Rox 1"up/1"back Risers - Yes, you can use stock lines and cables

sti491

A while back I added these risers after I did my seat height mod (separate post). I really like these combined with my seat. I'm 6'3" tall with most of that height in my legs. Combine that with 3 back surgeries and I needed a more upright seating position.

Another forum member wanted to see how I routed my cables, so here ya go. These pics were after my SS brake line instal.The left front brake line is a custom length, just a bit longer than Galfer's stock line. I probably could have gotten away with their stock length. So, unfortunately I can't take a pic of my stock rubber brake line routing to show that now. The stock rubber brake line was the one line I considered a bit snug after installing the risers. However, I rode it that way for months and never had a bit of a problem, so I think with the original brake line re-routing I did as explained below, it was fine.

I did not disconnect any cables or lines. I put a folded towel on my tank, unbolted the handle bar and the black wire "cable keeper" just in front of it. I trial fit the Rox Risers and moved things around until I was happy with the fitment. The cables are a bit more snug. The brake line was the one I worried about being perhaps a bit to tight, maybe when the front end was unweighted doing small power wheelies in 1st & 2nd, that I am prone to do with my mods. However, it was fine. I probably put on 800 mi with the stock lines. The other lines still went through the wire keeper, except the left signal controller wire bundle I left out of it and used new zip ties here and there (on the fork leg) to keep it tidy.

Here is how I remember (the best I can) how I did the stock brake line: Kept the top part of the line routed as it was. From under the front end of the bike (lying down looking up where the horn is), I disconnected the metal clamp (a bolt) that is on a rubber cushion that is stuck to the brake line to protect it from the clamp. I am pretty sure that I tried to move that rubber part, to slide it up, but it would not budge, as it's bonded to the line. So I pulled the line down toward the wheel, with that rubber cushion no longer in the clamp. I used a piece of sticky back foam, from Home Depot used to seal windows and doors. I used that to protect the line from the clamp, with the hose in the new position. I felt whatever extra slack there was needed to be below that clamp, between it and the wheel. That's it. I fussed with all the other lines until I was happy.

I added the black fabric Tesa Tape to the riser bottoms and triple tree because the tree was getting all scratched up from my keys and alarm remote.

Attachments

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

sti491

Who you calling' "old" Martin?!!....

I am a spry 64 years old, young at heart and spirit, as the rest of me is falling apart day by day!!! LOL!

Been a while... let me try to remember as best as I can. I did the same "old man" mod on mine back in the days. I used the Renthal 787 if I remember well and I had to reroute most cable and wires... but it's doable. Big thing was the brake line. OEM goes from the master to the LH side and bridge to the right. What I did was to move the line to the RH side (swap bango bolt with new crush washers) and bleed the brakes.
View attachment 39964

She just turn 50K miles old there...