Retro Fit Kit DIY

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

bobby bo bonsin

Yeah man!! Looks good. I think it brings some nice contrast to your bike. It does match your levers. Yeah, if you didn't use the silicone washer, it would set the whole assembly down into the reflector. I didn't have to trim anything with the shroud. The only issue that I think most of us had was with the alignment ring. You can't use it the way that it was made, you have to trim the tab on the inside and align it by eye. I definitely think it was one of the best mods that I ever did.
Thanks, yeah I noticed it wouldn't be level so I grinded each tab of the h4 ring so I could rotate it around more and then silicone d it in place. Its not perfect and is still slightly higher on the left side when sitting on the bike but its pretty close. Yeah I just couldn't resist painting it orange, I really wanted some color in there to make it pop a little. It actually looks pretty good in person and ties in the orange wheel stripes and levers. And the reddish copper paint in some lights has a strong orange undertone and in that setting it looks really good.

bobby bo bonsin

Kansas5

Would I be able to buy something like this from them? If not, where could I get something like it? Love the look of the LED headlights. It would look sharp on the front of my bike.

Attachments

RooKie

Looks awesome, bobby bo bonsin and applejax!

bobby bo bonsin, was it difficult to get rid of the burn spots on the inside of the lamp? You also already had an HID on your ride, did you just buy part of the retrofit kit, or an entire set that included HID bulb and balast?

Does anyone know if they have angel-eye options for the retrofit?

applejax

bobby bo bonsin, was it difficult to get rid of the burn spots on the inside of the lamp? You also already had an HID on your ride, did you just buy part of the retrofit kit, or an entire set that included HID bulb and balast?

They do. I bought it but never put it in because it clashed with the blackness.

BoneJj

Would I be able to buy something like this from them? If not, where could I get something like it? Love the look of the LED headlights. It would look sharp on the front of my bike.
There is a thread on this forum(EDIT) my bad, I thought I was on another site... lol, about how to make something similar, it was quite cool and simple.... Worth checking out.

It just depends on how psycho you are and if you want to take the time to make something custom yourself....

EDIT part 2

I could make you something like that but I would need to be supplied with a headlight to work on...

bobby bo bonsin

Thanks alot. No the burn spots almost just wiped off with a rag.I used a little headlight restore (mothers) on a microfiber towel and buffed it off then wiped inside of headlight with a little rubbing alcohol to remove any streaks.came off really easy. Oh and I just ordered the whole kit and installed it.

Last edited:

RooKie

Thanks alot. No the burn spots almost just wiped off with a rag.I used a little headlight restore (mothers) on a microfiber towel and buffed it off then wiped inside of headlight with a little rubbing alcohol to remove any streaks.came off really easy.
Nice. How about the retrofit kit? Did you buy the whole set or just partial and reused your existing parts?

bobby bo bonsin

Nice. How about the retrofit kit? Did you buy the whole set or just partial and reused your existing parts?
I just ordered the whole thing and replaced everything.

cavcuz05

ahh...glad to see my hard work going to good work...i wish i had painted the whole shroud but i like the black chrome look i have going now

chewmieser

Part #2:
So... I finally decided to fix a few things (forced fixed because I was an idiot and didn't tighten my ballast enough to the original position... It fell off when I parked it today :banghead:). Reopened the housing, SILICONED the shroud (it won't stay on without it), snipped the alignment tabs and aligned by eye. Also changed the location of the ballast (either one works fine, I prefer my new location, but it's close-ish to the forks [but doesn't interfere with them]).

Hopefully this is the last time that I'll be working on this mod, but I'm incredibly pleased with the end-result now.

So, final list of "tips" to follow when working on the housing:
* Snip the alignment ring's tabs and align it by eye.
* Silicone the shroud!
* Silicone the housing, WELL. The first time I ended up with fog. This time it should be alright, but we'll see.
* The unit (projector, light, etc) holds up in the oven no problem! I've heated to open and close it twice now without an issue.

Thanks again cavcuz05! I couldn't have done this without you, and now it all feels like second-nature.

cavcuz05

No problem! :iconbeer:

McJosh

So is anyone offering this service yet? I'm in AZ and haven't met any other fz6r riders out here...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cavcuz05

It really isn't that hard. Perhaps attempt it yourself...

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
Trust me this was my first try on a bike and as long as you TAKE YOUR TIME AND FOLLOW MY WRITE UP....you will be fine...also ask ask ask and ask if you are unsure about something

cavcuz05

Now how bout some Rep!!!...lol JK:thumbup: