Retro Fit Kit DIY

cavcuz05

WORK IN PROGRESS...IF I MISSED SOMETHING LET ME KNOW AND ILL FIX IT

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

talk with Nate

WARNINIG: AS YOU KNOW THIS IS A CUSTOM JOB...I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR BIKE IN THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING THIS KIT.

-KEEP TRACK OF YOUR SCREWS. TAKE PICTURES, LABEL THEM, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

TOOLS NEEDED:
-Hex Key/Allen Key (To Take off the fairing)
-Socket Wrench (for the seat, and headlight).
-Philips Head (4 Way Screw driver)
-Containers (for screws, trust me on this one...)
-Gloves/ alcohol swabs (So you don't get your natural oily skin on the bulb)
-Silicone adhesive (to reseal minor pin holes in the existing seal)
-Compressed air (optional-used to clean parts after filing
-Spray Paint (optional-color of your choice)
-Dremel/File (may need to file down the projector wings to seat it down into the shroud)
-Motorcycle cover/blanket (To put fairings on to prevent scratchs)
-Beer will be a must for those who don't have PATIENCE
(PIC HERE OF TOOLS)

STEP 1: FAIRING REMOVAL

Take off this lower cowling at the bottom of the front of the bike

It's held on by 4 screws that need a hex key to take off. After you have the screws off, take off the plastic piece.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(You can start working on either side of the bike, I'll just post this side first and later on I'll post the other side. Also refer to the Owner's Manual if you are unsure about how to take off the fairing)

Start taking off the screws of the fairing on the left hand side, make sure you work on one side at a time so you don't mess up the screws or lose parts.

There are 3 screws on top, another two on the bottom. Remove these and put them into the container or i put them back into the threads

Once removed you can unclip the turn signal wire clips and set the fairing on you blanket.

Looks like this:

STEP 2: AIR INTAKE/DASH/MIRROR REMOVAL

Remove your wind screen (6 screws total and set aside)

After you take off the sides, you now want to start working on the dash. Take off the dash side plastics:

This is taken off by a hex key bolt and a plastic quick screw, then slide the plastic off.

The dash is next, held on by the same thing. A quick screw and a hex key bolt:

After that, slide the dash out and over the gauges and set it aside.

The mirrors are easy to remove, as they're only held on by 2 nuts for each mirror. Unscrew these and the mirror will come right out, I used my socket wrench for this, just have to move the handlebars to get some room.

Next remove the 4 screws on each side holding the side intake tubes off-slide forward and set aside.

STEP 3: FRONT HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL

Once you have all the ram intakes off and the dash, look down towards the front of the bike (You will see two screws and two bolt) Remove these on both sides

4 Screws 4 bolts(headlight)

Pull the front off the bike and you will see ONE last screw at the top holding the wish bone to the font cowl

Picture showing 5 screws on the inside of the cowl

Last edited:

cavcuz05

STEP 4: HEADLIGHT TEAR DOWN

Once you have the headlight off remove the rubber cover and bulb also if you want remove the h4 retension clip via the small screw on the back side

Now for the fun part but some foil down in the oven (or you could use a heat gun) and pre heat to 250. Place your headlight in the oven for 10-15 keepng an eye on it just to make sure nothing melts

Once time is up start at the corners and work your way around WITH A PUTTY KNIFE OR FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER
(TAKE YOUR TIME HERE THE PLASTIC IS VERY WARM HERE AND CAN RIP EASILY)

Once you think you broke the seal remove the front by gently prying it apart

STEP 5: MOUNTING/PUTTING THE PROJECTOR TOGETHER

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36643-How-to-Mount-Morimoto-Mini-D2S-Bi-xenon-projectors

Put the black retension ring groves up in the shroud ensure its seated all the way flush

next put your projector down into the shroud also ensuring its flush (opitonal-i also added extra stablity with silicone adhesive-let dry)

Next follow the link at the top of this step...Its step by step on how to mount the projector

you also want to cut the stock rubber housing to make room for the projector connector

Once everything is on and staright DO NOT put the lens on yet until you test the projector

STEP 6: BALLAST/FUSE LOCATION AND WIRING

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?38222-How-To-Install-Morimoto-Stage-II-D2S-Kit

Using the supplied bracket ,mount your ballast to where it wont interfere with the fork tubes (i mounted mine right behind where the head light)
i forgot to snap a pic but this pic will work

Next zip tie the hid fuse/harness (i ziptied it on the left side of the bike)

Using the link at the begining of this step wire the harness and ziptie where you see fit

Once this is complete bring you headlight out and test fit everything to ensure function/ fitment

STEP 7: REASSEMBLE

To reseal the housing you can either put it back in the oven, if you think your new lights can handle the heat, or use the heat gun to melt and re-stick the glue in sections. I used the heat gun because I wasn’t sure about the lights. (opitional- i also put more silicone here)

Once that is done but everything back on you bike following this DIY backwards

Sit back and enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

612raven

thanks. im down to get it. Do i just order from the hid website? i still didnt quite see where to get it from.

cavcuz05

Added Website

short_guy

Dumb question removed :)

Last edited:

cavcuz05

Lets see some updates...i took some pics this past weekend when i was in New Symrna

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

linkgt

Awesome mod! Thought I probably don't have the patience to do it! Would be willing to pay someone in the future for it though.

cavcuz05

short_guy

The group buy should still be active, give Nate at TRS a call and he'll hook you up. I got the Gatling II shroud and think it looks great, others think it's too big for the housing.

The kit is definitely top quality though, I was impressed with how solid everything is. They stand behind the product too - I ended up with a bad bulb, and Nate shipped out a new one the same day. E-mailed on Wednesday, new bulb arrived Friday morning. Very impressed with their service.

[email protected]