Rebuilding a wrecked '09 fz6r

imwastefull

Hey guys, I'm an avid rider and motorcycle enthusiast but this is my first foray into a Modern Sportbike. I rebuild and ride vintage motorcycles, I have a '76 FLH, '74 shovel chop, '66 BSA a50, and the newest bike i've ever owned is a '97 1200 Sportster.
At any rate, one day I realized that everything i owned is as slow as pond scum so I got the itch for something fast and reliable.
So, I picked up an 09 Fz6r that had been laid down at some point. I got her home and realized that the damage isn't too bad. Luckily the PO had frame sliders so the engine suffered no damage. The plastics were off when i got her but they're trashed and also I'm missing the front fender.
The biggest issue is the left fork slider is cracked in half. I can't tell if the fork tube is bent as well but I have to imagine that it probably is.
At any rate, I plan to keep the fairing off, relocate the headlight and run her naked. (new plastic is just too expensive) She has a rebuilt title that needs to be inspected so i'm putting on new blinkers, mirrors and bars. Oh, also the passenger peg mount is broken.
THEN IM GOING TO RIDE THE PISS OUT OF HER.

Just a couple questions,
1 - what is a good website, resource for stock Fz6r parts? (i need a new seat, front fender, forks, etc.)
2 - are the front forks interchangeable with anything? R6 or F6 or anything like that?

thanks brothers!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

cheapcycleparts.com has every OEM part. You can get some fairings off ebay or even off this site, especially if you dont mind getting some scratched and painting them. Forget replacing the stock signals or mirrors they sucked, i think everyone is using flush mounts (might be an issue with no fairings) and i think Kawi mirrors but i cant remember the model. Also do NOT buy a new stock seat. They SUCK. use the search and look up "dirt road custom" they will take your existing seat and turn it into whatever you want. Here is a picture of mine, i had him add some red stiching and a patch with the tuning fork logo and its about 20x more comfortable than stock.

Sounds like a fun project and hope you get it up and running soon, your going to probably kick yourself in the *** for not getting a sport bike sooner :)

Attachments

imwastefull

Also, anyone know what all years and models I can use to replace my forks?

is it like 2009-12 fz6r have the same front ends?

latony007

hell yeah, thanks guys!

Tony, what did the recover of your seat cost?
It was around $200 but i didnt just have it recovered, i had it re-foamed and he changes the shape just slightly so its so much better. Before i could not be on it 30 minutes before it was irritating me and now i can pretty much ride most the day without it bothering me. If you do just a recover its definitely cheaper. Email Eddie he will go over all your options and even send you some material samples to help you choose.

Also, anyone know what all years and models I can use to replace my forks?

is it like 2009-12 fz6r have the same front ends?
I cant say if any other bike models will work but the FZ6R is unchanged from 09 to now so any year should work fine, well except for paint scheme and the passenger grab bar.

iaminsider

I believe he charges 75 a seat for recover. 150 a seat for recover and modification. At least that is what mine came out to.

latony007

I believe he charges 75 a seat for recover. 150 a seat for recover and modification. At least that is what mine came out to.
your probably about right for the front. i had both the front and back seats done both the cover and foam mod plus the stitching and patch.

It was way worth it wasnt it?

latony007

I don't know yet if it was worth it. I have only sat briefly on them. It is currently 5 degrees and snowing here.
LOL sorry about that. Im sure you will be able to get on it in a month or so :D

imwastefull

Thanks brothers! I appreciate the suggestions! I think i'll get the seat recovered, maybe some nice tuck and roll.

at any rate, I got to tear into her a little last night, but wasn't able to get her started. I could hear the fuel pump priming and she turned over smooth but she didn't start up.

Man, no petcock, no choke, can't use starting fluid or check the points. New bikes are a whole new world! How do you guys diagnose any problems?

imwastefull

So.... anyone know about fz6r clutches?

It was pretty warm here in Ohio so I went out to start up the bike. She kicked over easily and ran well (smoked quite a bit) BUT when i clicked the bike down into first, the engine clunked and shut off. I tried it a few more times with the same result.

Seems to me that the clutch is stuck from sitting. I can see that the cable is pulling the clutch release and the throw-out is working but is seems that the clutch isn't engaging.

any suggestions before i tear into her? to be honest, I was thinking about rolling her down a hill and popping the clutch a few times to see if it frees up.

Or are there any clutch adjustments i could make? think if it runs for a while and warms up it'll loosen?

Thanks in advance!

altima_boy

Probably checked this, but kickstand is up, right? There is a kill switch if put it in gear with the kickstand down.

Chucker

Probably checked this, but kickstand is up, right? There is a kill switch if put it in gear with the kickstand down.
Might be that the sidestand spring came off the safety switch or the switch was damaged during the crash. Check that it is all connected properly.