Retro Fit Kit DIY

linkgt

The group buy should still be active, give Nate at TRS a call and he'll hook you up. I got the Gatling II shroud and think it looks great, others think it's too big for the housing.

The kit is definitely top quality though, I was impressed with how solid everything is. They stand behind the product too - I ended up with a bad bulb, and Nate shipped out a new one the same day. E-mailed on Wednesday, new bulb arrived Friday morning. Very impressed with their service.

[email protected]

Nice thanks! if that's the case i might end up buying it this week then.

linkgt

cool, any pre done assemblies?
It's pretty easy. I was a bit hessitant at first too but it's actually not too hard tbh. Pretty much just take apart headlight unit, and stick in the projector and make sure everything is stable before your stick headlight unit back together... more or less. I had to take off my headdlight unit a few days ago and apply silicone all around it because it would fog up and i had to tighten where the bulb goes because it was vibrating too much while riding. (both my errors) so yea just have attn to detail to things like that.

Tmak73

The group buy should still be active, give Nate at TRS a call and he'll hook you up. I got the Gatling II shroud and think it looks great, others think it's too big for the housing.

The kit is definitely top quality though, I was impressed with how solid everything is. They stand behind the product too - I ended up with a bad bulb, and Nate shipped out a new one the same day. E-mailed on Wednesday, new bulb arrived Friday morning. Very impressed with their service.

[email protected]

So is this Nate's direct phone line to contact with questions?
Just wanted to make sure because I noticed there was a general number for contact on their site. Just had a xentec kit crap out on me and I think I need to just go for something with better quality rather than replacing cheap kits.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Tmak73

I think you may have to ask for Nate, but that is the number that I used. I definitely think that The Retrofit Source has quality, and I can't speak for any other kit, but if you are replacing cheap kits constantly, it definitely would be worth switching. They stand behind what they sell you, so you are getting a good product AND service.
Not sure if you noticed Black but they are using a picture of your bike on their site for the motorcycle kit!

Thanks for the input. I was considering going with a ddm kit but I mind as well go with something thats all in one. I will save my technical questions for Nate.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Tmak73

Will do man! One quick one that is bothering me.. Is the bulb in the kit an H4 bulb? I saw something about an adapter that may convert whatever bulb they give us to work with our harness.

May be a while til I can scrape the moolah together for the kit. Luckily I have some decent running lights for daytime riding just sucks I can't ride at night anymore.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Tmak73

Sounds good! I am more worried about opening up the housing and re-sealing it properly.
I have a brother-in-law who has a small engines degree but works at a marina on just about any size boat you can think of. I think he is going to help me put it together and he has a heat gun which will hopefully work better than the oven method.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

applejax

Sounds good! I am more worried about opening up the housing and re-sealing it properly.
I have a brother-in-law who has a small engines degree but works at a marina on just about any size boat you can think of. I think he is going to help me put it together and he has a heat gun which will hopefully work better than the oven method.
Your headlight sits in an oven for 10 minutes. No way anything is easier than that.

chewmieser

Phew, that was a doozy. Here's a few pointers for anyone else looking to do this (in no particular order):

* The Astro shroud doesn't fit, bit snipping the top and bottom of the shroud's outer ring works.
* The HID holds up just fine in the oven when you're re-sealing it.
* Disassembly and reassembly of the bike is the simple part. I taped all my screws to the parts they came off with. Worked well.
* Pay attention to alignment before you put everything together. Mine is permanently angled. Enough that it annoys me, but not enough that I'm willing to re-heat and re-open the housing.
* I bought the angel eye with mine. Unfortunately, a wire came out and the Astro shroud doesn't like it too much. So, no-go there.
* On the wire harness, for me, blue went to the solenoid (for hi-beams) and orange went to the ballast.
* I mounted the ballast on the bar going to the dash. There was an open hole that wasn't used by anything else, and it fit wonderfully.

And here's a picture of my finished housing:

bobby bo bonsin

Just did mine too. Blacked out everything including power crystal and painted shroud orange.not sure how I feel about the orange? I just wanted some color in there. I always really liked fzrblack's with the blue shroud. I had to file down the top of the gti-r shroud a little for it to fit in reflector bowl but I think this is because I didn't use the silicone washer.I used a standard o ring instead because I couldn't tighten down the projector enough to expose a couple threads to mount the bulb. I was afraid of breaking the reflector bowl if I were to keep tightening. This thing definetely increases visibility by alot!

Attachments

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member