bought a piece from a manufacturer of auto seat covers, and had my wife trim it down and I slip it on for the long rides.

Still need a little bit more cushion with it, but I really like the uneven texture of it.
Actually the one thing that surprised me is the stuff I got was hospital grade machine washable. The only thing I want is a rain hoody for when I am not on the bike, I somehow don't think it is water repellent.

bobski

Stuna, that seat looks amazing to me at 65! I'm thinking maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those rather than mess up the stock seat. Then when the time comes to sell or change bikes I can just put the stock back on and I'm sure I could find a buyer for a discounted Russel Day Long and recover a good part of the invesment.

bobski

Nice to see my local gear shop getting some love from folks down south. :thumbup: I just bought my new Scorpion jacket from them, as well as my transitions visor for my Bell helmet. Good folks there.
Hey Nastybutler, you may remember I'm going to be in Whitier on August 4th. I know that's somewhere near Ancorage but but is it near enough for me to drop by Alaska Leathers store to check out the butt pads and other gear?

bobski

Ok, here a some pics as requested. My wood shims are only about 3/8" and they could be made higher if wanted. The further the front bumpers are raised the further the 'back' rubber bumpers will be raised from the base plate also and you may want to add a couple of lower shims there too. At only 3/8" on the front the rear bumpers aren't raised very much so I didn't bother with additional shims there. If I keep this mod or raise it a bit more I will probably add them. I had it out for 100klm and immediately noticed a different 'feel' with the flatter seat position. It felt like my weight was distributed over a larger area, specifically more seat contact lower on my butt towards my thighs, it has spread the weight over a larger area and I definitely could feel an improvement after the 100klm. On hard acceleration the flatter seat doesn't provide as much 'backing' as the forward sloping seat and you can notice that as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

stuna

Stuna, that seat looks amazing to me at 65! I'm thinking maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy one of those rather than mess up the stock seat. Then when the time comes to sell or change bikes I can just put the stock back on and I'm sure I could find a buyer for a discounted Russel Day Long and recover a good part of the invesment.
it was made from the stock seat pan